• Mar 20th, 2017 11:31 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
13968 posts
945 upvotes

Who's running ultra wide curved 34"?

That dell monitor is mighty tempting.

I was using one of the first 24" 1200p monitors when they came out from Dell when most people were still using 19" it was a massive jump at the time. Then I upgraded to the Dell 3008wfps and that thing was a beast. for the last few weeks I was using a 40" 4k but honest it's a bit too big for my liking. Im thinking rhe 34" curved would be about the same as a 30" flat.

Any thoughts?
16 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
17284 posts
4166 upvotes
I'm a fan of more vs bigger.
34" to me is just ridiculous.

EDIT: Unless it's a TV in which case bigger.
Hence why I have a 120" projector in the living room and a 104" in the bedroom.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
17576 posts
2852 upvotes
Thornhill
I have a Dell U3415w, its great.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
13968 posts
945 upvotes
coriolis wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 7:29 am
I have a Dell U3415w, its great.
Do you find the curvature helps with less tracking? On my 40" 4K, I have to constantly track or I simply don't use the sides at all which defeats the purpose.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
17576 posts
2852 upvotes
Thornhill
Supercooled wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 8:11 am
Do you find the curvature helps with less tracking? On my 40" 4K, I have to constantly track or I simply don't use the sides at all which defeats the purpose.
Not really, I had a 32" 4k and the resolution was fantastic but I had to physically move my head to find the cursor at times. The 34 ultrawide feels like two monitors which is easier. It's much less pixels then 4k of course.
Dec 28, 2006
99 posts
23 upvotes
North York
I also have the Dell U3415W and it's been a joy to use. I was running dual 24" TN panels and the difference in picture quality, brightness/contrast and viewing angles is night and day.
Gaming on the display has been a great experience too, even on my outdated 7950 I'm still running rise of the tomb raider on medium settings and it looks fantastic...
The main benefit for me is being able to have 2 separate browser windows open on the same screen, as I typically have 20-30 tabs open in chrome/firefox.
I would have bought the equivalent acer/asus gaming ultrawide models but I bought the Dell for a lot cheaper than what the others were selling for at the time.
I don't regret the $750-800 I spent on this monitor..But now I'm looking at buying a 1080ti/Vega in order to attain 60+ fps at this resolution, which will probably cost me about the same, if not more than
the monitor....
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz | ASRock Z68 Extreme3 | Mushkin Redline 2133 2 x 4GB | Powercolor HD7950 3GB | Crucial MX100 256 GB | Seasonic x760 80+ Gold | Corsair Obsidian 650D | Dell U3415W
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
1299 posts
544 upvotes
+1. Love, love, love my Dell U3415W. Looks awesome for everything from browsing, Netflix, Overwatch and even Zelda (BoTW upscales to 1440p 21:9 surprisingly well).
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
1299 posts
544 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 4:09 am

34" ultrawide is not ridiculous at all. Because of the 21:9 aspect ratio, its actually the same height as a 27" monitor.... just wider.

I'd even go as far as to recommend 34 ultrawide as the current ideal workstation monitor size... not so big that you actually have to move your head to see the whole screen, but just large enough for maximum productivity (I can comfortably view at least 4 windows at a time).
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
17284 posts
4166 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 5:07 pm
34" ultrawide is not ridiculous at all. Because of the 21:9 aspect ratio, its actually the same height as a 27" monitor.... just wider.
I guess it depends on what you're doing with your monitor(s)
If you're gaming then I'd probably agree with you.

But if it's work related, I'd rather have a bunch of 23" instead of one ultra wide 27"
Separation makes working on 2 different things easier for full screen purposes.
In fact, my primary workstation currently has 3 monitors with 1 for another machine.
My future workstation (if I ever get the damn thing set up) will have 12 total spread over a few machines with my primary having 7.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
1299 posts
544 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 6:13 pm
I guess it depends on what you're doing with your monitor(s)
If you're gaming then I'd probably agree with you.

But if it's work related, I'd rather have a bunch of 23" instead of one ultra wide 27"
Separation makes working on 2 different things easier for full screen purposes.
In fact, my primary workstation currently has 3 monitors with 1 for another machine.
My future workstation (if I ever get the damn thing set up) will have 12 total spread over a few machines with my primary having 7.
Oh well yeah, I guess it's down to personal preference. If you like to have multiple windows in full screen mode then yes, multi-monitor setup is best.

I've found that my 32uw is perfect though... You can actually use DELL Display Monitor to divide your screen into X sections so that you can do just that.

I've found that my 32 is easier on the eyes when looking at 2 windows side-by-side vs. dual monitors.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
13968 posts
945 upvotes
It's funny when you think about the target audience these ultra wides are catering to are exactly the people who want multi-monitor setups like death_hawk. Before they were available people were finding ways to make the two as borderless as possible with the thinness of bezels but here we have the manufacturer serving us the best solution but we still want to stay in the old setup.

I think cost wise it's not bad. I use my 4k 40" exactly in that manner and it helps with transitioning between apps like a wide format can do.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1275 posts
209 upvotes
Windsor
I'd love it, if it was natively split into 3 screens (so, behaved like 3 separate monitors, essentially), and thus wider; I use 3 screens now (plus a few more for watching VMs, etc), and though I could replace two with an ultrawide, I'd probably not bother until I could do 3.

A friend has one though, I think it's the Dell that everyone else seems to have, and it looks very nice.
Nov 13, 2011
304 posts
81 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I got a 3415w a year ago and it's been great! I can use windows key arrows to do "dual screen" if needed.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
17284 posts
4166 upvotes
Supercooled wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 9:25 pm
It's funny when you think about the target audience these ultra wides are catering to are exactly the people who want multi-monitor setups like death_hawk.
What? I would never buy one of these.
For one, they (seem to be with some quick looking) over a grand.
For that kind of money I'd rather have four smaller regular monitors.

I don't get the ultra wide resolution anyway. The highest I'd go is MAYBE a 30" in a regular resolution and not ultra wide.
Even that's a stretch.

The only way I'd take the ultra wide is if I turned it portrait mode so I'd get one ridiculously long monitor.
Before they were available people were finding ways to make the two as borderless as possible with the thinness of bezels but here we have the manufacturer serving us the best solution but we still want to stay in the old setup.

Some may care about bezels but the only way I care about them is evenness.
If it's a uniform bezel all around, that's all I care about. Thickness (within reason, eg something built within the last 5 years) isn't an issue.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
7652 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 4:09 am

I'm using a flat 34" ultra wide and would never want to go back to normal 16:9. It's actually quite awesome once you get used to it and is awesome for gaming especially the games that have been made with 21:9 support.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel