• Jan 24th, 2019 11:31 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17390 posts
1603 upvotes
Woodbridge

Why can't ALL android phones run stock?

I'm just asking because if this was the case does it solve the update delays like with my Rogers Huawei P20 Pro?

Why are carriers involved in this?

Basically, why can't it be like Apple's iOS where they control everything.

Is this about carriers & companies want control too? I guess they pay Google for this privileged?

I love my girl's LG G7 One. This is why I'm bringing this up. I'm running it stock too no need for Nova Launcher. As I said if third party launchers wasn't possible I would stick with Apple more.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
35 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11712 posts
3755 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I think this is the case where Apple does both software & hardware and therefore has control over both. Whereas for Android, Google develops the software/OS, and the phone manufacturers take it and tweaks it for their phones (and ads customization/branding).
Aug 19, 2018
456 posts
405 upvotes
Theoretically speaking, nothing stop carriers or individual manufacturer to simply use stock Android build and let the phone update with google with minimal intervention.

In reality:
  • Vendor want their phone to stand out, they want to add features other phone doesn't have to use as selling points.
  • Vendor gets a kickback from data collected from their own app or bundling apps from a software company.
  • Sometimes they even bypass the whole app store and use their own because running an app store is a revenue generator. Amazon fire does this, many Chinese phone makers do this. For example. I'm sure there are more out there.
  • Carriers want to get data from their customer too, they also want to get kickback from software company or website to bundle their apps.
  • Carriers has incentives to restrict hoe the phone is used, like disabling tethering, limiting rooting to bypass locked features, adding their own logo, etc
  • People who care about these updates at the time of purchasing the phone is a minority, they are not losing many customers by adding update difficulty.
Since Google allows all of these because Android is technically "free" for modification, this is what the end user has to put up with.

So, in short, the answer is: Money

For end users who care about their phone receiving updates, they are best sticking with Google phone, or to a lesser extent, companies that back up their products with updating like One Plus.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
20017 posts
6149 upvotes
I'm never buying a device that isn't GSI compatible from now on.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17390 posts
1603 upvotes
Woodbridge
I get all that so basically these companies pay Google to put their own "twist" into their phones? Otherwise why can't Google take control.

I don't get what hardware has to do with it when the LG G7 One is running last year's specs.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15635 posts
5890 upvotes
Oakville
What @Cucumference said - if every Android phone ran stock Android, it would be MUCH harder to differentiate between phones. Samsung and the like see all their various bits of bloatware as an actual selling point.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1645 posts
259 upvotes
Aside from Google phones, OnePlus is the closest to stock Android.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6436 posts
1226 upvotes
doberman_baby wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 5:27 pm
Anything under Android One is stock as well. I am sure there are more but those are the majority.

I am a OnePlus user for the record, and it is perfectly fine by me any tweaks they have made.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1232 posts
827 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
With the direction Google is taking Android at this point, I'd rather have a vendor skin on top lol. The whole gesture based navigation in Android Pie just reeks of iOS, and I'd rather stay away from that. I buy Android precisely because it isn't iOS; if I wanted an iOS lookalike I'll just buy an actual iPhone TYVM.
Dec 4, 2017
315 posts
103 upvotes
doberman_baby wrote:
Moto as well. The only notable differences are the camera app and the Motorola app that no longer does much past gesture control.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3074 posts
487 upvotes
Markham, ON
bembol wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 11:48 am
I'm just asking because if this was the case does it solve the update delays like with my Rogers Huawei P20 Pro?

Why are carriers involved in this?

Basically, why can't it be like Apple's iOS where they control everything.

Is this about carriers & companies want control too? I guess they pay Google for this privileged?

I love my girl's LG G7 One. This is why I'm bringing this up. I'm running it stock too no need for Nova Launcher. As I said if third party launchers wasn't possible I would stick with Apple more.
You're failing to understand the most important aspect of this. Android is OPEN SOURCE, companies are free to add their own unique features as they see fit. By customizing their variation of Android, phone companies have their own competitive edge as to why consumers should purchase their phones. If you are so keen on updates, Google on how to force the update via your phone's bootloader. This shouldn't be a deal breaker as the latest doesn't always mean the best. Updates have very little to do with performance as it is primarily on the hardware spectrum. If you're expecting a huge increase in performance over a software update, you're way over yourself.

For me as a consumer, the number one priority for me is customization. If the company does not provide a method to unlock their bootloader (most notably LG, Sony etc), that is an instant no for me. Huawei recently announced their discontinuation of providing bootloader unlock codes this past summer so that's also one less option for me to look at. https://www.xda-developers.com/huawei-h ... lock-code/
AVOID buying dashcams from BlackBoxMyCar (BBMC) Read about their lies and unethical tactics HERE.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
16950 posts
14077 upvotes
Toronto
doberman_baby wrote:
also a used Essential PH-1 if you can find it for cheap. nice phone, pure Android 9 (Pie) with latest security patches.
Not only did we embarrass Marky Mark, we let down the Funky Bunch.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
20017 posts
6149 upvotes
EnyCe wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 9:01 am
If the company does not provide a method to unlock their bootloader (most notably LG, Sony etc), that is an instant no for me. Huawei recently announced their discontinuation of providing bootloader unlock codes this past summer so that's also one less option for me to look at. https://www.xda-developers.com/huawei-h ... lock-code/
Don't forget Xiaomi.
While they do allow it, how long it takes is arbitrary and changes on a whim.
My first and last device was 30 days. Some report 60 days.