Site Comments & Suggestions

Locked: Why was the Brampton flooring thread removed?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2012 9:38 am
Tags:
None
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2001
17123 posts
683 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
Better off using a site like HomeStars DOT com to look up such companies. They (as of yet) don't appear to be beholden to legal threats.

http://homestars.com/companies/198438-b ... ea=1804592

I see the RFDer's review is there and hasn't yet been removed (of course, if that happened, then HomeStars loses ALL credibility).
Also notice the obvious shill posts on that page, i.e. "Jennifer in Brampton". :lol:
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2021 upvotes
Nowhere
This site is really going downhill. The OP was just relating his experience with Brampton Hardwood Floors Limited. Something members of this site do everyday. Others also wrote that they had negative experiences and yes, a few wrote they had positive experiences (or at least they got what they ordered). The responses from Brampton Hardwood to negative feedback on Homestars (which they have now deleted) showed that this was not a business that many members here would want to deal with and the OPs warning was warranted. If we needed any further confirmation to avoid Brampton Hardwood, I think we just got with the removal of the thread.

I am grateful for the warning about Brampton Hardwood. I live in the area, used to pass by it daily and they would have been my first stop when I was ready to do my floors. Not anymore. One of the things I value about this site is hearing the experiences of other members in dealing with businesses. There are many businesses that I now patronize based on member feedback and others I avoid. If you remove this from the site, then there is no reason for me to continue here. Remember it is the members who make this site what it is.

I hate businesses that bully others to get negative comments removed but worse I hate the recipients of those threats who cave in to this pressure. There is nothing wrong with a user reporting his experience and nothing RFD had to worry about. Let them huff and puff all they want. It reminds me of the recent example Labatts and the Montreal Gazette. The Gazette stood firm and Labatts backed off. Too bad there is no backbone here.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8134 posts
2101 upvotes
Mississauga
Wow! Brampton Hardwood Floors has a lot of negative feedback on home stars website.

This is the type of information us RFDers and the Canadian public needs to know about. After all, RedFlagDeals IS a shopping community for consumers looking for the best value for their hard earned money.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Banned
Mar 2, 2011
5476 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
Cheap Cat wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 2:24 pm
This site is really going downhill. The OP was just relating his experience with Brampton Hardwood Floors Limited. Something members of this site do everyday. Others also wrote that they had negative experiences and yes, a few wrote they had positive experiences (or at least they got what they ordered). The responses from Brampton Hardwood to negative feedback on Homestars (which they have now deleted) showed that this was not a business that many members here would want to deal with and the OPs warning was warranted. If we needed any further confirmation to avoid Brampton Hardwood, I think we just got with the removal of the thread.

I am grateful for the warning about Brampton Hardwood. I live in the area, used to pass by it daily and they would have been my first stop when I was ready to do my floors. Not anymore. One of the things I value about this site is hearing the experiences of other members in dealing with businesses. There are many businesses that I now patronize based on member feedback and others I avoid. If you remove this from the site, then there is no reason for me to continue here. Remember it is the members who make this site what it is.

I hate businesses that bully others to get negative comments removed but worse I hate the recipients of those threats who cave in to this pressure. There is nothing wrong with a user reporting his experience and nothing RFD had to worry about. Let them huff and puff all they want. It reminds me of the recent example Labatts and the Montreal Gazette. The Gazette stood firm and Labatts backed off. Too bad there is no backbone here.
Couldn't agree with you more
Agafaba: "Hitman doesnt troll, he just has very strong opinions about controversial topics"
stealth: "Classic Hitman response. ;) A God amongst trolls"
pablonutribar: "Hehehe - you are a god amongst trolls."
king_george: "Keep up the good fight you awesome freeedom fighter you"
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17667 posts
1759 upvotes
Woodbridge
I saw the thread, read a few of the post but didn't really follow it.

I'm surprised MODS/RFD still hasn't responded to this thread.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2010
1223 posts
203 upvotes
Toronto
wilsonlam97 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 2:14 pm
How could they win in a case when the OP of the previous thread was explaining the truth of his/her experience?

Its only the freedom of speech when it makes sense.
Defamation I believe is only when the person is clearly lying to damage the reputation of a person/company - if the OP said "they have a sweat shop of 13 year old girls in the basement", then I could see the thread being removed. He was just sharing his experience with a company, I would think free speech applies, considering how often there are similar threads on here complaining about Futureshop or CanadianTire.

RFD fail.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2004
4154 posts
128 upvotes
This is pathetic. RFD, you should be ashamed.
Banned
Mar 2, 2011
5476 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
porphyra wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 4:15 pm
This is pathetic. RFD, you should be ashamed.
+1. Completely agree with you. This is censorship at its worst.
Agafaba: "Hitman doesnt troll, he just has very strong opinions about controversial topics"
stealth: "Classic Hitman response. ;) A God amongst trolls"
pablonutribar: "Hehehe - you are a god amongst trolls."
king_george: "Keep up the good fight you awesome freeedom fighter you"
May 27, 2007
15691 posts
3125 upvotes
Toronto
Shaner wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 12:33 pm
Why was that thread deleted? It was an informative thread about a company allegedly scamming an RFD member. Why delete it?
Did Brampton flooring complain directly to someone high up in YellowPages?

It makes no sense to delete a thread warning other RFD'ers about shady business practices. Unless there's something we don't know, such as it was proven the OP was lying or something along those lines. If that's the case, it would be good to know that too.
I believe this particular thread was removed due to (legal) action taken.

Im speaking for myself here, but "scam" threads are (almost) never deleted simply because the business(es) in question complains.
These threads serve as an important resource for the community, and inform shoppers of the negative (and positive) experiences.

Complaints are received on a daily basis from businesses wanting certain posts/threads deleted because it showed up on Google.
But unless something crosses the line (ie: users making threats), it will not be edited/removed.

Personal opinion - I don't think its very nice for everyone to jump to conclusions so fast (as seen from all the heated replies in this thread)... Have some faith in the site you visit. Just saying. :o
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14224 posts
1100 upvotes
Pathetic, RFD also rolled over when a user threatened legal action because his avatar is religious.

See this post for the avatar issue.
commentary-questions-regarding-inconsis ... st14900411

So that is all it takes for RFD to roll over? The mere mention of legal action and they give up. Maybe users that are banned should use that method.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
[OP]
Jul 5, 2004
23842 posts
3402 upvotes
AcidBomber wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 7:23 pm
I believe this particular thread was removed due to (legal) action taken.

Im speaking for myself here, but "scam" threads are (almost) never deleted simply because the business(es) in question complains.
These threads serve as an important resource for the community, and inform shoppers of the negative (and positive) experiences.

Complaints are received on a daily basis from businesses wanting certain posts/threads deleted because it showed up on Google.
But unless something crosses the line (ie: users making threats), it will not be edited/removed.
Yeah, I acknowledged that back on page 1.
why-brampton-flooring-thread-removed-11 ... st14901936

I have no doubt why it was removed. The question in the title of the thread really was rhetorical. Even before I created this thread I was confident of the answer to my question, but as you stated, complaints are received on a daily basis from businesses, so why was this one removed while others remain? I'm just wondering where the line is drawn? When legal action is taken or threat of legal action, are threads automatically removed? Is it a case by case basis?

Like I said back on page 1, I would hope RFD would stand up for the ability of RFD members to post experiences with shady businesses; however, I understand court costs could potentially be too expensive to permit that without exception.

I guess I was just looking for an admin to explain what happened, although I guess since some form of legal action has already been taken, it doesn't surprise me that the admin would prefer to stay out of this discussion.

It says a lot about Brampton Hardwood though. They'd rather threaten legal action against the host of the website that contains the information than deal with the actual customer complaint. That business is a joke!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
973 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Shaner, it's my understanding that threads are only removed when RFD has been actually served legal paperwork. I know a while ago a business owner was reporting every single post in a thread about their business and it was not removed as the owner only threatened legal action but never actually did.
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8134 posts
2101 upvotes
Mississauga
Brampton Hardwoods legal threat was probably nothing but hot air. If they sue the website then they would have to sue the home star website as well. Because that site has nothing but all negative reviews of their business.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
[OP]
Jul 5, 2004
23842 posts
3402 upvotes
CSK'sMom wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 11:23 pm
Shaner, it's my understanding that threads are only removed when RFD has been actually served legal paperwork. I know a while ago a business owner was reporting every single post in a thread about their business and it was not removed as the owner only threatened legal action but never actually did.
Good to know. So it sounds like in this case an actual affidavit was delivered.
That makes Brampton Hardwood look even worse than before. They've really done themselves an even bigger disservice by serving RFD with an affidavit. Anyone who pays any attention to RFD would know that it really is impossible to silence this community.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4102 upvotes
Ottawa
Could someone in Brampton have a look to see how big their ad is in the Yellow Pages? I doubt anyone would still have a copy that didn'nt end up in the recycle bin...but maybe.

I sure as hell hope it has something to do with legal action and not threatening to kill the relationship with a company on life support that can't afford to turn down a few $100 bucks a year.

I just find it odd that a legal paperwork from a company's lawyer would get into the hands of another company's lawyer at noon on a Saturday...
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain