Site Comments & Suggestions

Locked: Why was the Brampton flooring thread removed?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2012 9:38 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 5, 2004
23504 posts
3054 upvotes

Why was the Brampton flooring thread removed?

Why was that thread deleted? It was an informative thread about a company allegedly scamming an RFD member. Why delete it?
Did Brampton flooring complain directly to someone high up in YellowPages?

It makes no sense to delete a thread warning other RFD'ers about shady business practices. Unless there's something we don't know, such as it was proven the OP was lying or something along those lines. If that's the case, it would be good to know that too.
Share:
40 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
2906 posts
75 upvotes
East York
Good question - I would like to know as well..

The only logical explanation I can think of is someone from Brampton flooring contacted RFD and threatened to sue them for defamation.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
24780 posts
2790 upvotes
Hamilton
My guess is Oranr didn't want any trouble from any lawyers
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4276 posts
1146 upvotes
Toronto
Shaner wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 12:33 pm
Did Brampton flooring complain directly to someone high up in YellowPages?
That's the only reason I can think of. If that's the case, RFD doesn't really have a choice since they can't prove that the complaints were true, so they're in no position to take responsibility for them. Really though the customer complaints are irrelevant now, it's just as damning if we know that this is the kind of behaviour taken by certain companies to get their way.
[OP]
Jul 5, 2004
23504 posts
3054 upvotes
Manatus wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 12:58 pm
That's the only reason I can think of. If that's the case, RFD doesn't really have a choice since they can't prove that the complaints were true, so they're in no position to take responsibility for them. Really though the customer complaints are irrelevant now, it's just as damning if we know that this is the kind of behaviour taken by certain companies to get their way.
Yeah, I definitely see that side of it. The other side though is all complaints about a business have the ability to be censored then. At what point are we no longer even allowed to complain about businesses on this site? Where is the line drawn? Will RFD automatically remove any thread they receive legal threads about or will it be on a case by case basis?
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17804 posts
869 upvotes
That's pretty low, I wasn't aware of this.. Any mod response on this one?
[OP]
Jul 5, 2004
23504 posts
3054 upvotes
duckdown wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 1:32 pm
That's pretty low, I wasn't aware of this.. Any mod response on this one?
I'm sure the admins have no desire to protect Brampton Flooring, so it seems very likely they received some kind of threat of legal action. That's pretty pathetic on the part of Brampton Flooring. Not sure if the admin will even share with us if that is true or not.

So forgetting Brampton Flooring, I wonder what RFD's policy is in regards to businesses that threaten legal action over a complaint thread. Are such threads immediately removed, does RFD have a legal team that advises what to do on a case by case basis, etc. I wonder what the procedure is in cases where legal action is threatened.

It's sad really, I would hope RFD would stand up for its members and defend our ability to expose shady businesses, but I guess court costs could potentially get too expensive to do that.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
24780 posts
2790 upvotes
Hamilton
Can i get a cliff notes on what happened in that thread?
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
[OP]
Jul 5, 2004
23504 posts
3054 upvotes
yao416 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 1:39 pm
The cliff notes don't have the word "baller" in them anywhere. Still interested? :lol:
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
24780 posts
2790 upvotes
Hamilton
Shaner wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 1:42 pm
The cliff notes don't have the word "baller" in them anywhere. Still interested? :lol:
Sure.
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
[OP]
Jul 5, 2004
23504 posts
3054 upvotes
yao416 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 1:39 pm
This may get this thread deleted too, but it was probably going to disappear in time anyway.

RFD user bought hardwood flooring from Brampton Hardwood. Only half was in stock. RFD'er took half and was told the other half would come in shortly. It took a very long time to get the rest. Brampton hardwood kept trying to send the RFD'er different type of wood and even cut out words from the box and pasted in new words to try and pass off incorrect wood. RFD'er never got matching wood and had to settle for a slightly different colour.

Then a newbie entered into that thread and defended Brampton Hardwood and blasted everyone else in thread. Probably also reported the thread I'm sure.

That's all alleged and unproven of course.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
24780 posts
2790 upvotes
Hamilton
Then that thread should definitely be kept opened. That's what the RFD community all about. Helping others out, to avoid at all cost.
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14466 posts
2047 upvotes
Toronto
I have had this exact situation happen to me half a year ago. I posted my experience at this phone dealer and the guy threatened to take legal action so we negotiated a deal and settled everything.

RFD made an attempt to avoid censoring but at the end of the day I sold out and I took a offer I couldn't resist ($500 galaxy nexus no hst back in January.)
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14466 posts
2047 upvotes
Toronto
yao416 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 1:53 pm
Then that thread should definitely be kept opened. That's what the RFD community all about. Helping others out, to avoid at all cost.
I agree. Its in the benefit of the community. I demand it be reinstated or rebuilt!!!

Even if it is negatively affecting their reputation, here on rfd the views of our fellow members are expressed truthfully and it reflects this establishment. It is the freedom of speech and it is not hateful to give the truth.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14466 posts
2047 upvotes
Toronto
Drew87 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 12:47 pm
Good question - I would like to know as well..

The only logical explanation I can think of is someone from Brampton flooring contacted RFD and threatened to sue them for defamation.
How could they win in a case when the OP of the previous thread was explaining the truth of his/her experience?

Its only the freedom of speech when it makes sense.