Art and Photography

Why are camera bags so overpriced in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 9th, 2017 4:11 am
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3421 posts
247 upvotes
The everyday backpack is finally that near-perfect travel bag for me. The finish and functionality blows every other camera bag I've tried out of the water. Can't praise their customer service enough either.

I'm assuming OP actually hasn't tried it out in-person.

I'm glad you found a bag that suits your needs at a good price; no need to try to put others down. Most don't buy Peak Design solely for the brand, it's good quality with great innovation. They didn't break crowdfunding record in its class to the tune of $6.5M for producing mediocre bags for their track record.

I'm not denying there's a premium but perhaps you could cite how Manfrotto (most of their hardware is made in Italy) or Peak Design's product BoM is only $5-6. I'll wait.

I already stated on page 1, put a cheaper bag through its pace in rugged environment and it'll fall apart after a trip. Which is fine because you can just buy another one and wallet still comes out ahead. Personally, I need something that I can depend on if I'm backpacking more than 200km. Like others say, you get what you pay for.
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5329 posts
1337 upvotes
Cornwall PE
thericyip wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 5:11 pm
You get what you pay for.
Every time I hear or read that phrase I can't help thinking, "man if only that were true". Most times you never get what you actually payed for, unless you feel a logo is valuable to you. :rolleyes:
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3421 posts
247 upvotes
but perhaps avoid getting lasik surgery done in Mexican border towns ? Face With Tears Of Joy
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1626 posts
376 upvotes
North York
Bags are personal and very much up to the user's needs. I swear by Think Tank and Peak Design bags.
Aug 1, 2010
711 posts
267 upvotes
Montreal
betamaxman wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 6:02 pm
Every time I hear or read that phrase I can't help thinking, "man if only that were true". Most times you never get what you actually payed for, unless you feel a logo is valuable to you. :rolleyes:
This is not Gucci or Prada that we're talking about. You pay more for Peak Design and Think Tank bags but you really do get for the money. Last thing I want is a bag falling apart with all my gear in it.
Portrait and Wedding Photographer - Instagram
Apr 7, 2007
48 posts
6 upvotes
I have the stock canon bag, a lowepro backpack and my biggest bargain was a backpack from the source...after CAA discount of 10% and promo coupon (1/2 price basically...buy $50 get $25off) bought the back for $8 + tax. Obviously bought other stuff to make it $50.

Bag was really well padded and felt comfortable on my back when loaded.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
1158 posts
498 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
twitchyzero wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 4:21 pm
The everyday backpack is finally that near-perfect travel bag for me. The finish and functionality blows every other camera bag I've tried out of the water. Can't praise their customer service enough either.

I'm assuming OP actually hasn't tried it out in-person.

I'm glad you found a bag that suits your needs at a good price; no need to try to put others down. Most don't buy Peak Design solely for the brand, it's good quality with great innovation. They didn't break crowdfunding record in its class to the tune of $6.5M for producing mediocre bags for their track record.

I'm not denying there's a premium but perhaps you could cite how Manfrotto (most of their hardware is made in Italy) or Peak Design's product BoM is only $5-6. I'll wait.

I already stated on page 1, put a cheaper bag through its pace in rugged environment and it'll fall apart after a trip. Which is fine because you can just buy another one and wallet still comes out ahead. Personally, I need something that I can depend on if I'm backpacking more than 200km. Like others say, you get what you pay for.
If you want something to last, look for 1000D (danier) Cordura. Normally things around 800D-1000D have heavy stitching. www.Maxpedition.com stuff comes to mind. I think they are working on some camera bags with that level of durability.
...Location: GTA North

If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.

GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread

[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100). Please let me know if you have one for sale. Willing to part trade stuff or labour.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5329 posts
1337 upvotes
Cornwall PE
The source has some discounted camera bags, saw a large mid quality back pack big enough to hold a dslr with decent lens and battery grip and about 4 or more lenses for $19.99. Would of bought it but na don't care for back packs for camera gear, but then hmmm. Can't remember the name but might be worth it for some to check out.
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Jan 22, 2017
51 posts
11 upvotes
Have you tried checking out bags at Camera stores in Canada, rather than buying from Amazon or ebay? What is the price difference if you have checked?
Mar 8, 2017
8 posts
2 upvotes
The answer is quite simple. Go by consumer pshychology. They are expensive because even more expensive things go inside them. So the consumer psychological angle ("vanity") is that surely this is the only legit bag worthy of carrying your treasured gear and maintaining that gear is a relatively small investment undoubtedly worth the price.