Investing

who is taking profit after the Jan market/tech surge?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2018 9:33 am
Jan 21, 2017
988 posts
339 upvotes

who is taking profit after the Jan market/tech surge?

just curious what everyone did.

for me, i am pulling out 1/3 of my tech holdings.
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2015
5100 posts
4404 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I am so tempted. But I don't know what to put the money into. Today, I believe everything was red, Canada, US stocks, all my emerging ETF's, except AMaZiNg and Netflix, and IIRC Google too.

1st Feb is when they announce their results, so I am rolling the dice on this one and holding on to my tech. I stand to lose a lot since I am very exposed to US Tech, so may god help me! If the results are good, then I will sell it 7th Feb and diversify it. If the results are bad, I will hold on to them since they've eventually go up.
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1508 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
Are you into timing the market?
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
canoek wrote: I am so tempted. But I don't know what to put the money into. Today, I believe everything was red, Canada, US stocks, all my emerging ETF's, except AMaZiNg and Netflix, and IIRC Google too.

1st Feb is when they announce their results, so I am rolling the dice on this one and holding on to my tech. I stand to lose a lot since I am very exposed to US Tech, so may god help me! If the results are good, then I will sell it 7th Feb and diversify it. If the results are bad, I will hold on to them since they've eventually go up.
what tech stocks do you hold and what is your analysis on it? i have seen my etf went down slightly.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1731 posts
1779 upvotes
canoek wrote: I am so tempted. But I don't know what to put the money into. Today, I believe everything was red, Canada, US stocks, all my emerging ETF's, except AMaZiNg and Netflix, and IIRC Google too.

I'm in the exact same boat and feel the same way. Half of my portfolio is in US tech stocks, which have done incredibly well this last month. Earnings are coming up very soon and the even if they are already priced in, I strongly feel like there is still lots of potential room left for these stocks this year. So I'm holding it long term.
Market timing sounds like a gamble although some people seem to pull it off. Maybe down the road, when I'm more savvy and comfortable, I'd give it a shot.