2019 Air Miles Shop the Block

Who is skipping shoptheblock altogether this year but have participated in previous years ?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2019 8:50 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 23, 2011
302 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
Just doing five offers this year. Already got Shell, Sobeys Urban Fresh and Metro completed.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6110 posts
1910 upvotes
Montreal
Also only five this year .

Last year we did 7 on both my wife's and my account.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2006
2083 posts
1084 upvotes
Ontario
kiiaal wrote: Use the printable Rexall $5 off $25 coupon would help. Also, you can spend $40 before the coupon and still qualify for the AM promo threshold.

BTW, I easily completed all 7 partners already and I haven’t even shopped at Rexall yet.

Lowe’s
Rona
Sobeys
Metro
Ready Honda
Shell
AirmilesShop (Black Friday site wide 20x on top of the individual store’s multiplier plus the STB 50 BAMs is a great deal if you can find something >$100 to buy)
I did my 8th at Rexall. Maybe I'll return the glue to Rona but I only paid $4.80+tax (and getting 20 BAMs worth $2)

Ah...I'll keep it for that price. Cheap insurance in case Air Miles screws up tallying up all my qualifying partners.
Mar 16, 2013
41 posts
9 upvotes
B.C.
Skipped it this year out here in B.C.

I could've put a little effort in this year and got 5 offers but I really couldn't be bothered. Last year I spent alot of time back and forth on the phone to get my all 7 offers posted. If I hadn't taken screen shots and saved every receipt we wouldn't have got all the offers on our accounts.

That was also helping 4 others with this & getting their accounts sorted out. Not a very good way to advertise to people to join these kinds of promos.

Airmiles needs a better system. Maybe next year I'll be up for the aggravation lol
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
3094 posts
1347 upvotes
Waterloo
Max 2000 AM in 2018.
Max 1200 AM in 2019.
2020...maybe max 1000 AM :(
Mar 16, 2013
41 posts
9 upvotes
B.C.
crystallight wrote: Max 2000 AM in 2018.
Max 1200 AM in 2019.
Exactly.

Also the closest Safeway where I live recently closed down so that sucks. So between not going to Safeway like we used to and the program downgrades/hassles I'm thinking of getting rid of my BMO Airmiles card and maybe focusing on points instead.

I used to like these promos and it was a good way (minus the headache) to get bonus miles. But after getting the 5 offers I could have got, I'm not going to go out and buy a furnace or hearing aids to complete and get my 7. Don't quote me but it was something crazy like that. Whatever I read I was like yah forget it.........plus I was still annoyed from last time.

It was probably worse because I helped the 4 other people so I felt 5x the aggravation, but still in this day and age why can't they implement a better system for tracking plus find us some decent offers out here in B.C.

Plus how many people know to take screen shots, cell phone pics and to save their receipts for months otherwise they could be out of luck if their offers didn't go through?

Quite the turnaround for me & how I was so excited to get everyone on board with Airmiles last year lol
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6110 posts
1910 upvotes
Montreal
crystallight wrote: Max 2000 AM in 2018.
Max 1200 AM in 2019.
2500 in 2017, and you could do multiple offers from the same partner, that was too easy lol
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
3094 posts
1347 upvotes
Waterloo
Madevilz wrote: 2500 in 2017, and you could do multiple offers from the same partner, that was too easy lol
I did a quick rfd search and it seems 2017 was only 2000AM.

2016: 1900 AM
2017: 2000 AM
2018: 2000 AM
2019: 1200 AM

Damn...2019 got decreased by so much ☹️
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
3094 posts
1347 upvotes
Waterloo
I understand from a business perspective why they'd decrease the amount of air miles earned. In past years they probably expected people to spend more money on the offers than what was actually occurring.

For example, most people on RFD are probably spending the bare minimum or close to it. I've got 7 offers but only spent about $30 more than what I wouldve if there was no STB. So I'm making over $100 from this. If tons of people do the same then they're probably losing money, hence the decrease in AM.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11122 posts
8334 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
The one thing I have noticed this year is
YES ... the BIG BONUS Event Miles for STB 2019 are lower (now 1200 vs 2000)
YES ... perhaps the spending expectation is higher
(Example, LCBO no longer can you get by on a $ 15 bottle of wine ... it’s more like $ 30 Minimum)
BUT ...
There are more miles to be earned per PARTNER
And in many cases more offers per PARTNER
Or the ones that pay out STB Bonus Miles ... can be used more than once
(Ie Shell Gasoline 5 BAMs per use, up to 4x = 20 BAMs)
So although the PARTNER COUNT is just once ... there are lots of opportunities to pile on the miles in the STB 6 week run

PLUS ... I think AMs has kept their promise for 2019
Being a year of more opportunities to earn
Definitely more promotions vs last year
And more contests too

It’s up to each Collector though to decide how often they join in on these promos throughout the year
So the BIG EARNER in 2019 ... may not have been the person who just shows up for MegaMiles & STB BIG BONUS Events
(Of whom RFD has proven in the past there are many such Collectors)
But someone who tuned in all year and collected miles throughout the course of the year
(Example ... one of my biggest PARTNER earns this year was with Sobey’s Group ... by taking advantage of the 100 BAMs week’s & MY OFFERS App)

Two years ago, Sobey’s was probably ranked at # 5 or lower in my annual earn list
Now they are more like # 2

Cannot really blame AirMiles taking this strategy
Cuz their mandate is to deliver Collectors / Customers to the AMs PARTNERS
YEAR ROUND ... not just in the lead up to Christmas
But they maintain STB at a decent level ... so as to hopefully stay in the minds of AMs Collectors during this very important time of year for Retailers
Apr 23, 2008
938 posts
133 upvotes
Stay out this year shop the bloc, not worth it: lower rewards, time spent (shop unnecessary stuffs, read tips and tricks in the forum, organize receipts, chase missing miles...)
Rexall got worse, still not posted AM for the purchase month ago, it is tough to hang on to the receipt, keep the snap shot of the promo page waiting for 120 days to live chat with agent to chase the missing miles.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2016
1350 posts
1347 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It's getting obvious that shop the block is a failure this year based on the lack of forum activity at rfd.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2017
1242 posts
998 upvotes
Winnipeg
dotsandpixels wrote: It's getting obvious that shop the block is a failure this year based on the lack of forum activity at rfd.
Yeah, people are still doing it, myself included, but there's none of the excitement of previous years.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2009
1159 posts
575 upvotes
Calgary
This year actually isn't too bad.

Lowes Rona and Shell. Easy 3 offers for everyone.

Safeway, Sobeys, IGA. Easy 3 offers for someone.

Staples, Rexall, Airmile Travel/Shop. Not too bad.

This year actually isn't too bad to get $120 sweet cash back. At least get 3 is super easy.