Off Topic

Why am I getting so many calls today that are nothing in the end?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 31st, 2020 9:32 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10300 posts
1554 upvotes
Toronto

Why am I getting so many calls today that are nothing in the end?

From 10AM this morning I've been getting calls about every 40-45 minutes from random numbers that keep hanging up after the google call screen thing finishes. After the second one I just reject the call and they all have left a voicemail of no sound/muted for about 5 seconds each.

Anyone experienced this today or recently? It's very annoying.

Edit: just had another one. It makes no sense at all.
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9417 posts
1962 upvotes
Somewhere
its the govermint spying on u

also, it's a thing where telemarketers check if someone actually uses the phone line. if u pick up, u'll be added to a list of active cell lines for people to call.
:confused:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10300 posts
1554 upvotes
Toronto
iEyeCaptain wrote: its the govermint spying on u

also, it's a thing where telemarketers check if someone actually uses the phone line. if u pick up, u'll be added to a list of active cell lines for people to call.
Gov't spying I will assume is a joke and I thought about your second point as I know about that... But that many different numbers in such a short span?

As I was typing this I just got another one but it didn't even ring, just left a voicemail with nothing once again
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
12606 posts
3179 upvotes
Montréal
These ppl should be strung up and whipped. So annoying, and yes, the 2nd guess is probable.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8061 posts
1003 upvotes
Vancouver
My work cell was having this problem too but it eventually stopped. Still get the odd call but I was getting upwards of 15 a day
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15194 posts
4827 upvotes
Here 'n There
XtremeModder wrote: From 10AM this morning I've been getting calls about every 40-45 minutes from random numbers that keep hanging up after the google call screen thing finishes. After the second one I just reject the call and they all have left a voicemail of no sound/muted for about 5 seconds each.

If you have an iPhone updated to iOS 13: Settings | Phone | Silence Unknown Callers

That will silence calls from those not on your contact list or recent outgoing calls and send them to vm. You'll still get an indication of the call even if they don't leave a vm.

Anyone important who needs to reach you leave a vm or send you a text. If they don't, well, it ain't important so chill and move on with your life. I changed this last week and OMG, it's wonderful! My scam/telemarketing/polling/useless phone interruptions have reduced to zero.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10300 posts
1554 upvotes
Toronto
eonibm wrote: If you have an iPhone updated to iOS 13: Settings | Phone | Silence Unknown Callers

That will silence calls from those not on your contact list or recent outgoing calls and send them to vm. You'll still get an indication of the call even if they don't leave a vm.

Anyone important who needs to reach you leave a vm or send you a text. If they don't, well, it ain't important so chill and move on with your life. I changed this last week and OMG, it's wonderful! My scam/telemarketing/polling/useless phone interruptions have reduced to zero.
I'm on a pixel 3 xl and I won't do that but I've blocked people calling from a phone that shows as unknown caller.

I use this phone for personal and business. If I start getting more business then I'll get a second phone.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14795 posts
4062 upvotes
London
XtremeModder wrote: From 10AM this morning I've been getting calls about every 40-45 minutes from random numbers that keep hanging up after the google call screen thing finishes. After the second one I just reject the call and they all have left a voicemail of no sound/muted for about 5 seconds each.

Usually, it’s a telemarketer with a badly configured auto dialing system.

The system dials numbers continually from its list. When the system thinks someone has answered, then system passes the call to the next available human telemarketer which happens within 5-10 seconds (that weird pause when you answer “hello” and someone then starts talking).

The system doesn’t have someone available, it drops the call and the re queues your number to be called again a little later
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2002
2008 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
Ain't Google Call Screening awesome? :D

Same here whenever I used Google Call Screening, it either hangs up during or after. I don't think Google is capable of transcribe those typical scammer accents anyways.(no offence to non scammers).

Or maybe Google is saying something other than what we receivers hear ;)

I do hope that in future, we'll be able to use edit what is being said, that would be extremely awesome.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2009
1948 posts
731 upvotes
Montreal
if you listen closely, you can hear someone's breathing on the other line.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
4767 posts
1558 upvotes
Debtario
xxgg wrote: Ain't Google Call Screening awesome? :D

Same here whenever I used Google Call Screening, it either hangs up during or after. I don't think Google is capable of transcribe those typical scammer accents anyways.(no offence to non scammers).

Or maybe Google is saying something other than what we receivers hear ;)

I do hope that in future, we'll be able to use edit what is being said, that would be extremely awesome.
Al auto attendant would be awesome. Deepfaked voice so scammers think they are conversing with a live human
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"