Shopping Discussion

Who pays to return a defective product to the company?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2014 11:38 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
2028 posts
170 upvotes
Ottawa, ON

Who pays to return a defective product to the company?

I ordered from a company and received the item. I'm not happy with it* and want to return it. It needs to be returned via parcel mail, and the company is saying I need to pay that expense as a cost of returning the item to them for a refund. To me, that isn't right, because I'm returning their defective item.

What do you think?

* To clarify, I'm not happy with it because the item I received is not the same quality as the item that was advertised.
30 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14136 posts
995 upvotes
CWatson87 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2014 9:46 am
I ordered from a company and received the item. I'm not happy with it and want to return it. It needs to be returned via parcel mail, and the company is saying I need to pay that expense as a cost of returning the item to them for a refund. To me, that isn't right, because I'm returning their defective item.

What do you think?
If that is their return policy than that is their policy. They really don't even need to have any sort of return policy and you could be stuck dealing with the manufacturer.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Jun 23, 2013
402 posts
42 upvotes
Whitby
Better to loose out on $20 in shipping than $200 for the product.... don't be el' cheapo. Just pay up.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
1720 posts
87 upvotes
Barrie
I think if it's truly defective that they should pay for return shipping.

If you just don't like it, you should pay.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2007
3015 posts
262 upvotes
Kingston
That's the cost of doing business only.

Legally the business doesn't have to deal with the item, and send you directly to deal with the manufacture for warranty issues.

Don't like the product? Should've checked it out in a store aka doing your research beforehand.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
30649 posts
5543 upvotes
Ottawa
Your title indicates defective product, your post indicates you don't like the product.
Two very different circumstances and the company may have a policy for each.
Which is it?
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
Return policies are not a right but something offered by retailers as a form of customer service. If you don't like the return policy of a particular company don't buy from them. It is the job of the customer to make sure they know the policies of the company they are dealing with before purchasing. If the policy is that the customer pays for the return then the OP should have searched out this information before purchasing instead of complaining about it now. If the product is defective deal with the manufacture warranty as they may not charge for shipping or may have a local repair center.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
2028 posts
170 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Ojam wrote:
Jan 1st, 2014 10:37 am
If that is their return policy than that is their policy. They really don't even need to have any sort of return policy and you could be stuck dealing with the manufacturer.
They are the manufacturer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
2028 posts
170 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jan 1st, 2014 11:53 am
Your title indicates defective product, your post indicates you don't like the product.
Two very different circumstances and the company may have a policy for each.
Which is it?
Defective product: the product as advertised was not the item I received.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2004
1518 posts
362 upvotes
That's the price of not doing your due diligence.

All companies list their return policies on their websites. Be an informed consumer and learn the policy before you buy.
:arrowu: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowl: :arrow: :arrowl: :arrow: B A
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
198 upvotes
Surrey
CWatson87 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2014 2:57 pm
Defective product: the product as advertised was not the item I received.
A different item is not a defective item. What are there terms of sale you agreed to when making the initial transaction when it comes to this scenario?
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6083 posts
745 upvotes
If you buy something from a local store and for some reason there is a problem with it then you have to take it back for the refund and the cost of driving back to the store is at your expense. The store does not send a prepaid taxi to pick you up. Same thing online. You are usually responsible for the cost of the return of an item, no matter what the reason for the return.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
2028 posts
170 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
iamnotamerican.com wrote:
Jan 1st, 2014 3:02 pm
A different item is not a defective item. What are there terms of sale you agreed to when making the initial transaction when it comes to this scenario?
Sure it is: the item they advertised is not the item I received. Either the item I received is defective or they committed fraud.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
It might help to know where the company is located.