Computers & Electronics

Who sells batteries, called 18650, found inside laptop battery packs?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 18th, 2018 10:56 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 23, 2015
376 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

Who sells batteries, called 18650, found inside laptop battery packs?

I know they are sold online for about $1 each but is there a place that sells them locally? preferably in Mississauga or at least Toronto?

I know these no-name batteries don't last as much as the genuine ones but I think they are significantly cheaper when price is taken into account, agree?
24 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
BizDeveloper wrote: I know they are sold online for about $1 each but is there a place that sells them locally? preferably in Mississauga or at least Toronto?

I know these no-name batteries don't last as much as the genuine ones but I think they are significantly cheaper when price is taken into account, agree?
Any good Vape shop will stock them

(Vape shop being those e cigarette stores). Don't expect the employee to know anything just go in knowing you want the battery.

Also they're not going to be $1/ea it's going to be about $12+tax/ea
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
BizDeveloper wrote: I know they are sold online for about $1 each but is there a place that sells them locally? preferably in Mississauga or at least Toronto?

A $1.00ea ?, maybe in your dreams and your dad owned the store !
Locally they cost like $10.00+ea and about $5.00 online !

The ones you should be getting is the Samsung INR18650-25R2 or INR18650-25R5 if you vape !
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43247 upvotes
ONTARIO

You could always go to dollarama, buy the cheap powerbanks they sell and take the 18650 batteries that are inside.
Feb 23, 2015
376 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
EdT586 wrote: A $1.00ea ?, maybe in your dreams and your dad owned the store !
Locally they cost like $10.00+ea and about $5.00 online !

The ones you should be getting is the Samsung INR18650-25R2 or INR18650-25R5 if you vape !
No-name ones, lasts about 25% less
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3-7-V-4500mAh-TR ... Sw9N1VraSy

Not for vaping, for rebuilding laptop battery
Feb 23, 2015
376 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
BobSagget wrote: You could always go to dollarama, buy the cheap powerbanks they sell and take the 18650 batteries that are inside.
I will look into that, what is a powerbank? Something to charge your phone when not in car or home?
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
BizDeveloper wrote: No-name ones, lasts about 25% less
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3-7-V-4500mAh-TR ... Sw9N1VraSy

Not for vaping, for rebuilding laptop battery
It depends on the current as well, those cheap ones like Ultrafire or Trustfire won't do more than 5A before they explode in your face.
Some of the one used in laptops are pretty decent LG, Samsung or Sanyo cells.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
BizDeveloper wrote: I will look into that, what is a powerbank? Something to charge your phone when not in car or home?
Those cheap powerbanks cost like $3ea, why bother when you can get a quality cell for that money.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43247 upvotes
ONTARIO
BizDeveloper wrote: I will look into that, what is a powerbank? Something to charge your phone when not in car or home?
Yes.
I'm not sure what the quality would be like though. But if you're desperate...

They look like this:

Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2006
6364 posts
776 upvotes
Toronto
I used to use AW protected ones for vaping. They're some of the best because they have built in protection.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
Havo wrote: I used to use AW protected ones for vaping. They're some of the best because they have built in protection.
Protection is not really needed with newer INR and IMR batteries, only ICR batteries are the only ones I would get with protection.
The extra length of the protection circuit board can be an issue with most mods plus the added expense.
May 12, 2008
83 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
I have some Panasonic 18650 Li-ion Battery NH12210 3100mAh (flat top) - $9.00 each
and Samsung ICR18650-30A 3000mAh (flat top) - $7.50 each

Send me a pm if you are interested.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2014
1691 posts
1029 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
EdT586 wrote: The ones you should be getting is the Samsung INR18650-25R2 or INR18650-25R5 if you vape !
Why?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
BizDeveloper wrote: Not for vaping, for rebuilding laptop battery
Beware that rebuilding a laptop battery seems like a good idea until you realise the vast majority of laptop batteries also have some type of EEPROM or "chip" in them which means even if you replace the cells in the battery, you won't get the proper performance out of them. This is particularly true of batts from Dell and Lenovo, which if you search online you'll find people have tried to rebuild these in DIY fashion and have had pretty poor success. The resultant batteries still indicate they need to be replaced on the laptop (because it's still going off the old cycle counter/data) and despite lasting a bit longer, still don't last anywhere near as long as an actual new battery pack would.

There are methods to reset the chips in these things but they typically require [hardware] programmers as well as fine soldering/de-soldering skills or equipment, none of which make it cost-effective given what you can buy a new battery for.

In short if you're just trying to get a single laptop battery going again, just forget rebuilding and buy a new one.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
Sievert wrote: Why?
Safer chemistry for one and 25A+ continuous usage rating compared to 5A, cannot be overcharged or undercharged like ICR and explode in your face !
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21246 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Reviving thread... Any online shops to order from in Canada for a reliable 18650?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Apr 6, 2003
805 posts
145 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: Reviving thread... Any online shops to order from in Canada for a reliable 18650?
Reviving your revival.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
engineered wrote: Reviving thread... Any online shops to order from in Canada for a reliable 18650?
Prices in Canada are significantly higher than ordering from the U.S. or overseas. It depends how many you need, but if replacing cells in a large multi-cell battery pack, the cost adds up pretty quickly. It becomes more cost-effective to order to a U.S. pickup point and go pick it up. That also gives you more options on price vs. quality. The other hard part is trying to judge quality based on sketchy user reviews. Bigger U.S. suppliers have more reputation to judge by.