• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2019 6:15 am
[OP]
Sep 17, 2006
40 posts
1 upvote
Oakville

whole house humidifier

Anyone had any experience with getting a central humidifier from Reliance? I know they use a flow through humidifier but don't know the model.
If not Reliance, has anyone had a good experience with a company that they used? (in the Oakville area).
47 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11777 posts
11422 upvotes
Oakville
Don't buy a humidifier from Reliance, or rent any appliances (furnace, AC, water heater, etc) for that matter. It's all a rip off for you. You end up paying many times over for it. Buy a humidifier from a reno store for $100 and have a handyman install it if you can't do it your self.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1649 upvotes
Install one yourself. Don't get Reliance or any of those "rental appliances" to do it.

I'm a TOTAL n00b, and I installed a whole house flow-through Honeywell Humidifier myself. Cost about $150 from Princess Auto. Pads are $13. I'm surprised it was that easy. Well they also have youtube videos. Aprilaire is also a good brand I hear.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Nov 28, 2015
48 posts
11 upvotes
Brampton, ON
I've got a desert springs rotary humidifier, works great with my ecobee 3 and doesn't need pads.
Jul 5, 2004
23828 posts
3391 upvotes
I recently went to have a humidifier installed and an HVAC guy I know and trust talked me out of it. He says they almost always cause rust and corrosion in the duct work as well as shorten the life of the furnace. Plus he said people have a habit of not adjusting them and/or not understanding how temperature differences affects the humidity level, so when the temperature drops quickly, suddenly the humidity level in the house skyrockets and mold forms.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11777 posts
11422 upvotes
Oakville
Shaner wrote:
Dec 9th, 2017 10:39 am
I recently went to have a humidifier installed and an HVAC guy I know and trust talked me out of it. He says they almost always cause rust and corrosion in the duct work as well as shorten the life of the furnace. Plus he said people have a habit of not adjusting them and/or not understanding how temperature differences affects the humidity level, so when the temperature drops quickly, suddenly the humidity level in the house skyrockets and mold forms.
I agree that most people wouldn't set their humidifier up properly. I installed and setup mine properly and we're very happy with a comfy humidity level year round.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30497 posts
5037 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Wicked666 wrote:
Dec 9th, 2017 12:14 am
I've got a desert springs rotary humidifier, works great with my ecobee 3 and doesn't need pads.
I have the same one. How do you drain the excess water?
Dec 26, 2011
272 posts
52 upvotes
Ottawa
Aprilaire 600. Excellent humidifier.
Dec 19, 2015
593 posts
299 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Shaner wrote:
Perhaps I'm going to be schooled here but isn't that what a humidistat is for. You set it at the desired humidity and the humidifier then turns on and off based on the humidity of the home.
Apr 8, 2010
670 posts
314 upvotes
toronto
Andy34 wrote:
Dec 10th, 2017 11:41 pm
Perhaps I'm going to be schooled here but isn't that what a humidistat is for. You set it at the desired humidity and the humidifier then turns on and off based on the humidity of the home.
you're right there is but most do not adjust to outside air temperatures. they just set it and forget it like their chicken.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8210 posts
518 upvotes
Shaner wrote:
Agree. It is hard to set the central humidifier to the right humidity for the entire house. I installed it but gave up using it for years Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11777 posts
11422 upvotes
Oakville
rdx wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 8:53 am
Agree. It is hard to set the central humidifier to the right humidity for the entire house. I installed it but gave up using it for years Face With Tears Of Joy
Can't say I've ever had an issue. If adjusting the h-stat is too much trouble, just get a smart one to do it for you.
Jan 15, 2013
890 posts
156 upvotes
Mississauga
Shaner wrote:
I currently have 2 humidifiers I purchased over the weekend and I'm planning to return the other one that supposedly covers 2600sqft (more like 850) because I want an entire home humidifier.

... But rust and corrosion you said? I'm worried. The original owners of my home have an old Wait 6000 but when I took possession of the home they had it unplugged and it looks like it hasn't been used for a while.
Aug 29, 2001
389 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
all I’ve been doing is open air flow and set the humidistat to the percentage I want when I switch over to heater mode. In the spring I disable the air flow and dial off the humidistat , turn off heat mode and change the humidifer filter.

Is there anything else I should be doing differently to prevent mold and rust?
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11777 posts
11422 upvotes
Oakville
baseline wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 4:20 pm
all I’ve been doing is open air flow and set the humidistat to the percentage I want when I switch over to heater mode. In the spring I disable the air flow and dial off the humidistat , turn off heat mode and change the humidifer filter.

Is there anything else I should be doing differently to prevent mold and rust?
Nope. As long as you don't have stale water sitting around you should be fine. Just check it occasionally and clean filter/basin as necessary (usually in the spring).