Students

Who pays your tuition?

Poll: Who pays your tuition?

• Total votes: 224. You have voted on this poll.
I do, every last dime!

40%
My parents/guardians do, I lead a sheltered life!

26%
I split it with my parents/guardians.

25%
I have it paid for by a third party (explain).

8%
Jun 29, 2005
906 posts
25 upvotes
12k / year highschool, baby.

Parents pay it... and they said they'll pay for my university tuition if i get into MIT - 35k / year everythign included. Blink.

Atleast next summer I can make 10-15k working in a lab. =\
xIcewind
Deal Fanatic
Nov 27, 2004
9253 posts
1368 upvotes
Toronto
xIcewind wrote:12k / year highschool, baby.

Parents pay it... and they said they'll pay for my university tuition if i get into MIT - 35k / year everythign included. Blink.

Atleast next summer I can make 10-15k working in a lab. =\
now were just bragging

lol.
Koodo Mobile Plan | $30 20gb plan
Virgin Plus Internet Plan | $45 300mbps plan

WTS: Keyboards
Jun 29, 2005
906 posts
25 upvotes
oops? =P

I'm appreciative of my family letting me do things as a hobby [working in a lab] during the summer, instead of working. Sorry if that seemed like bragging.=\

Just next year i'll be able to make 10-15k and buy my parents a nice laptop each or something, as a thank you for all the hard work they put into my schooling and life.
xIcewind
Jun 29, 2005
894 posts
Scholarships in first year, RESP's for 2nd and 3rd year and then my parent's and I split what's left for my remaining years.
Heat: (88-0-0)
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2003
2651 posts
85 upvotes
Winnipeg
I have paid for every year's (4) tuition myself. I also pay all of my own living expenses (rent, food, etc.). The only things my parents have paid for is part of my car (at the end of highschool) and the license and registration fee for the car (for the last few years). A little extra money would be nice, but I am proud of the fact I am able to support myself. I only work during the summer...no part time or casual during the school year. Oh, my great grandpa gives me some money every year to put towards school :) .

The only student loans I have are the ones I got when I said "I do" :| :-0 :lol: ;) :mad: :D
Scotty is a cheap mofo and loves to get a deal!

HEATWARE
Apr 26, 2004
611 posts
tharsan wrote:So where does your disposable income come from? Parents give you an allowance too?
I have some saving from working at shoppers during high school and before university started. It was minimal, works out to be like $20 a week for 3 years
Apr 26, 2004
611 posts
purple_rabbit wrote:There is nothing wrong with having parents pay for your tuition. It's going towards a good cause, and in the end they want you to succeed, don't they? There is nothing wrong in giving someone a lil push in the right direction. My parents tell me, "enjoy your university life, because you'll be working all your life!". And its true too...

You know what's wrong? Parents giving money to kids so that they can buy a beamer or some stupid thing like that. You're a student for godsake, live like one. I think the real issue here is not all parents teach their children the value of money (albeit if you're on RFD, you probably know the value of money anyhow :lol: ).
My parents worked their buds off to help me graduate too. I couldn't get a penny from OSAP. But I know people that got like $5000, because his parents are offically retired and no income. They have tones of cash (probably government didn't know how to check). So when he got $5000 osap in the first year, he went to get a new ride.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2002
3307 posts
26 upvotes
purple_rabbit wrote:You know what's wrong? Parents giving money to kids so that they can buy a beamer or some stupid thing like that. You're a student for godsake, live like one. I think the real issue here is not all parents teach their children the value of money (albeit if you're on RFD, you probably know the value of money anyhow :lol: ).
And how exactly is it that a student should live? I agree with everything you said except for that one line.
rdarkman68 wrote:My parents worked their buds off to help me graduate too. I couldn't get a penny from OSAP. But I know people that got like $5000, because his parents are offically retired and no income. They have tones of cash (probably government didn't know how to check). So when he got $5000 osap in the first year, he went to get a new ride.
Yeah, I have a friend like that. Kinda annoying, but what can you do.

Anyways, I'm paying for my own tuition, expenses, rent, etc. Not paying to live at home of course when I'm not at school. Money's not 'too' tight, plenty of spending (which I need to cut back on a bit, hehe). Money is also available from my mom if I need it. Also have another source I can borrow from. And I have another 10K on my VISA which I hope I will never need, but its there.
Aug 3, 2005
222 posts
thephenom wrote:Own cash + OSAP.

Same here....God im really not looking forward to paying it all back > :(
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2005
2313 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Parents pay my tuitions for now.. but I want to start mayping for myself, except my seasonal isn't helping too much ..
Feb 16, 2005
435 posts
68 upvotes
Richmond Hill
money has been saved since the day i was born. ive got GICs & RESPs in my name for my disposal :D

this means no OSAP :evil: so i can earn interest on my other money.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9931 posts
1371 upvotes
Saved up work money from highschool, good coop placements, some part time during the year and some help from the school. =)
Jun 8, 2005
15 posts
Charlottetown
My parents were smart and started an RESP early, as well as other growth funds for my education. So that pays for it (dual degree at Queen's).
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
1502 posts
49 upvotes
Montreal
Avenger wrote:I just thought it would be interesting to see the breakdown

Anopther thought - if you are paying your own tuition, are you working full time to afford it, or did you take time off to save up?

I myself work full time while in school, and always have since early highschool to save up.
Ditto :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)