• Jul 14th, 2019 10:24 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2008
1062 posts
120 upvotes

Whole House Fan

Has anyone installed a whole house fan in their attic/ceiling to suck out the hot air especially from the upper floors of their home? Asking for Toronto summers... looking for info about cost and (ease of) installation?
26 replies
Feb 11, 2018
267 posts
370 upvotes
barricuda wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 7:05 pm
Has anyone installed a whole house fan in their attic/ceiling to suck out the hot air especially from the upper floors of their home? Asking for Toronto summers... looking for info about cost and (ease of) installation?
If I understand you correctly, you would like to have a fan installed in the ceiling of the second floor (or the attic) of your house so that in summer it could suck out the hot air inside your house. If that is correct, then you have a serious problem. In order to have air sucked out of your house you need to have air sucked in from the outside. And the air coming in would be hot/warm.

This could only work at night if outside temp is low and you wish to bring in cooler air inside. Though you better have some sort of air filtration where the air is allowed to enter the house otherwise your house will become dusty very quickly. I know because I experimented with a similar setup. Though in the end I gave up and instead let the a/c run all night when electricity is cheaper. Hope it helps.
Karma is the law of ethical causation; the effect of an act produced egotistically, when the great law of harmony depends of altruism.

Civilization has developed the physical and the intellectual at the expense of the psychic and spiritual.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4331 posts
1615 upvotes
I’m sure the CFM requirement for this type of “system” to make any sort of impact would also require a make up air system to replenish the exhausted air, and the only place to get this air would be from outside which would defeat the purpose of what you’re trying to achieve. Without the Make Up air this would cause backdrafting
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7195 posts
2449 upvotes
Markham
I'm guessing these were a "thing" back in the early 60's because I used to have one in my current house until I took it out.

It had metal louvres on it. Thing was 3 ft x 3 ft and it moved a ton a air when I turned it on. In the summer, I could open up a few windows and turn that thing on and I could feel the draft of air going up the attic. It probably did wonders for cooling the hot air in the attic.

If OP wants to put one in, I think you also need to incorporate a very well insulated cover to prevent air from going thru there when you don't want air going thru there.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11169 posts
10492 upvotes
Oakville
OP, you should probably first look at improving your attic insulation, seal air leaks, shade windows, and look into growing greenery outside to provide shade. Also next time your replace your shingles go for a light colour.
If you get too much heat up stairs, run your HVAC fan constantly to even out the temps on all floors and close registers where you don't want the cooling.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6410 posts
2853 upvotes
Paris
Whole house fans are a thing, even in cold climates. Have seen them on ask this old house. They are very very expensive.

My cousin had his old furnace taken out and I snagged the control board and fan before they scrapped it. We use it at the cottage so when the winter fire gets xx hot in the basement the fan turns on to push the hot air up a few floors. My other thought for it was to put in a draw system for when nights cooled and to draw in the colder air outside and push the hot out. I got the same effect at my place with a box fan in the front dining room, all other windows closed, and a window fan exhausting out our bedroom. Cools the place right down, but I’m only a raised bungalow.

I also run the furnace fan all night.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2008
1062 posts
120 upvotes
TomLafinsky wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 7:42 pm
If I understand you correctly, you would like to have a fan installed in the ceiling of the second floor (or the attic) of your house so that in summer it could suck out the hot air inside your house. If that is correct, then you have a serious problem. In order to have air sucked out of your house you need to have air sucked in from the outside. And the air coming in would be hot/warm.

This could only work at night if outside temp is low and you wish to bring in cooler air inside. Though you better have some sort of air filtration where the air is allowed to enter the house otherwise your house will become dusty very quickly. I know because I experimented with a similar setup. Though in the end I gave up and instead let the a/c run all night when electricity is cheaper. Hope it helps.
Thanks, yes. That was the idea.... turn it on in the evenings when the outside air is cooler and leave the windows open so that the hot/stale air in the upper part of the house is flushed out through the attic vents and replaced with the cooler air through the windows.

Good point about the dust..... lots of construction in the area, so I suppose that would be a problem for me.
Last edited by barricuda on Jul 12th, 2019 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2008
1062 posts
120 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 11:13 pm
OP, you should probably first look at improving your attic insulation, seal air leaks, shade windows, and look into growing greenery outside to provide shade. Also next time your replace your shingles go for a light colour.
If you get too much heat up stairs, run your HVAC fan constantly to even out the temps on all floors and close registers where you don't want the cooling.
For some reason my thermostat is wired in a way where I can't just run the fan. It turns on only with AC/heating (anyone else have this setup - I almost contemplated starting another thread for this question).... I wanted to experiment with closing/opening registers and cold air intake vents to somewhat simulate the effects of a whole house fan, but if I can run the fans only with the AC on then I don't have much to do except close registers in unused rooms like you said.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11169 posts
10492 upvotes
Oakville
barricuda wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 8:58 am
For some reason my thermostat is wired in a way where I can't just run the fan. It turns on only with AC/heating (anyone else have this setup - I almost contemplated starting another thread for this question).... I wanted to experiment with closing/opening registers and cold air intake vents to somewhat simulate the effects of a whole house fan, but if I can run the fans only with the AC on then I don't have much to do except close registers in unused rooms like you said.
Definitely look into wiring it so you can run with the fan on. Makes for more clean air as well since it will be filtered.
With buying a new tstat if you have to.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2008
1062 posts
120 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 9:24 am
Definitely look into wiring it so you can run with the fan on. Makes for more clean air as well since it will be filtered.
With buying a new tstat if you have to.
This is the video explaining thermostat I have -

At 0:12 and 2:44 it explains that the G wire (for the fan) will go into C terminal (for continuous power to the tstat?) which will deny me the option of running the fan by itself but "thats ok" because the fan will run with the AC and heating system.

Does this mean I need an extra wire in here to go to the G terminal to get back the ability to run my fan without the AC or heat? Or like you said replace the thermostat ?

Edit: Looked up some videos on how an existing 5th wire might be an option.... I'll take a look at the setup in my HVAC unit to see it if this is easily available for me and take it from there.
Mar 31, 2013
161 posts
847 upvotes
Courtenay, BC
I have installed 3 whole house fans in 3 different houses, they work great if you know how to operate them, they are not a set and forget type of equipment. Two of the installs were in Medicine Hat, Alberta which can get damn hot in the summer.
Simply put, when it is cooler outside than in, open windows and turn the fan on.....it draws the cooler air thru the house and Forces it out thru the attic.....yes, it helps to cool off the living space (many times I would have to get up in the middle of the night and turn it off cause it got too cold), but to me the biggest advantage is it flushes all the hot air out of your attic, that is a huge heat sink, and if it never cools off your AC will run forever. In the "Hat", my neighbors house the AC would start at 10 am, mine wouldn't kick in till the late afternoon (exact same house)
A couple of crucial points, you must have enough venting in the attic, and never run it without open windows (it will create negative pressure, possibly blowing out gas appliance pilot lights).
Install is not that hard, but I am an electrician and have done plenty of carpentry work as well
See this website, my last two were the aircool classic model.....https://quietcoolsystems.com/whole-house-fan/ .....but I did have to get it shipped out of the US
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2008
1062 posts
120 upvotes
phantomfj wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 12:13 pm
... but to me the biggest advantage is it flushes all the hot air out of your attic, that is a huge heat sink, and if it never cools off your AC will run forever. ...
Install is not that hard, but I am an electrician and have done plenty of carpentry work as well
See this website, my last two were the aircool classic model.....https://quietcoolsystems.com/whole-house-fan/ .....but I did have to get it shipped out of the US
Yes, this is exactly why I am looking into this.... all that air that get baked in the attic and the hot air that rises up and gets hotter in the upper floor because of the attic..... this seems like a nice solution to flush that out. I think there are enough Toronto summer nights/evenings that are cool and don't remain muggy/hot like the day to make this work. Just trying to determine if there is a rig/setup that makes it (relatively) easy to install at a reasonable cost.
Feb 11, 2018
267 posts
370 upvotes
Before you go to all this trouble you could experiment with this simple idea if feasible.
Karma is the law of ethical causation; the effect of an act produced egotistically, when the great law of harmony depends of altruism.

Civilization has developed the physical and the intellectual at the expense of the psychic and spiritual.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2008
1062 posts
120 upvotes
TomLafinsky wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 2:19 pm
Before you go to all this trouble you could experiment with this simple idea if feasible.
Thanks - I was exactly hoping for simpler rigs like this that would fit in the attic access space etc (I am a first time and new homeowner, lol). I think I have a friend who has tools and garage space to build a sturdier frame than the one in the video. I was also looking for fans with higher CFMs - so not maybe not an actual whole house fan, but something a little more industrial than the one in the video but would still fit the same size/frame to be a little more effective. The frame and fan would need to be joined as a unit to easily move it out of that space in the winter etc.
Feb 11, 2018
267 posts
370 upvotes
barricuda wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 3:06 pm
Thanks - I was exactly hoping for simpler rigs like this that would fit in the attic access space (I am a first time and new homeowner, lol). I think I have a friend who has tools and garage space to build a sturdier frame than the one in the video. I was also looking for fans with higher CFMs - so not maybe not an actual whole house fan, but something a little more industrial than the one in the video but would still fit the same size/frame to be a little more effective. The frame and fan would need to be joined as a unit to easily move it out of that space in the winter etc.
Of course you need to remove this contraption in the fall. I would suggest you measure the whole opening and go HD to buy a 1" piece of wood large enough to cover the whole attic opening. You could use an air mover similar to this one and let it hang from the piece of wood.

The drawback of opening the attic is that you will get more noise from outside. The advantage of using an air mover is that only a small hole in the piece of wood will be needed and therefore minimizing noise from the outside. The whole thing will not be pretty but if the access to the attic is in a closet then you shouldn't mind too much. Moreover there should be a light in the ceiling of the closet and you can connect your air mover to that.