Students

Why are all Ryerson staff I’ve interacted with so rude?

[OP]
Dec 4, 2009
27 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, Ontario

Why are all Ryerson staff I’ve interacted with so rude?

I went to undergrad at U of T and am looking into doing a certificate at ryerson. Due to this, I’ve had to call and speak to Ryerson registrar and servicehub office for financial aid etc. Strange thing I noticed was that there seems to be a lot of rude older/middle aged women who have no patience as a staff? It’s so unprofessional. Is this something you’ve noticed as well or did I get unlucky 5 times? Today I spoke to a woman on the phone who was acting as a messenger between me and the osap officer (not sure why they don’t just let me speak to the osap officer like U of T) and she kept telling me I was wrong and she was right, asking me if I spoke to them before face to face for the info (which I had) - until she checked with the advisor again and realized she was wrong. I don’t know why they seem so unhappy- having reservations about studying there. :/
Thanks
10 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
1967 posts
820 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I've encountered the same thing at York. These jobs are unfortunately not very fulfilling and most of the time they are dealing with entitled kids who don't show respect.

Whenever I call for some information, i have to pull teeth and then call repeatedly to get someone who cares even a little bit.

I wouldnt take it personally and just try to remember the daily crap they deal with. I just wish they would realize when someone talks to them nicely and with respect, that they adjust their atitude accordingly.
:D
Nov 22, 2018
12 posts
6 upvotes
The workers at UofT are probably better compensated and thus more mellow.

I did my undergrad at UofT as well and always encountered extremely helpful and understanding staff.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1189 posts
152 upvotes
Markham, ON
A long time ago, I submit my osap application, I was approved. School started, I go to the booth that every go to to process the paperwork. I never called nobody. Everything was crystal clear. Once I was done with school, I paid back everything I borrowed. Interested started accumulating after the grace period. As I was not employed in a high paying job, I paid as much as possible to reduce my debt. I paid my student loan off pretty quickly because I was focused on being debt free.

I am not someone who could comprehend about accumulating wealth while operating in a negative budget.
May 19, 2015
644 posts
222 upvotes
Poppwl wrote:
Dec 7th, 2018 11:57 pm
A long time ago, I submit my osap application, I was approved. School started, I go to the booth that every go to to process the paperwork. I never called nobody. Everything was crystal clear. Once I was done with school, I paid back everything I borrowed. Interested started accumulating after the grace period. As I was not employed in a high paying job, I paid as much as possible to reduce my debt. I paid my student loan off pretty quickly because I was focused on being debt free.

I am not someone who could comprehend about accumulating wealth while operating in a negative budget.
This has nothing to do with what the OP said?

But also Ryerson staff can sometimes be very entitled and unknowledgeable. They have some of the stupidest policies and timelines. BUT there are also those who are extremely helpful and wonderful. I think it really does depend on what certificate you're trying to study for and what area. Just FYI Ryerson is there to squeeze as much money out of you as possible (I mean so is every other university so whats new). Be aware of transfer credits and fighting for them if you have to. Don't give them more money than you need to
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone

Thumbs up if this post helped you 👍🏻☺️
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5474 posts
1214 upvotes
Whitby
Poppwl wrote:
Dec 7th, 2018 11:57 pm

Hope you weren't an English major!
May 19, 2015
644 posts
222 upvotes
Zamboni wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 10:18 pm
I legit smirk chuckled. Applause for you good sir/madam!

Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1189 posts
152 upvotes
Markham, ON
Zamboni wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 10:18 pm
I think my phone auto correct is programmed to incorrectly correct. Sometimes, I am thinking I typed one word and the device automatically changed it to something completely different.

Thank you for being rude though and I was not an English major.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1189 posts
152 upvotes
Markham, ON
SignedA wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 10:51 pm
I legit smirk chuckled. Applause for you good sir/madam!
And thank you for egging a rude person on.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1189 posts
152 upvotes
Markham, ON
I just reread OP`s post. Have you actually applied and got accepted by Ryerson yet? If not, I have no idea why you are asking any of their staff about OSAP or financial aid support.
May 19, 2015
644 posts
222 upvotes
Poppwl wrote:
Dec 11th, 2018 7:39 pm

And thank you for egging a rude person on.
And thank you for replying to the OP with an irrelevant story that doesn’t relate to OPs situation.

Anyways OP, did you get answers from Ryerson eventually?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)