Beauty & Wellness

Who the hell would actually buy this for $499.99??? WTF?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2018 4:44 pm
Dec 10, 2006
200 posts
72 upvotes
The fact is: this hair dryer is the first true innovation in hair dryers and is the only one on the market with this technology. And it works. Of course they are going to charge a lot for it.

Yes dyson charges a lot for things, but if you don't have any competitors selling anything remotely as good than you have no reason to reduce your price.

I mean let's look at cordless vacuums. Who is their competition? Shark? There's nothing else really in the same league for cordless.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19404 posts
2876 upvotes
Poormond Hill
sonnyblack01 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2016 1:53 am
http://www.dyson.com/store/jake-dyson-lighting.aspx

Dyson is basically the apple of this crap. can't believe people actually buy this garbage. but be careful if you criticize their purchase, they will say "hey! but its professional, it is quality !!!"

CSYS Floor Silver
Powerful light precisely where you need it.
$899.00
Mods, please tell op to stop trolling!
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28750 posts
4550 upvotes
Ottawa
Why be mad or upset with Dyson...they only make and sell what people will buy.
It's alright if you don't agree with me... I can't force you to be right. - Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
8013 posts
801 upvotes
Montreal, QC
sonnyblack01 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2016 2:02 am
Because this is spending money on ridiculous and stupid things. that $20k phone is 20k cus of the gold in it i believe. theres a difference between spending money on fancy cars, or fancy watches. if i was filthy rich, i would buy a rolls royce, etc. but i would never in my life spend this kind of money on stupid items, a lamp? a hair dryer? a fork? a spoon? a metal coat hanger? nail clipper? scissors? whats next? james dyson toilet paper for $600 for 12 pack?
The ultra rich usually buy things not because it makes sense any kind of sense, but because they can. Part of the psychology of being rich is the elitism that goes with it; the ability to own things that others can't. What's the point of a gold toilet bowl? There really isn't any, but the point is that a rich person can buy one and a poor person cannot.

There's no point in thinking it through. Your mistake was assuming that rich people are anymore rational than regular people; they're just as irrational, but they have more means.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2611 posts
181 upvotes
Imo it's not whole lot if you're willing to save up to buy either one those high end merchandise for your boss on Christmas. I'm sure the boss will be delightfully impressed by your intentional brown-nosing.
Mar 6, 2014
371 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
eldiablo wrote:
Dec 29th, 2016 1:55 am

People have money and are willing to spend it..so what?
This is different: a person who uses this phone probably also feels the need for having an armored BMW, will never fly with public airlines and have bodyguards following their children around. While it is totally unnecessary for us, shit just needs to hit the fan once for them.
Mar 6, 2014
371 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Becks wrote:
Dec 26th, 2016 5:13 pm
I use a sub $20 hairdryer and it works just fine. The return on investment on an expensive hairdryer yields diminishing returns the more u spend. Maybe the suckers in this thread should move to Vancouver where the naturally soft water makes a huge difference in how your hair turns out.
I also use a cheap hairdryer, but I am a dude. I remember one time I dried my hair by using one of those hand dryers at the public pool washroom. Like many men, my hair is short and dries within 1 minute.

In contrast, my gf have lots of hair, like the girl in sexyj's avatar. Watching her dry her long hair is like watching her make a cake. Shes gotta towel dry first and spray some sort of volumizer, and then she blow drys it for at least 10 minutes, the entire time she needs to tilt her head downwards so the hair is tangling perpendicular with the ground with the help of gravity.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
13990 posts
954 upvotes
Is the OP going to make a thread for everything he thinks is overpriced? :facepalm:
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2015
2573 posts
425 upvotes
BC
Look, you're not the target demographic but I can't help but think the rage is related to jealousy. Live and let live :) Cheers!
Go Raptors, Go!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7217 posts
489 upvotes
Toronto
About the lamp. Has anyone set foot in highend furniture stores? I personally detest Ikea furniture and shop elsewhere but some of these stores like "ELTE" I did a 180 as soon as I saw a 7k coffee table that looked like a disco ball.

I've walked into some of the high end stores on king east. Man some of the stuff is insane. This is toronto, people have money. Empty nesters who sold their home and want a really trendy condo. Saudi kids spendi spending parents money via interior designers

However if you feel this dyson lamp is the exact item you need to "set off your living room" so be it.

How many rfd'ers buy burberry scarves and wallets?

To each their own.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
4706 posts
2886 upvotes
North York
So my aunt-in-law (if that is a term, my wife's aunt) came to visit us from China. And her daughter-in-law is asking her to buy this $500 Dyson hair dryer.

While I have no business in their money or what they choose to do with it, I feel somewhat angry. And it is like this:
The aunt isn't rich, and she is the saving kind (not cheap, just extra careful of what she spends her money on).
The daughter-in-law isn't making huge amount of money either, just a typical average low-medium wage in China. Her upbringing isn't of a rich/wealthy family either. But her spendings have been (way too) "extravagant", more to the show-offs and the braggings, as will this hair dryer be. And according to people in the family, this daughter-in-law isn't treating the aunt nicely, and occasionally ignores her.
The aunt is worrying that when she gets older, no one else will take care of her except this daughter-in-law. So now she tries to do everything in the favour of this daughter-in-law hoping that something would be returned in the future.

From what we see, doubt it is happening. Seeing all the things that have been given to this daughter-in-law (car, money, maybe half of the condo in Beijing, etc.) and she's not really in appreciation of anything. I am somewhat angry, and trying to shift the anger towards this hair dryer.

Sure, people have money, and they can spend on what they want. But in this situation, where I am obliged to help buying this hair dryer, oh am I pissed.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11405 posts
1609 upvotes
City of Vancouver
^ You can lie and say the dryer is out of stock due to xmas. Or, u can keep it real and say u don't want to enable ur aunt-in-law from being a treated like a doormat by the daughter-in-law.