Automotive

Who is responsible for damage done while towing?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2018 9:17 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2393 posts
1270 upvotes
Montreal

Who is responsible for damage done while towing?

Just saw a video of tow truck driver yanking a FWD car backward while front tires are on ground and forcing one of the tires to spin backwards. Granted the car was in a tow zone, but it made me think in situations like this, if the transmission or differential is damaged, or the tow truck just towed it all the way like that, or towing a AWD vehicle on two wheels, who would be responsible for the damage?

23 replies
Jul 9, 2014
110 posts
33 upvotes
Ottawa/Waterloo
Lmao, I literally binge-watched 80% of that channel a couple days ago. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2393 posts
1270 upvotes
Montreal
thedoctorr wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 11:01 am
Lmao, I literally binge-watched 80% of that channel a couple days ago. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Lol, apparently Youtube decided people all love towing videos and recommended these to everyone.
Sep 8, 2017
742 posts
576 upvotes
GTA
Not to mention the parking brake might be on as they tow the vehicle. That could easily destroy the brakes.

Does anyone know who runs that channel? Is it the towing company? The property owner who keeps having people park there?
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
1561 posts
404 upvotes
B.C.
derass wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 2:17 pm
Not to mention the parking brake might be on as they tow the vehicle. That could easily destroy the brakes.

Does anyone know who runs that channel? Is it the towing company? The property owner who keeps having people park there?
The FAQ mentions that it's the property owner (or business owner).

I wonder where they are located.

I find it amusing that street parking always seems to be available in this videos too.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9199 posts
1577 upvotes
Montréal
Ya, that video's in my feed also. May comment later lol.

EDIT:
Entertaining video. Not sure how else the tow truck could've gotten the Jeep out of that spot. I'd say it's tough luck, no as if he could get int the vehicle, put it in neutral and switch on the hazards.

Couple's not too bright but that girl's fine though lol.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2393 posts
1270 upvotes
Montreal
tranquility922 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 3:17 pm
Ya, that video's in my feed also. May comment later lol.

EDIT:
Entertaining video. Not sure how else the tow truck could've gotten the Jeep out of that spot. I'd say it's tough luck, no as if he could get int the vehicle, put it in neutral and switch on the hazards.

Couple's not too bright but that girl's fine though lol.
Technically they are suppose to put dolly under the drive wheel, which you can see on back of tow truck.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9199 posts
1577 upvotes
Montréal
jzmtl wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 4:01 pm
Technically they are suppose to put dolly under the drive wheel, which you can see on back of tow truck.
It's possible to tow w/o 'hurting' that vehicle? I dunno the mechanics of towing.
Sep 8, 2017
742 posts
576 upvotes
GTA
I must say, those are super sneaky tow trucks.

Everything can be done from the cab. I've never seen that before. On more basic trucks the operator has to get out.

It's a difference of like 10 seconds vs 60+
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3889 posts
791 upvotes
Toronto
jzmtl wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 10:59 am
Just saw a video of tow truck driver yanking a FWD car backward while front tires are on ground and forcing one of the tires to spin backwards. Granted the car was in a tow zone, but it made me think in situations like this, if the transmission or differential is damaged, or the tow truck just towed it all the way like that, or towing a AWD vehicle on two wheels, who would be responsible for the damage?
The towing company would be responsible (via their insurance) if there's any damage. That said, in order to get your car back from the impound lot, they'll probably try to get you to sign release papers that include a waiver for any damage that may have been caused - so if you sign them and get out of there like I imagine most people do, if you realize on the way home that it drives funny, you're probably in a difficult situation.
Aug 26, 2018
212 posts
138 upvotes
They should be responsible for damages but good luck on trying to get anything from them. Plus, transmission damage might not be obvious like surface damage. Good luck noticing and even proving that also. Unless you have surveillance tapes, there's no proof they didn't put dolly's under the car either.

You see people towing AWD like that too using these trucks with the back wheels spinning because they are connected. They should be towed on a flatbed or at least using dollys with these tow trucks. Look at this audi quattro being towed and all wheels spinning:

These guys don't care man. They just tow you and ring the cash register. Don't illegally park and the chances these guys mess up your car is slimmer.
Aug 26, 2018
212 posts
138 upvotes
derass wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 4:50 pm
I must say, those are super sneaky tow trucks.

Everything can be done from the cab. I've never seen that before. On more basic trucks the operator has to get out.

It's a difference of like 10 seconds vs 60+
A lot of repo trucks are like that. They need to be in and out to avoid confrontation. Some repoman take pride in being able to tow your car in under a minute. You can be at home and not notice your car was taken away.

I've seen a news coverage of some repo man who used every tech available. He uses drones to check if the person is home. How many is home. Who might be a possible aggressor (such as a BF), and then he goes in with his truck, snatches the car and repos it back for the bank in 30s. Literally drives by with tow hook down, backs into the car, then drives off.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17028 posts
2014 upvotes
Langley
The tow truck driver is responsible. However, the problem is proving that any damage came from the tow. Skidding wheels for a few feet isn't going to damage a car. For a few km, it might, but the damage might be an AWD system that fails 8 years later when it would have otherwise failed 10 years later.

Also, if the topic interests you.. Check out Reponut on youtube. Frequent confrontations because he mostly repos cars from people who are behind on bills. Sometimes people are fine but overall it's fairly entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/user/RepoNut

Over the course the last few years... his wife died of cancer, he fell into depression, and his tow truck was repossessed. Not a happy ending but there were some interesting videos along the way.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9199 posts
1577 upvotes
Montréal
i6s1 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 8:08 pm
The tow truck driver is responsible. However, the problem is proving that any damage came from the tow. Skidding wheels for a few feet isn't going to damage a car. For a few km, it might, but the damage might be an AWD system that fails 8 years later when it would have otherwise failed 10 years later.

Also, if the topic interests you.. Check out Reponut on youtube. Frequent confrontations because he mostly repos cars from people who are behind on bills. Sometimes people are fine but overall it's fairly entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/user/RepoNut

Over the course the last few years... his wife died of cancer, he fell into depression, and his tow truck was repossessed. Not a happy ending but there were some interesting videos along the way.
Ouch, that's ironic.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)