[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1538 posts
141 upvotes
Mississauga

Who watches award shows?

I will make the first comment.

Not me. Not interested. Why? Don`t wish to watch a bunch of Actors and Actresses say how wonderful they are. Who said they are Divas?
30 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10103 posts
442 upvotes
Moncton, NB
Award shows are for pretentious entitled people to recognize the work of other pretentious entitled people.
KitKat item collector- always looking for swag or branded items.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6452 posts
2561 upvotes
Toronto
I guess I'm in the minority that enjoys watching the Oscars? For me the Oscars is when I finally hear about the movies I missed and typically end up enjoying much more than the box office junk that's advertised to death and overhyped by average movie goers all year.

Also I really enjoy the live music performances at all of them. The live orchestra at the recent VGAs was incredible and the highlight of the show to me
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3722 posts
3388 upvotes
Vancouver
ReeGee wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 1:27 pm
I guess I'm in the minority that enjoys watching the Oscars? For me the Oscars is when I finally hear about the movies I missed and typically end up enjoying much more than the box office junk that's advertised to death and overhyped by average movie goers all year.
I fully understand the value of that, but I'd much rather take two minutes to read the list of Oscar nominees and winners that will be all over the internet the next day. Awards shows make me gag. One awards show I actually enjoyed watching was the WWE (then WWF) Slammy Awards in 1987. All fake, all satire of real awards shows. Now that was entertaining.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3722 posts
3388 upvotes
Vancouver
newt_101 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 12:01 pm
The only thing good about last night's Globes

https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/ca ... -1.4243255
Did you mean the article text or the video? For some strange reason they aren't about the same thing.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6228 posts
1088 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Canadian 'Fiji Water Girl' photobombs stars at Golden Globes (you can see all the associated images by scrolling through the article)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6228 posts
1088 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Kiraly wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 2:19 pm
Did you mean the article text or the video? For some strange reason they aren't about the same thing.
Canadian 'Fiji Water Girl' photobombs stars at Golden Globes (you can see all the associated images by scrolling through the article)
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3457 posts
585 upvotes
Feneant wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 12:13 pm
Award shows are for pretentious entitled people to recognize the work of other pretentious entitled people.
That’s how I feel about the awards at work. Management nominates management and guess who wins, management! The people that do the work that makes management look good gets squat.
Are you a new parent and looking for freebies for your newborn, go here:
Freebies for your Newborn
Updated December 2018
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6452 posts
2561 upvotes
Toronto
boonjaca wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 2:29 pm
That’s how I feel about the awards at work. Management nominates management and guess who wins, management! The people that do the work that makes management look good gets squat.
That's not really how award shows work though. Typically it's contributors and artists of a particular medium recognizing the efforts of other often under appreciated artists. Take the Oscars for example, it's the only time of year where the people behind the scene who no one has heard of (makeup and VFX artists, costume and set designers, sound engineers, composers etc) are given a platform where their talents and efforts are recognized. These people are often humbled and grateful for the experience. I don't see anything "pretentious" about that.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
3386 posts
1090 upvotes
Global Village
People with nothing better to watch..
All day I dream about sports
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1762 posts
491 upvotes
I'm also guilty of watching awards shows. In fact, over the years I've attended a few Oscar parties in the same way people would have Super Bowl parties. I was 7 years old when I watched the Academy Awards for the first time and staying up past 11pm was a big deal. LOL

Last edited by Mr_Fanta on Jan 7th, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3457 posts
585 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 2:49 pm
That's not really how award shows work though. Typically it's contributors and artists of a particular medium recognizing the efforts of other often under appreciated artists. Take the Oscars for example, it's the only time of year where the people behind the scene who no one has heard of (makeup and VFX artists, costume and set designers, sound engineers, composers etc) are given a platform where their talents and efforts are recognized. These people are often humbled and grateful for the experience. I don't see anything "pretentious" about that.
I was making reference to the awards at work and not the Oscars. I am glad the people behind the scenes are recognized for their work.
Are you a new parent and looking for freebies for your newborn, go here:
Freebies for your Newborn
Updated December 2018