• Jul 4th, 2006 12:58 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2004
1973 posts
12 upvotes

Why are airplanes flying so low in Toronto

Over the past week or so I've noticed that airplanes have been flying much lower than usual in Toronto. They were never this low before. Has anyone else noticed this? The sound made by them has gone up a lot, obviously due to them flying lower.
Share:
27 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
3613 posts
49 upvotes
Were in toronto have you seen this? I noticed they where using the most northerly runway a lot on Thursday I think, a little unusual...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2004
1973 posts
12 upvotes
I'm in the Keele and Lawrence west area.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2005
2084 posts
46 upvotes
Seems alright to me....then again maybe I'm just used to it....since the company I work at is directly along the flight path and the runaway is across from us on Airport Rd.
If anybody wants to take same time to look at the planes as they land that would be the perfect spot....there is a Wendy's store and donut shop....so you can enjoy a meal as the plane flys right above you...really close... :lol: ...trust me its the perfect view.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20229 posts
1496 upvotes
There's been no change. The may just be flying closer to your house in order to approach a different runway as already stated. They have always flown super low when waiting for permission to land. Low and slow enough that they have to pull up to prevent a stall.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2003
2083 posts
15 upvotes
Ben31 wrote:Seems alright to me....then again maybe I'm just used to it....since the company I work at is directly along the flight path and the runaway is across from us on Airport Rd.
If anybody wants to take same time to look at the planes as they land that would be the perfect spot....there is a Wendy's store and donut shop....so you can enjoy a meal as the plane flys right above you...really close... :lol: ...trust me its the perfect view.

Man thats the best area for YYZ Spotting aka taking pictures of airliners landing at Pearson. BTW do you happen to know the flight patterns for that area? I mean sometimes when I go the planes land perfectly over that area and other times the planes land from the opposite side on off of Dixie road. On days where the planes don't land over Wendys I go to Carlingview and go Arizona Bar & Grill parking lot where planes go over that area as well.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
1961 posts
135 upvotes
batman321123 wrote:I'm in the Keele and Lawrence west area.
Those could be the ones I see around Yorkdale that land at Downsview. They fly so freaking low they look like they're going to crash. Are they relatively small commuter looking planes?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2004
1973 posts
12 upvotes
girlstar wrote:Those could be the ones I see around Yorkdale that land at Downsview. They fly so freaking low they look like they're going to crash. Are they relatively small commuter looking planes?
No these look like commercial flights leaving YYZ. They were eastbound.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2004
3295 posts
16 upvotes
where exactly is the wendies? i might wanna check it out one day
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2005
1359 posts
10 upvotes
dell wrote:Man thats the best area for YYZ Spotting aka taking pictures of airliners landing at Pearson. BTW do you happen to know the flight patterns for that area? I mean sometimes when I go the planes land perfectly over that area and other times the planes land from the opposite side on off of Dixie road. On days where the planes don't land over Wendys I go to Carlingview and go Arizona Bar & Grill parking lot where planes go over that area as well.
There's only this. Wind. And you can tell if they are landing at wendies by the landing lights.. (they'll be either on or off).

Usually if the wind is heading east, then they will land at the wendies strip. P.S. The wendies strip is probably the secondary runway, as there is a runway that longer just south of that one.
Hope that helps.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7758 posts
151 upvotes
yyz has prevaling winds from the west. in the afternoon and evenings you can see the planes lined up for landing
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2006
1099 posts
2 upvotes
Alliston
anyone know of a place were you can park and have a good close view of the planes taking off and landing???? years agao there used to be a parking lot right on airport road across from wendy's were you could park and watch.....not anymore though!
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2005
1051 posts
16 upvotes
Interesting. This should be cool to do when bored... Anyone know the exact address/intersection of the wendys? I don't live near yyz so I wouldn't know the area that well.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2003
1879 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
RBK wrote:Interesting. This should be cool to do when bored... Anyone know the exact address/intersection of the wendys? I don't live near yyz so I wouldn't know the area that well.
It's on Airport Rd. just a little south of Derry Rd. On a sunny day, there's almost always a few people watching the planes landing.
× < >