2019 Air Miles Shop the Block

Who is skipping shoptheblock altogether this year but have participated in previous years ?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2019 8:50 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 18, 2004
659 posts
150 upvotes

Who is skipping shoptheblock altogether this year but have participated in previous years ?

I’m just curious... I’m skipping this year... too much effort too little reward
43 replies
Aug 21, 2017
21 posts
44 upvotes
I did 7 last year with my gf's airmiles. This year I made my own collector's card and aiming to do 5 each. We both live downtown and no car so some offers are hard.
Hopefully Mega Miles 2020 won't get the same downgrade.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7207 posts
4585 upvotes
Canada
Only doing 5 offers. The downgrade is very bad. 7 offers isn't worth it anymore
Tangerine, Public Mobile, and Freedom Mobile customer
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
4424 posts
2066 upvotes
I too planned to do 5 offers for several accounts in the family. But now I think I can squeeze in 7. I am just debating I should grab the Rona's PL glue stick (today is the last day) as a backup if I can't not make it to 7.
Mar 31, 2012
22 posts
33 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I'm sadly skipping it for the first time. Too many first time signups that I cant do, not enough offers that I can do and high spend requirements
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11588 posts
1806 upvotes
Mississauga
It's not that hard. Here's an example of getting all 7 without too much effort:

- Sobey's $50 - everyone's gotta eat
- Shell 25L in gas or spend $10 in-store - almost everyone drives and if you don't, buy a gift card in the store.
- LCBO - $24 for two bottles of wine - give them away as Christmas gifts if you don't drink.
- Rexall $40 - get your household necessities here
- Lowe's $8 - buy construction adhesive (outdoor glue) - give it to a handy friend or donate if you won't use it.
- Rona $8 - see Lowe's
- Airmilesshops $100 - buy some stuff at Amazon.
Aug 23, 2010
562 posts
498 upvotes
GTA
I probably won't be doing 7 offers this time around but 3 or 5 is definitely attainable just buying things I need anyway. Like gas, groceries, Christmas shopping.
But some provinces might be harder than Ontario as well.
Aug 21, 2017
21 posts
44 upvotes
Talamasca wrote: It's not that hard. Here's an example of getting all 7 without too much effort:

- Sobey's $50 - everyone's gotta eat
- Shell 25L in gas or spend $10 in-store - almost everyone drives and if you don't, buy a gift card in the store.
- LCBO - $24 for two bottles of wine - give them away as Christmas gifts if you don't drink.
- Rexall $40 - get your household necessities here
- Lowe's $8 - buy construction adhesive (outdoor glue) - give it to a handy friend or donate if you won't use it.
- Rona $8 - see Lowe's
- Airmilesshops $100 - buy some stuff at Amazon.
Wasn't aware the Lowe's and Rona requirement was so low. I don't have a car and it looks like there aren't any easily accessible in downtown Toronto.
Same for Sobeys but there is an Urban Fresh or Foodland that's relatively easy to get to with public transit. I'll probably do Urban Fresh for a 5th requirement. I think the $50 in groceries I can get a lot more out of at No Frills than Urban Fresh or Foodland.
Rexall isn't too bad, but also I feel like I'm buying overpriced stuff to get the $40 requirement (45 if we use the survey coupon iirc) We like their floss. I wonder what RFD's go to items to buy at Rexall.
For Amazon, does giftcard qualify for STB? I have a few items I track on camelx3 and ideally I don't want to try and meet the $100 requirement to buy something I don't need or pay higher than the historical trending price.
Hopefully I'm not coming off as negative nancy as I appreciate any and all tips!
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11124 posts
8334 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
wormtail wrote: Wasn't aware the Lowe's and Rona requirement was so low. I don't have a car and it looks like there aren't any easily accessible in downtown Toronto.
Same for Sobeys but there is an Urban Fresh or Foodland that's relatively easy to get to with public transit. I'll probably do Urban Fresh for a 5th requirement. I think the $50 in groceries I can get a lot more out of at No Frills than Urban Fresh or Foodland.
Rexall isn't too bad, but also I feel like I'm buying overpriced stuff to get the $40 requirement (45 if we use the survey coupon iirc) We like their floss. I wonder what RFD's go to items to buy at Rexall.
For Amazon, does giftcard qualify for STB? I have a few items I track on camelx3 and ideally I don't want to try and meet the $100 requirement to buy something I don't need or pay higher than the historical trending price.
Hopefully I'm not coming off as negative nancy as I appreciate any and all tips!
GCs don’t qualify @ Amazon thru AMShops
(See their AMShops STORE INFO Pg = https://www.airmilesshops.ca/en/shops/amazon )

Lots of folks think Rexall ... like other Pharmacies (ie SDM) are over priced
But it’s really about knowing your prices
And shopping their flyers for Sales & Promos

The STB Rexall Offer of WUS $ 40 or more (December 2nd thru 15th) is not a huge hurdle
I find it quite easy to make it worthwhile / the effort
Especially if you shop the Weekend 2 or 3 Day Deals ... that typically appear on the first pg of the flyer in the “yellow box”
Eggs, Milk, Bread etc ... same or cheaper than other stores
Plus whatever else is well priced or on promo

Also besides the flyer
Look for other deals you can combine
As Rexall deals are almost always STACKABLE including the STB 2019 one

So other coupons in their flyers during the run of the STB Offer

Plus the $ 5 Off Total Spend Coupon
Or Bonus Miles from the AMs Website / App
(What we refer to here on RFD as Load & Go Offers ... in that you have to LOAD them to your AMs Card)

Or Manufacturer Coupons ... like the Proctor & Gamble ones etc

Lots of ways to make your money go further @ Rexall
Jun 18, 2018
949 posts
521 upvotes
Toronto
Planning on skipping it as well - I will probably get 3 partners done from purchases I already make, but I would have to go out of my way to get 5 offers done. I may do it if new offers come up, so we'll see...

7 is def out of the question, not worth it AT ALL... unless you have a new AM card
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1207 posts
523 upvotes
Ottawa
I've done 3 (all PL Premium) and 5 might be possible with Shell and Jean Coutu. But 7 is harder after IGA problems at checkout, and then factoring having to chase credits when they inevitably don't pay properly. Add that #6&7 are worth less than #4&5 (200AM@ vs 250AM@) and inevitably harder (since I do easiest first) means I'll likely stop at 5 and maybe at 3.
Oct 14, 2017
891 posts
676 upvotes
GTA
Electrah wrote: Planning on skipping it as well - I will probably get 3 partners done from purchases I already make, but I would have to go out of my way to get 5 offers done. I may do it if new offers come up, so we'll see...

7 is def out of the question, not worth it AT ALL... unless you have a new AM card
This. It looks like I'll do three partners, down from seven last year. I can do three without much change to my normal shopping pattern, just like last year. The difference is that I was willing to make the changes necessary to get to seven, including spending a bit more than usual for some things as well as making a purchase I wouldn't have, at least not until much later. This time, since it looks like I'd have to make more changes and effort for less return, unless more appealing offers are forthcoming, I'll do the three not too difficult ones and call it a day.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
2488 posts
1202 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: ...
...Plus the $ 5 Off Total Spend Coupon,..
Only coupon I find expired in September. anyone have a link?