Art and Photography

Why are camera bags so overpriced in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 9th, 2017 4:11 am
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
444 posts
119 upvotes

Why are camera bags so overpriced in Canada?

It's nuts what some of them go for when you want more slots, pouches, compartments. But then you go on Amazon and look up their "Amazon Basics" line and they sell bags for 15% of the price of a brand new. Afterall, it's all made in China stuff, so why such crazy prices for larger bags?

Like there is this one I want, I really love it, it fits all my gear and IMO its better to get a bigger than than a smaller one because then you won't have to buy a larger one down the road (we all know resell value on bags is pretty much nothing). But it's $150 and its Manfrotto brand (we know their stuff is overpriced, good but overpriced). I love the bag, it's pretty much a clone of a Thinktank bag (and we all know the crazy prices on those). Unfortunately this is the only bag that I've come across so far to fit all my stuff. But $150 for something that probably costed $5 to make. I'm trying to swallow my pride to justify the price, but I just feel like Im getting jipped.

The RFDer tells me to keep shopping and do the foot work to find something cheaper. But it's not easy finding bags that will fit two full size cameras, an additional lens, action cam, ultrapod. The Manfrotto does and it's so well laid out, I love everything about it except the price. It probably costed $5 to make this thing.

What's the reason for such high markup in Canada?
Last edited by DiamondDallasPage on Jan 6th, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
39 replies
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
444 posts
119 upvotes
coriolis wrote:
Jan 6th, 2017 2:03 pm
Buy it on BHPhoto
Customs nails you, works out to be more. BH is good for some stuff but only if you buy in lumpsomes.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18333 posts
3439 upvotes
Thornhill
DiamondDallasPage wrote:
Jan 6th, 2017 2:08 pm
Customs nails you, works out to be more. BH is good for some stuff but only if you buy in lumpsomes.
I've bought almost all my camera accessories from BHPhoto, shipping is reasonable and you prepay the taxes so the price in the cart is what you pay. Still cheaper then locally, though not as much with our dollar.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
444 posts
119 upvotes
coriolis wrote:
Jan 6th, 2017 2:21 pm
I've bought almost all my camera accessories from BHPhoto, shipping is reasonable and you prepay the taxes so the price in the cart is what you pay. Still cheaper then locally, though not as much with our dollar.
I managed to find an Amazon's Basic bag for $45 so I ordered that. Can fit two DSLR's and more.

I just couldn't justify much for a bag I'm cheap lol especially knowing they cost cents to make.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
1939 posts
304 upvotes
Oshawa
Canada Duties and Customs ... aka LEGALIZED GANG ... always rip you off!

I ordered a fishing rod from Tacklewarehouse over the holidays ... wasn't cheap ... thanks to our horrible dollar ... worked out to be about $280 CAD ... it was shipped by UPS (the ONLY way to ship) ... and was charged $35 CAD for customs ...

You can't get that fishing rod brand here as nobody carries it here ... I guess importing has it's costs!

All I can say ... search on eBay ... sometimes you could get a better deal for a camera bag there ... and when it is shipped ... more than likely you won't have to pay customs ...

If you purchase online from a larger retailer ... customs is guaranteed because its the delivery company they choose to use.

I bought my Kata 3N1-20 Sling Backpack camera bag from Henry's for $69.99 when it was on sale back in July 2012 ...

And for the tripod ... picked it up in Taipei when I was there in November 2011 and brought it back with my on my flight back ... (wasn't charged customs when I brought it back either) ...
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.

Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, OSP RULES!
YGK, Toray, Sunline RULES!
Shimano RULES!
St. Croix & Halo RULES!

JDM ONLY.
Dec 20, 2016
27 posts
5 upvotes
Vancouver BC
I second the Amazon Basics bags. I've had one for several years and it's been around the world and held up fine.

I think the problem is the suppliers. I worked in camera sales for some time and the price we were buying them from the supplier was quite high. It was often cheaper to buy in the states than even what our store could buy the bags for. Imagine when our dollar goes back to 1:1. :/
-Dreki, occasional YouTube tech reviewer and professional opinion-haver
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
444 posts
119 upvotes
drekitech wrote:
Jan 6th, 2017 11:27 pm
I second the Amazon Basics bags. I've had one for several years and it's been around the world and held up fine.

I think the problem is the suppliers. I worked in camera sales for some time and the price we were buying them from the supplier was quite high. It was often cheaper to buy in the states than even what our store could buy the bags for. Imagine when our dollar goes back to 1:1. :/
I saw a bag on the shelf at London Drugs last night for $400. LOL I bet there is a thick layer on dust on it, who the heck pays $400 for a bag? Are the zippers made of 24k gold?
Dec 29, 2016
10 posts
2 upvotes
I think camera bags are not so overpriced in Canada. I just visited amazon Canada and saw some good bags. All are around 30 CDN. Canvas DSLR SLR Camera Shoulder Bags is a good one, price- 32 CDN, Napoo Camera Backpack Bag Waterproof DSLR--also in 32 CDN.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
444 posts
119 upvotes
jeffsnyder wrote:
Jan 7th, 2017 12:59 pm
I think camera bags are not so overpriced in Canada. I just visited amazon Canada and saw some good bags. All are around 30 CDN. Canvas DSLR SLR Camera Shoulder Bags is a good one, price- 32 CDN, Napoo Camera Backpack Bag Waterproof DSLR--also in 32 CDN.
They are overpriced when you see that you can get clone versions of the same quality bags minus the "brand name" on Amazon (brand" Amazon basics) for a fraction of the cost.

There is no doubt in my mind, that Manfrotto bag for $150 is essentially a $15 bag but jacked up with the Manfrotto logo. To me a bag is a bag, I couldn't care less what brand it is or how balling it is.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3449 posts
271 upvotes
i've bought camera bags ranging from $20 to $200
the fit and finish, fitment and features on the nicer bag is well worth it. No compromises.

If i have to decide what to carry or if the access to my camera is cumbersome and it makes me enjoy shooting less than it's that's $20 wasted. I think if you try to put heavier cameras/lenses and take it in more rugged environment you'll see the cheap bag failing a lot sooner.
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6651 posts
930 upvotes
For some people the camera bags makes sense, they are designed for very specific needs.

For me, I don't even use camera bag anymore, just use a good weatherproof messanger bag and put an insert in.

Works for back packs and not only saving money but I can put the insert in whichever bag I like and change it up.

Another plus is, it feels more discreet when I travel with a bag without the typical camera bag logo.

http://www.digitalcamerabaghq.com/camer ... nger-bags/
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
3057 posts
485 upvotes
Vancouver
My guess is that either there is one or more camera bag manufacturers in Canada already and our government is protecting them via tariffs etc (i.e. keeping jobs in Canada) or camera bags fall under a customs classification for bags/purses/etc and somewhere in Canada there is a textiles company making a similar product under that classification.
Nov 14, 2007
171 posts
1 upvote
Ontario
I have actually found some decent prices in Canada, even a few used in good shape at one of my local retailers who has used.

Pelican cases are a different story though, US is cheaper in my experience.