Art and Photography

Why are camera bags so overpriced in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 9th, 2017 4:11 am
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
3352 posts
259 upvotes
St. John's
ThinkTank or bust, IMO
Let's hug it out
Flickr
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
8653 posts
3106 upvotes
Southern Ontario
knorot wrote:
Jan 8th, 2017 4:04 pm
I have actually found some decent prices in Canada, even a few used in good shape at one of my local retailers who has used.

Pelican cases are a different story though, US is cheaper in my experience.
The 1510 with dividers was $169.99 boxing day, that was hot.
amazon-ca-pelican-1510-case-w-dividers-169-99-2068764/
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
298 posts
75 upvotes
twitchyzero wrote:
Jan 8th, 2017 3:04 am
i've bought camera bags ranging from $20 to $200
the fit and finish, fitment and features on the nicer bag is well worth it. No compromises.

If i have to decide what to carry or if the access to my camera is cumbersome and it makes me enjoy shooting less than it's that's $20 wasted. I think if you try to put heavier cameras/lenses and take it in more rugged environment you'll see the cheap bag failing a lot sooner.
I'm not going to lie, the fit and finish on the Manfrotto backpack M that I like is top notch. Everything from the zippers to the material reeks quality. But I just cant swallow the $150 price tag, knowing it costs $5 to make.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
298 posts
75 upvotes
I just ordered this bag off Amazon. It's pretty much a clone to the Manfrotto M backpack but 1/3 the cost, $100 cheaper. I love this style of bag, the top compartment is so big it can hold a DSLR (That's what I'll be using this bag for, to store two cameras, one extra lens, action cam and ultra pod and super clamp.

I can't believe I paid $90 for a Lowepro bag that is similar but a lot smaller. Never again.

Jul 23, 2009
90 posts
13 upvotes
AV-Fishing wrote:
Jan 6th, 2017 4:36 pm

I ordered a fishing rod from Tacklewarehouse over the holidays ... wasn't cheap ... thanks to our horrible dollar ... worked out to be about $280 CAD ... it was shipped by UPS (the ONLY way to ship) ... and was charged $35 CAD for customs ...

There aren't any duty fees on photography equipment. That $35 fee you got was charged by UPS, not Canada Customs. UPS just adds fees on to anything going across the border for the simple fact that they can. It doesn't matter that you've already paid for international shipping - which, by definition, crosses a border, they charge you twice because they want to.
Many couriers do this unfortunately, but UPS is notorious for it. The best bet to avoid extra fees at the border is US Post/Canada Post - though you'll still sometimes get hit with GST/HST.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
1913 posts
292 upvotes
oldscotch wrote:
Jan 12th, 2017 1:33 pm
There aren't any duty fees on photography equipment. That $35 fee you got was charged by UPS, not Canada Customs. UPS just adds fees on to anything going across the border for the simple fact that they can. It doesn't matter that you've already paid for international shipping - which, by definition, crosses a border, they charge you twice because they want to.
Many couriers do this unfortunately, but UPS is notorious for it. The best bet to avoid extra fees at the border is US Post/Canada Post - though you'll still sometimes get hit with GST/HST.
Incorrect.

The receipt was $31.67 in HST on the product ... plus $3 for the Brokerage Fee ... plus HST on the $3 ...

$31.67 HST goes to the government ... it's labelled as Taxes on Imported Product ...
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.

Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, OSP RULES!
YGK, Toray, Sunline RULES!
Shimano RULES!
St. Croix & Halo RULES!

JDM ONLY.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
298 posts
75 upvotes
Here is a pic of the $400 bag at London Drugs. There is no way this bag is worth 8 times the cost, $350 more than the one I just got off Amazon. You clearly pay for the brand and to look like a GQ ballin hipster.

This bag probably costs $6 to make lol.

Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2255 posts
323 upvotes
DiamondDallasPage wrote:
Jan 6th, 2017 2:08 pm
Customs nails you, works out to be more. BH is good for some stuff but only if you buy in lumpsomes.
It's also a great excuse to make a trip to NYC! Photo gear and tons of photo ops!
Jul 23, 2009
90 posts
13 upvotes
Being charged taxes at the border is normal, a customs or duty fee is a separate thing.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
2849 posts
501 upvotes
Toronto
bhrm wrote:
Jan 12th, 2017 4:28 pm
It's also a great excuse to make a trip to NYC! Photo gear and tons of photo ops!
Heading to NYC this weekend... what's a good place for photo gear? B&H? Any other places to recommend?
PSN: M̶1̶G̶O̶m̶i̶g̶s̶ | XBox Live: M1GO
Gamervets.com
Dorkshelf.com
Aug 1, 2010
617 posts
219 upvotes
Montreal
DiamondDallasPage wrote:
Jan 12th, 2017 4:05 pm
Here is a pic of the $400 bag at London Drugs. There is no way this bag is worth 8 times the cost, $350 more than the one I just got off Amazon. You clearly pay for the brand and to look like a GQ ballin hipster.

This bag probably costs $6 to make lol.

Is the one you bought waterproof?

Peak Design products are expensive for good reasons, the details on them is striking, everything at the right place and the bag is super durable. Yes you pay a huge premium but it's worth it.

Might as say why buy the Olympus OMD-M1 Mark II when I can buy a Yi Mi camera for 6 times cheaper.
Portrait and Wedding Photographer - Instagram
Jun 30, 2009
727 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
Buying a lightly used bag would be my suggestion. I recently purchased a used ThinkTank bag for $40 on Craigslist. Great quality and it was like new.
Oct 28, 2016
75 posts
12 upvotes
Somehow, the manufacturer got the idea that, Not only a camera but also it's cover is a luxurious product. So, they think it would be unwise to sell such things with less prices.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel