Sports & Recreation

Who knew??? HOCKEY is actually one of the National Sports of Canada. For 14 yrs now!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2014 9:41 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2004
2983 posts
583 upvotes

Who knew??? HOCKEY is actually one of the National Sports of Canada. For 14 yrs now!

I just found this out today and absolutely amazed that how myself, and some other very close friends never new this.

Hockey has been the OFFICIAL WINTER SPORT in Canada since May 12, 1994.

LINK to the GOV'T OF CANADA Heritage website.

National Sports of Canada Act

CHAPTER N-16.7 (1994, c. 16)

[N-16.7]

An Act to recognize hockey and lacrosse as the national sports of Canada

[Assented to 12th May, 1994]

Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate and House of Commons of Canada, enacts as follows:

SHORT TITLE

Short title

1. This Act may be cited as the National Sports of Canada Act.

NATIONAL SPORTS OF CANADA

Hockey and lacrosse to be national sports

2. The game commonly known as ice hockey is hereby recognized and declared to be the national winter sport of Canada and the game commonly known as lacrosse is hereby recognized and declared to be the national summer sport of Canada.
LEGO BUY SELL TRADE HERE

HOCKEY IS one of Canada's National Sports, Since 1994!!!! MORE INFO IN THIS THREAD

SARCASM - Because arguing with stupid people isn't nearly as much fun!!!
23 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
294 upvotes
Midland
Whether or not hockey is an "official" sport of Canada, it is our game de facto. Just like English is the de facto (not "official") language of the United States.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2005
1299 posts
2 upvotes
Richmond Hill
i had no idea. .. always thought it was only lacrosse. nice to know though.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2004
2983 posts
583 upvotes
aw3s0me wrote:
Jan 27th, 2008 3:09 am
i had no idea. .. always thought it was only lacrosse. nice to know though.

That's exactly my point....I would guess very few, especially that were in school prior to 1994, would actually know this.

I have always been under the impression that it's just Lacrosse...and nothing against Lacrosse, I have always thought it should be Hockey, as do a lot of others...when in fact, it's been a National Sport for Canada for a long time.
LEGO BUY SELL TRADE HERE

HOCKEY IS one of Canada's National Sports, Since 1994!!!! MORE INFO IN THIS THREAD

Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
294 upvotes
Midland
As I said before, it makes no difference what the government has put down on paper as our official sport. Everyone knows that hockey is Canada's sport in reality. I used to hear that lacrosse was our "official" sport and I used to laugh.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
2351 posts
1 upvote
Dude You Live In Canada!
This Fact Is A Given Man, Its Embarrassing Not To Know This
I have "heatware", "howardforums", and 'RFD" all positive over 60+ referrals under the same screen-name!
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2005
2649 posts
48 upvotes
Bay Area
I always thought it was...
hmm. you learn something new every day
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2004
2983 posts
583 upvotes
LeeBoA wrote:
Jan 29th, 2008 3:13 am
Dude You Live In Canada!
This Fact Is A Given Man, Its Embarrassing Not To Know This
It wasn't a "GIVEN" prior to 1994...and that's my point...I would guess that most that were in elementry or HS prior to 94 don't know this.

When were you?

And honestly, since this discovery, you're the first to know something about it...
LEGO BUY SELL TRADE HERE

Apr 24, 2007
482 posts
9 upvotes
i knew that it was

hockey is Canada's national winter sport and lacrosse is Canada's national summer sport
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
14359 posts
3542 upvotes
robskot wrote:
Jan 29th, 2008 10:12 pm
It wasn't a "GIVEN" prior to 1994...and that's my point...I would guess that most that were in elementry or HS prior to 94 don't know this.
I guess you're 14 years late then. ;)
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2006
2939 posts
46 upvotes
Really that many of you didn't know about this? I found out when I was 11. But then again, it might have something to do with my friend giving a presentation in class about lacrosse being the national SUMMER sport of Canada and hockey being the WINTER sport.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9835 posts
2969 upvotes
Ottawa
dimlight wrote:
Jan 31st, 2008 10:20 pm
i knew that it was

hockey is Canada's national winter sport and lacrosse is Canada's national summer sport
Maybe they should replace lacrosse with soccer or baseball or some other sports for the summer. No disrespect to the lacrosse fans here but I would rather go see the Jays (and yes it's a boring sport to watch) play than attending a lacrosse game.
[removed]
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2004
2983 posts
583 upvotes
canabiz wrote:
Feb 1st, 2008 12:01 am
Maybe they should replace lacrosse with soccer or baseball or some other sports for the summer. No disrespect to the lacrosse fans here but I would rather go see the Jays (and yes it's a boring sport to watch) play than attending a lacrosse game.
That, and really kinda funny cuz the National Lacrosse League plays in the winter!!! (yes, I realize cuz it's indoor!)
LEGO BUY SELL TRADE HERE

Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3661 posts
168 upvotes
Montreal
Why do I keep thinking 1994 is 6 years ago :confused: :lol:
Heatware: 2-0-0
eBay: 69-0-0

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)