Cell Phones

who's getting a galaxy note II?

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2013 4:45 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: will you get a note 2?

• Total votes: 455. You have voted on this poll.
white

30%
grey

34%
i am getting iphone5

12%
not getting it!

24%
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2006
1359 posts
29 upvotes
Vancouver
whiteGSR wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 9:21 pm
i just got my note 2 as well but made the mistake of installing a matte screen protector. It definitely causes some minor distortion on a screen that is already less sharp than a non-AMOLED screen. I installed a matte SP because I remembered that I was not able to use my SGS at all in direct sunlight, so I thougth the matte would help.

But having said all that, the size of the screeen and the battery life more than compesates whatever the cons are for this phone
Not much cons besides the size of carrying it I think... For me it takes up a lot of space in my pocket. But for work I can always place it in a pouch.

The weight doesn't seem that bad either. If felt s little lighter or the same weight as the Iphone.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2008
4704 posts
161 upvotes
harryt wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 9:34 pm
The weight doesn't seem that bad either. If felt s little lighter or the same weight as the Iphone.
185g vs 112g - time to recalibrate your perception.
Sep 23, 2005
321 posts
21 upvotes
Calgary
I love how when you tap a link with your finger and its close to another link (IE- picking a page number on these threads) it pops up a magnified rectangular box that allows you to pick which link you want to go to for sure.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2008
4704 posts
161 upvotes
harryt wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 6:08 pm
I have IPhone 1.. LOL and that thing is huge :p
The original iPhone weighs 135g.
Jun 1, 2005
546 posts
55 upvotes
harryt wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 9:34 pm
Not much cons besides the size of carrying it I think... For me it takes up a lot of space in my pocket. But for work I can always place it in a pouch.

the cons list, if i had to make one would be:

1) Touchwiz
2) Screen colour and clarity is not as good/sharp as my Motorola Atrix HD LTE (4.6" 720P)
3) No dedicated HDMI port
4) Need to remove battery cover to reach SD/SIM cards
5) Cheap, plastic feel

I know that these cons are relatively minor (and some correctable by flashing another ROM) which is why I said the screen size and battery life more than makes up for any "con"

As a point of reference, I have owned a Samsung Galaxy S i9000m for 2 years and have flashed numerous 3rd party ROMs (from Eclair to Froyo to ICS and JB) and tweaks over that time period. I then bought the aHD, and that phone is fantastic and their MotorblurHD is actually really close to vanilla android. The only problem was that the on-screen buttons took up valuable real estate so you weren't really getting that big of a screen. That and battery life was horrible and not user-removable. 2 things that is fixed quite nicely by the Note 2 :)
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2003
4674 posts
175 upvotes
time space wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 7:03 am
First leaked pic of the Note 3...

I want it. Need a bumper case for it tho'. Also, I wonder how much replacement batteries would cost?

....... pRon would be awesome!
He .... looka lika MAN!

I tell you every ting!

----------------------------------------------------

If you haven't figured it out yet ... i'm not a female. Have you ever watched MADtv?
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2003
4674 posts
175 upvotes
whiteGSR wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 9:46 pm
the cons list, if i had to make one would be:

1) Touchwiz
2) Screen colour and clarity is not as good/sharp as my Motorola Atrix HD LTE (4.6" 720P)
3) No dedicated HDMI port
4) Need to remove battery cover to reach SD/SIM cards
5) Cheap, plastic feel

I know that these cons are relatively minor (and some correctable by flashing another ROM) which is why I said the screen size and battery life more than makes up for any "con"

As a point of reference, I have owned a Samsung Galaxy S i9000m for 2 years and have flashed numerous 3rd party ROMs (from Eclair to Froyo to ICS and JB) and tweaks over that time period. I then bought the aHD, and that phone is fantastic and their MotorblurHD is actually really close to vanilla android. The only problem was that the on-screen buttons took up valuable real estate so you weren't really getting that big of a screen. That and battery life was horrible and not user-removable. 2 things that is fixed quite nicely by the Note 2 :)
- Personally, I think Touchwiz has gotten too much hate. It's not thaaat bad.
- screen looks good to me.
- are there other phones that have dedicated HDMI ports? Looks like only a select few lines have them.
- well, nothing new here.
- feels fine to me. Yeah, I like the whole brushed aluminum thing too ... but that costs a bit more I imagine. Imagine a Gnote2 swathed in aluminum ... that's gotta cost alot.
He .... looka lika MAN!

I tell you every ting!

----------------------------------------------------

If you haven't figured it out yet ... i'm not a female. Have you ever watched MADtv?
Jun 1, 2005
546 posts
55 upvotes
miss_swan wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 10:34 pm
- Personally, I think Touchwiz has gotten too much hate. It's not thaaat bad.
- screen looks good to me.
- are there other phones that have dedicated HDMI ports? Looks like only a select few lines have them.
- well, nothing new here.
- feels fine to me. Yeah, I like the whole brushed aluminum thing too ... but that costs a bit more I imagine. Imagine a Gnote2 swathed in aluminum ... that's gotta cost alot.
Aluminum isn't neccessary to feel better in your hand. Maybe because it's shiny and slippery, it really takes away from the feel. Regarding the screen, have you actually physically compared the Note2's screen next to other phones side by side? Like HTC OneX or Razr HD? If so, then you will see it's actually not that great, both in IQ and text clarity. Also those other things I mentioned are exactly what I have in my moto phone. Unfortunately no one really buys moto phones anymore and they have a locked bootloader, that's why they are really underrated and receive virtually no development support.

Now don't get me wrong, I really like my Note2, my overall favourite. But I just wish it had the other things to truly make it the "perfect" phone.

And regarding TouchWiz, well, if you ever had to install another launcher, then it means that TW wasn't good enough
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2010
2635 posts
161 upvotes
Touchwiz's biggest issue is it has to deal with AMOLED screens. Those dark tron looking launchers look nicer on AMOLEDs. Samsung could switch to LCD and touchwiz would rather look better.

After using launchers and now even AOSP ROMs, i still vote for touchwizz as the best skin, tied with Sense 4.0.

Haters (purists) gonna hate.
Owner of hunks of metal, silicon, glass, plastic with 1s and 0s and some electrons powering them.
Jun 1, 2005
546 posts
55 upvotes
my last comment because i don't want to sound too negative about a great phone...

it has nothing to do with being a hater or a purist, so no need to get defensive. It just doesn't look like Samsung has made any effort to make TW actually look good. It still looks the same from when I had 2.1, and that's not a positive thing. You may disagree and that's fine, but for all those people who are installing different themes and/or icon packs, well, that just means they don't care too much for the appearance either :)

SMS with the ugly blue and yellow'sh bubbles...yuck
Deal Addict
May 27, 2008
1152 posts
137 upvotes
Thornhill
Elisa.woods wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 7:00 am
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... 2f6ae8en02

$50 on a 3 year contract from Bell.

Good deal?
Actually it is pretty critical (and good deal breaker) to me.

I returned my Nokia Lumia 920 and got the Notes 2 on Dec 8th; As I did an early handset upgrade, I also have to pay $143 (but got 50% of that waived down to 73). My grand total at the Rogers store was 393 (after the $50 rebate)
Today, I was on both Best Buy and Futureshop's website and when I saw they were selling it for $50, I was kinda furious as I just got it on the 8th for 249.99 with $50 dollar mail in rebate.

So I decided to call Rogers and they were willing to price adjust it.
As of today, they told me the phone price today is now at 149.99 (With $50 rebate - making it 99.99). They can't do the 49.99 as that is for new customer only

With everything taking into consideration, I got the phone for $165 (including the early handset upgrade + rebate).

393 VS 165, that is a huge price difference.
Mar 24, 2007
430 posts
11 upvotes
loopholez wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 9:42 pm
Actually it is pretty critical (and good deal breaker) to me.

I returned my Nokia Lumia 920 and got the Notes 2 on Dec 8th; As I did an early handset upgrade, I also have to pay $143 (but got 50% of that waived down to 73). My grand total at the Rogers store was 393 (after the $50 rebate)
Today, I was on both Best Buy and Futureshop's website and when I saw they were selling it for $50, I was kinda furious as I just got it on the 8th for 249.99 with $50 dollar mail in rebate.

So I decided to call Rogers and they were willing to price adjust it.
As of today, they told me the phone price today is now at 149.99 (With $50 rebate - making it 99.99). They can't do the 49.99 as that is for new customer only

With everything taking into consideration, I got the phone for $165 (including the early handset upgrade + rebate).

393 VS 165, that is a huge price difference.
I am with Rogers too and they can't even match the price. They just told me to go to a Futureshop and get the phone from them. WTF.
Deal Addict
May 27, 2008
1152 posts
137 upvotes
Thornhill
Elisa.woods wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 11:33 pm
I am with Rogers too and they can't even match the price. They just told me to go to a Futureshop and get the phone from them. WTF.
Try calling another agent, my experience is each of them deals with customer differently.

Did you get the phone recently like me? Because the Notes 2 dropped its price as 99.99 on their website as well.
I would think matching it to 99.99 is not a problem at all. The only thing that I am uncertain is on the website, they didn't even say there is a 50 dollar rebate, does that mean a brand new customer only pay $50 + tax and that FS/BB will absorb that rebate cost straight out?
× < >