Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
3010 posts
192 upvotes
Waterloo

Who owns who?

well i found this on my friend's blog...
http://ablogforall.blogspot.com/
[QUOTE]
Car Companies or Company?
In the fast growing automobile market, there are always competition with the rival companies. However, you do not realize that in reality they are actually competing with themselves. I am here to get the record straight and show you the consumer the truth about car companies and their ownerships.

BMW owns

* BMW
* Mini
* Rolls Royce
* Evidence: BMW designed the new Rolls Royce Phantom

DaimlerChrysler owns

* AMC (discontinued)
* DaimlerChrysler
* Dodge
* Eagle (discontinued)
* Hyundai (10% Ownership)
* Jeep
* Maybach
* Mercedes-Benz
* Mitsubishi (34% Ownership and strategic partner)
* Plymouth (discontinued)
* C-Smart
* Evidence: Jeep Cherokee and Mitsubishi Endeavor same platform, 300c Hemi used Benz parts

Fiat owns

* Alfa Romeo
* Ferrari
* Fiat
* Lancia
* Maserati
* Tata (Tata is not owned by Fiat but is a strategic partner)
* Evidence: Ferrari and Maserati dealerships, Tata helps design the Ferrari engines

Ford owns

* Aston Martin
* Ford
* Jaguar
* Land Rover (previously BMW)
* Lincoln
* Mazda (33% ownership)
* Mercury
* Volvo
* Evidence: Ford SUVs and Lincoln SUVs have same platforms, Mazda Tribute, Mercury Mariner and Ford Escape have the same platform, Mercury Sable had a counterpart Ford Sable

Fuji Heavy Industries owns

* Subaru
* Evidence: Using aerospace technology for designing their cars

General Motors owns

* Buick
* Cadillac
* Chevrolet (Chevy)
* Daewoo (45% ownership)
* Fuji Heavy Industries (20% ownership)
* GMC Trucks
* Holden
* Hummer
* Isuzu (60% ownership)
* Oldsmobile (discontinued)
* Opel
* Pontiac
* Saab
* Saturn
* Suzuki
* Vauxhall
* Evidence: GMC Envoy, Chevy Trailblazer, Buick Rainer, Oldsmobile Bravada share the same platform, dealership signs, GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade, Chevy Tahoe share the same platform, most of the cars in GM are platform cars, shared with all the companies

Honda owns

* Acura
* Honda
* Evidence: Acura MDX and Honda Pilot share the same platform, Acura EL and Honda Civic have the same platform, value of cars in loss per year relatively the same

Hyundai owns

* Hyundai
* KIA
* Evidence: some Hyundai and KIA vehicles share the same engines

Nissan owns

* Infiniti
* Nissan
* Renault (15% ownership)
* Evidence: Infiniti QX56 and Nissan Armada share the same platform, Infiniti M35 is based on the Nissan Altima and Maxima platforms, Infinti G35 Coupe and Nissan 350z share the same platform, dealership signs

PSA Peugeot Citroen owns

* Citroen
* Peugeot
* Evidence: Peugeot 107 and the Citroen C1 share the same platform

Porsche owns no one but Volkswagen's strategic partner (for evidence see Volkswagen)

Toyota owns

* Daihatsu (51% ownership)
* Lexus
* Scion
* Toyota
* Evidence: Toyota Camry shares the platform with the Lexus RX330 and the Lexus GS, Scion is apart of Toyota's dealerships, All Lexus SUVs share Toyota SUV platforms

Volkswagen owns

* Audi
* Bentley
* Bugatti
* Lamborghini
* SEAT
* Skoda
* Volkswagen(VW)
* Evidence: VW Tourage, Audi Allroad, Porsche Cayenne share the same platforms, Adolph Hitler drew the VW Beetle on a napkin and gave it to Fernanad "Porsche" who later created VW

I hope that this list can make you a better consumer. For example, if you looking for a luxury car, look for it's counterpart in another company. This counterpart can be cheaper and still be the same such the Cadillac Escalade and the GMC Yukon, if the Yukon is bought instead of the Escalade, the owner can save $40 000 and still have the same SUV!

In the business world, every single company is merging with another one. It is showing that there is no such thing as an independent company anymore. Porsche, is independent but still has to work with VW in order to still be successful. From the looks of this, it will be quite normal and maybe expected that these 13 companies can soon be a smaller number[/QUOTE]
:arrow: :arrowl:
12 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2005
2986 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
Great info, thanks! :)
DaimlerChrysler owns

* AMC (discontinued)
* DaimlerChrysler
* Dodge
* Eagle (discontinued)
* Hyundai (10% Ownership)
* Jeep
* Maybach
* Mercedes-Benz
* Mitsubishi (34% Ownership and strategic partner)
* Plymouth (discontinued)
* C-Smart
* Evidence: Jeep Cherokee and Mitsubishi Endeavor same platform, 300c Hemi used Benz parts
More car companies to stay away from other than just MB :-0
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
1674 posts
4 upvotes
That report means nothing
any car company can just start a seperate entity and create one product under that entity and they can say they own it.
For the most part, companies do this to protect their assets, for example and not picking on anyone. but if pontiac does bad, GM can just put pontiac into bankruptcy protection and then it won't affect the other assets of GM since they are run as seperate corporate entities.

That list is still missing something so i dunno how informative it is, but Toyota owns Hino
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2004
4952 posts
1086 upvotes
nx2k wrote:That report means nothing
any car company can just start a seperate entity and create one product under that entity and they can say they own it.
For the most part, companies do this to protect their assets, for example and not picking on anyone. but if pontiac does bad, GM can just put pontiac into bankruptcy protection and then it won't affect the other assets of GM since they are run as seperate corporate entities.

That list is still missing something so i dunno how informative it is, but Toyota owns Hino
now THAT is good business
"I live my life a quarter-mile at a time, for those 10 seconds or less... i'm free."
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2002
3341 posts
5 upvotes
They don't exactly try to hide this. It's not a big conspiracy or anything.

Go to www.ford.com and you will see the logos of all the companies they own right in the middle of the screen for example.
Dec 2, 2004
927 posts
Nissan owns

* Infiniti
* Nissan
* Renault (15% ownership)
* Evidence: Infiniti QX56 and Nissan Armada share the same platform, Infiniti M35 is based on the Nissan Altima and Maxima platforms, Infinti G35 Coupe and Nissan 350z share the same platform, dealership signs

Actually it's more like Renault owning 45% of Nissan and Renault guy running Nissan that turned the company around.
Feb 8, 2005
621 posts
GM owns Suzuki, not just strategic partners? And I thought it was GM who owned a stake in Hyundai.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9294 posts
415 upvotes
prannay wrote:Just, an update Ford does not own Mazad no more. They bought out their share 6-12 months back. Mazad is it own company.
http://www.ford.com says otherwise :p

But that picture representation is dated :D

Toyota should be the 2nd largest yellow circle :D
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2004
1708 posts
18 upvotes
North York
Nice list but i don't get the "evidence" lines. This info is readily available on the Internet, and just because two cars share some components doesn't mean one "owns" any part or all of another. For example the Toyota Aygo is pretty much the same car as the Citroen C1. Also who needs proof that Toyota own Lexus etc?
Nov 8, 2004
1480 posts
135 upvotes
careener wrote:Nice list but i don't get the "evidence" lines. This info is readily available on the Internet, and just because two cars share some components doesn't mean one "owns" any part or all of another. For example the Toyota Aygo is pretty much the same car as the Citroen C1. Also who needs proof that Toyota own Lexus etc?
or pontiac vibe and toyota matrix

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)