• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2018 4:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
2660 posts
536 upvotes

Who's buying the new 2018 macbook pro?

I'm looking to dabble into osx to see what it's like due to privacy concerns with chrome and microsoft but am not sure if I'm getting the most bang for the buck with the 2018 versions. Should I go look at the older ones that stores will be clearing out now or should I look into a refurbished unit? Not sure if I'll be missing the latest and greatest of the mac world.

I'm currently using a surface pro 1 and a t480s.
52 replies
Mar 29, 2015
199 posts
67 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
What do you plan to do with it? If your new to macOS, it probably won't matter which one you get. I'd say go for a refurb unit since it's an easy way to shave a few hundred off. Unlike other companies, refurb units are pretty much new from apple with the same 1 year warranty that new ones get. These new ones won't be in the refurb section until close to end of year I'd say.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
2660 posts
536 upvotes
jechin1 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 10:23 pm
What do you plan to do with it? If your new to macOS, it probably won't matter which one you get. I'd say go for a refurb unit since it's an easy way to shave a few hundred off. Unlike other companies, refurb units are pretty much new from apple with the same 1 year warranty that new ones get. These new ones won't be in the refurb section until close to end of year I'd say.
If I get a refurbished one would I miss out on the latest and greatest? The 8000 series processors is supposedly heads and soldiers above the 7000 ones.
Mar 29, 2015
199 posts
67 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
vivibaby wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 11:57 pm
If I get a refurbished one would I miss out on the latest and greatest? The 8000 series processors is supposedly heads and soldiers above the 7000 ones.
I haven't seen any benchmarks other than apple's claim. In my OP I said refurbs for this new gen probably won't be out until end of year. if you can wait until then you can get one much cheaper and have the benefit of hearing any problems a few months from launch. If you need one right now, well that's up to you.

You still haven't said what you plan to do with it, the previous gen will most likely do fine as everyone who has one has been able to make do with it including myself.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15523 posts
2983 upvotes
Toronto
I don't think privacy is a good reason to switch. If you're concerned about browsing privacy, just use Tor browser or even Firefox or something.

And while the new models are indeed WAY faster than the old ones, it's probably overkill for most people. As already stated, you haven't mentioned what you are doing with it.

I personally just use a 2017 12" MacBook Core m3 and its performance is fine for what I need it for (which is business applications, surfing, email, and Netflix). I got it with 16 GB though, since on the road I may run most of those things at the same time.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
2660 posts
536 upvotes
jechin1 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 12:03 am
I haven't seen any benchmarks other than apple's claim. In my OP I said refurbs for this new gen probably won't be out until end of year. if you can wait until then you can get one much cheaper and have the benefit of hearing any problems a few months from launch. If you need one right now, well that's up to you.

You still haven't said what you plan to do with it, the previous gen will most likely do fine as everyone who has one has been able to make do with it including myself.
But benchmarks everywhere states the improvements in intel's processor. I plan on editing videos for youtube. Mostly cutting clips here and there. Maybe light gaming. If I wait a couple months down the line for a refurb, I'll also lose the apple student promos.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
2660 posts
536 upvotes
EugW wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 12:15 am
I don't think privacy is a good reason to switch. If you're concerned about browsing privacy, just use Tor browser or even Firefox or something.

And while the new models are indeed WAY faster than the old ones, it's probably overkill for most people. As already stated, you haven't mentioned what you are doing with it.

I personally just use a 2017 12" MacBook Core m3 and its performance is fine for what I need it for (which is business applications, surfing, email, and Netflix). I got it with 16 GB though, since on the road I may run most of those things at the same time.
But even microsoft datamines you and I don't want to go through the hassle of configuring the system only for it to be reversed after every update. And who knows of all the privacy invasive practices that they don't talk about.
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
10411 posts
1459 upvotes
1) heres what you need to know about MS's "data mining" ~ https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/5/15188 ... y-concerns

2) If you are concerned about chrome tracking you, then use firefox. So when you are on a mac, you are only going to use safari ?
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
2660 posts
536 upvotes
sexyj wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 2:39 am
1) heres what you need to know about MS's "data mining" ~ https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/5/15188 ... y-concerns

2) If you are concerned about chrome tracking you, then use firefox. So when you are on a mac, you are only going to use safari ?

That article is from 2017 and privacy pundits are still grilling microsoft about the data they collect. *
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15523 posts
2983 upvotes
Toronto
vivibaby wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 12:40 am
But even microsoft datamines you and I don't want to go through the hassle of configuring the system only for it to be reversed after every update. And who knows of all the privacy invasive practices that they don't talk about.
I guess I should point out that Apple is one of the biggest data miners in the world.

Apple’s settings are arguably easier but Apple doesn’t publicly advertise what goes into its mining technology either. And you need to reconfirm the privacy settings after many macOS point updates.

Look, I prefer to use Macs but I will reiterate that privacy isn’t a great reason to switch from Windows to macOS.
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
10411 posts
1459 upvotes
Until you can find an article that says MS collects differently in 2018 that superseded that article. What is said in that article still stands.

vivibaby wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 2:53 am
That article is from 2017 and privacy pundits are still grilling microsoft about the data they collect. *
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping
Sep 30, 2001
27077 posts
6004 upvotes
Toronto
ok everyone calm down and stop with the insults.
vivibaby wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 8:12 pm
not sure if I'm getting the most bang for the buck with the 2018 versions. Should I go look at the older ones that stores will be clearing out now or should I look into a refurbished unit? Not sure if I'll be missing the latest and greatest of the mac world.
op just get the best refurb unit you can afford and call it a day. if you can, wait till august and pick up something from the back to school sales.

editing youtube clips doesn't require the latest and greatest CPU.
Don't talk about it, be about it
Nov 14, 2001
770 posts
55 upvotes
Mississauga
Friend of mine just ordered top of the line. He is selling his 2017 top of the line for 5K.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15523 posts
2983 upvotes
Toronto
MrDisco wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 1:36 pm
op just get the best refurb unit you can afford and call it a day. if you can, wait till august and pick up something from the back to school sales.
Apple Back To School sale started yesterday.
editing youtube clips doesn't require the latest and greatest CPU.
Agreed. You could probably do that on a 12" MacBook.

doonboy wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 2:14 pm
Friend of mine just ordered top of the line. He is selling his 2017 top of the line for 5K.
Good luck to him. IMO anyone would be crazy spending $5000 on that.

Apple sells this 2017 model for just over $4539 (plus tax):

Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 3.1GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 with Retina display - Silver
Originally released June 2017
Touch Bar with integrated Touch ID sensor
15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display; 2880x1800 native resolution at 220 pixels per inch
16GB of 2133MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
2TB PCIe-based onboard SSD
720p FaceTime HD Camera
Radeon Pro 560 with 4GB of GDDR5 memory

That's the 3.1 GHz Core i7-7920HQ quad-core, with turbo boost up to 4.1 GHz.

However, I think it would be foolish to buy even that. Better would be to buy a 2018 model for $4511 on the edu store:

2.2GHz 6-core 8th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz
Retina display with True Tone
Touch Bar and Touch ID
Radeon Pro 555X with 4GB of GDDR5 memory
16GB 2400MHz DDR4 memory
2TB SSD storage
Four Thunderbolt 3 ports
Backlit Keyboard - US English
Hardware
Processor

That's the 2.2 GHz Core i7-8750H hex-core, with turbo boost up to 4.1 GHz. Even though it is an entry level 15" this year, it's actually faster than last year's top of the line in multithreaded applications.

https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_c ... 7920hq-692
Last edited by EugW on Jul 13th, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 30, 2001
27077 posts
6004 upvotes
Toronto
EugW wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 2:52 pm
Apple Back To School sale started yesterday.
agreed. i was thinking more best buy and staples as they always have a mac book on sale for a $100 or so off. the op should compare those sales against refurbs and pick the best unit they can afford imo.
Don't talk about it, be about it