Careers

Why can't my significant other find work in her field or any job that's sal based?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 8th, 2011 7:25 am
Tags:
None
Jun 22, 2011
32 posts
NORTH YORK

Why can't my significant other find work in her field or any job that's sal based?

:cry: I am under a lot of stress because of her failing to find work in her field. She is an Urban Planning/GIS graduate from the US and she can't land a job here in the field in the GTA or Ontario?????????
We are so disappointed as I can't even remember how many resumes she sent out and all.
The worst is all the cold calling emails we sent are like: Thanks for your interest but sorry we are not hiring or I can't hire...
:cry: The 2nd worst thing is she tried other jobs like office jobs but they didn't even attempt inviting her for an interview!
It's just sad that employers prejudged her when they see she is desperate and just applied and wouldn't stay...
The reality is just so cruel....
She got an interview by some other sales/marketing company... they don't even care about her qualifications and credentials.
They just need somebody to sell products at gas stations.... and it's commission based!
There is nothing wrong with those jobs but my GF's education will be wasted.

I seriously need help.... Any job related to GIS or Urban Planning will do...or even office work, Admin Assistant...will certainly help.

:cry:
30 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2979 posts
264 upvotes
Burlington
I wouldn't waste time and not work at all while trying to find a job in her specific field. Send out resumes to some more standard jobs whether it be data entry or filing or anything else really. While you may not be making big dollars that way you will have the extra spending cash to help tie you guys over till she is able to find something in her field. Even working a minimum wage job while searching for your specific field of work will give you some spare spending cash so the household isn't only reliant on your income.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2778 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
sokenyou wrote: :cry: I am under a lot of stress because of her failing to find work in her field. She is an Urban Planning/GIS graduate from the US and she can't land a job here in the field in the GTA or Ontario????????? This is not the fault of the program she graduated in but rather her career hunting tactic.
We are so disappointed as I can't even remember how many resumes she sent out and all. Well here's a problem..are you customizing each and every resume to the role being applied to or simply sending out the same resume everywhere? Chances are high that her resume is very poorly written but I will not make that judgement without seeing the resume.
The worst is all the cold calling emails we sent are like: Thanks for your interest but sorry we are not hiring or I can't hire... because they are looking for someone with more experience, skill etc...
:cry: The 2nd worst thing is she tried other jobs like office jobs but they didn't even attempt inviting her for an interview! Again, this is because her resume is probably very poorly written and she does not meet the required skill set for the role.
It's just sad that employers prejudged her when they see she is desperate and just applied and wouldn't stay... Wow...WOW...that has to be one of the most ignorant statements I've seen in a while. You need to understand that it is not their prejudice that causes no call-backs but rather the eligibility or candidacy of your wife for the particular role. It has NOTHING to do with prejudice. You need to stop blaming the system and help your wife work on her career-hunting abilities. Get professional help for her as it will speed up the process.
She got an interview by some other sales/marketing company... they don't even care about her qualifications and credentials. Of course they do!!! If she meets the skill requirements, she is lacking in her ability to communicate, lead or something else they were looking for.
They just need somebody to sell products at gas stations.... and it's commission based!

I seriously need help.... Any job related to GIS or Urban Planning will do...or even office work, Admin Assistant...will certainly help. Given her track record of job hunting, I would not even bother giving an interview; more than anything, she needs to improve the fundamentals before diving into this highly competitive environment. Good luck to the both of you!

Please get professional help; for your wife's sake & your family's financial security.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6990 upvotes
GTA
I'm a GIS graduate from Ryerson, and it took me almost 16 months to find work. During those 16 months, I've had 2-6 interviews per month, and its hard to continuously applying and then getting rejected. My problem was the lack of experience sadly.

Keep trying, gonna find something sooner or later.
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15536 posts
5790 upvotes
I wouldn't worry about. Been there done that, getting the first job is pretty hard without significant experience in a field, even consider other fields as well. What she needs to do is just take any type of job regardless of field or salary. I mean that's why you are the significant other, and even if she doesn't land anything, you will support her anyways. The key is not worry about and put too much pressure on yourselves when job hunting. The HR people can smell desperation from a mile away.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2011
1210 posts
89 upvotes
Nowhere
Get over the notion that you go to university or college for one thing and will wind up working in a directly related field. It is a myth. I mean I am not saying it doesn't happen, but if you limit yourself, no wonder you don't get a job.
Jan 18, 2011
391 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
sokenyou wrote: :cry: I am under a lot of stress because of her failing to find work in her field. She is an Urban Planning/GIS graduate from the US and she can't land a job here in the field in the GTA or Ontario?????????
We are so disappointed as I can't even remember how many resumes she sent out and all.
The worst is all the cold calling emails we sent are like: Thanks for your interest but sorry we are not hiring or I can't hire...
:cry: The 2nd worst thing is she tried other jobs like office jobs but they didn't even attempt inviting her for an interview!
It's just sad that employers prejudged her when they see she is desperate and just applied and wouldn't stay...
She got an interview by some other sales/marketing company... they don't even care about her qualifications and credentials.

I seriously need help.... Any job related to GIS or Urban Planning will do...or even office work, Admin Assistant...will certainly help.

First of all, you need to stop blaming her. Its very easy to do and its the first reaction of many posters here - blame the victim. The truth is that canada and toronto especially is a hyper competitive environment - if you look at the job requirements for a job in Toronto vs. similar a job elsewhere, they are much tougher here. Frankly - we have too many overeducated workers chasing too few jobs. A complicating factor is that its also a closed job market - meaning most people find work through connections - not answering job ads or cold calling. She could do that all day and not find work. Essentially - what's holding your gf back is her lack of connections and experience - not her resume or skillset.

One question comes to mind right now - when did she graduate? If it was more than 6 months ago, then studies show that the likelihood of her finding work in her chosen career path drops significantly. Not saying its impossible, but highly unlikely

Question 2: is she currently working? Many employers screen out the unemployed, meaning that it hits the recycle bin without even been looked at.

Question 3: is it possible to move out of toronto - it currently has a 10% unemployment rate - not a good city to come to looking for work

If it was me and you cant move, I would nudge her towards getting any job - even sales, and not be too harsh with her. Try not to be frustrated and to have some sympathy. She, like you, is stressed out about the situation, probably depresssed, and moreover it's her dreams that are dying not yours. She knows that with every day passing, the hope of her getting a job in her field fades a little bit more. Toronto, for most people, is where dreams go to die.

Best wishes.
Jun 22, 2011
32 posts
NORTH YORK
alpharius wrote: First of all, you need to stop blaming her. Its very easy to do and its the first reaction of many posters here - blame the victim. The truth is that canada and toronto especially is a hyper competitive environment - if you look at the job requirements for a job in Toronto vs. similar a job elsewhere, they are much tougher here. Frankly - we have too many overeducated workers chasing too few jobs. A complicating factor is that its also a closed job market - meaning most people find work through connections - not answering job ads or cold calling. She could do that all day and not find work. Essentially - what's holding your gf back is her lack of connections and experience - not her resume or skillset.

One question comes to mind right now - when did she graduate? If it was more than 6 months ago, then studies show that the likelihood of her finding work in her chosen career path drops significantly. Not saying its impossible, but highly unlikely

Question 2: is she currently working? Many employers screen out the unemployed, meaning that it hits the recycle bin without even been looked at.

Question 3: is it possible to move out of toronto - it currently has a 10% unemployment rate - not a good city to come to looking for work

If it was me and you cant move, I would nudge her towards getting any job - even sales, and not be too harsh with her. Try not to be frustrated and to have some sympathy. She, like you, is stressed out about the situation, probably depresssed, and moreover it's her dreams that are dying not yours. She knows that with every day passing, the hope of her getting a job in her field fades a little bit more. Toronto, for most people, is where dreams go to die.

Best wishes.

Just to clarify, I wasn't blaming her at all. In fact, I didn't show my worried face in front of her because I don't want her to feel upset.
I love and really care for her that's why I need a place to vent and I chose to write to this forum but I am worried about her at the same time. The longer she is unemployed, the harder she will get back in.

I might be too emotional when I was writing my first posting to this thread.

She is now unemployed and only do some freelance GIS work which is not much at all.

I'd like to point out that she tried applying almost every office job she sees such as Student jobs, interns, Admin Assistant, Receptionist and etc but no responses!!!

I tried almost every Planning consulting firm they are not hiring. Municipalities only hire experienced people

She just got her Canadian PR back in March so she started looking since but just no luck.

We tried professional help but they got nothing as well. I was surprised because agencies will work hard on getting people to interviews...that's what they do for a living but I guess it's just hard these days...

Anyway, I was hoping by writing to this forum, somebody will suggest some companies that are hiring or able to network for a bit and see if there are solutions out there.

Thank you all for your advice. Appreciate it.
May 18, 2011
194 posts
32 upvotes
Maybe you should post her resume on here for some critiquing. Take out all the private information of course. If she can't even find normal office work, I am wondering if it has to do with the resume/cover letter.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5654 posts
2168 upvotes
Urban planning is NOT an easy field to get a job in. Just tough it out and get any office job if money matters. Maybe as her "office experience" builds up, she can try again. If money is not a problem, just keep trying. Sadly "Planning" jobs are not that common.
Jan 18, 2011
391 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
sokenyou wrote: Just to clarify, I wasn't blaming her at all. In fact, I didn't show my worried face in front of her because I don't want her to feel upset.
I love and really care for her that's why I need a place to vent and I chose to write to this forum but I am worried about her at the same time. The longer she is unemployed, the harder she will get back in.

I might be too emotional when I was writing my first posting to this thread.

She is now unemployed and only do some freelance GIS work which is not much at all.

I'd like to point out that she tried applying almost every office job she sees such as Student jobs, interns, Admin Assistant, Receptionist and etc but no responses!!!

I tried almost every Planning consulting firm they are not hiring. Municipalities only hire experienced people

She just got her Canadian PR back in March so she started looking since but just no luck.

We tried professional help but they got nothing as well. I was surprised because agencies will work hard on getting people to interviews...that's what they do for a living but I guess it's just hard these days...

Anyway, I was hoping by writing to this forum, somebody will suggest some companies that are hiring or able to network for a bit and see if there are solutions out there.

Thank you all for your advice. Appreciate it.
OP - I apologize if I jumped to conclusions - I could tell from the title of the thread that you are frustrated and initially thought that you were blaming her. Administration jobs, sales, and retail jobs are the type of occupations that canada needs workers to fill - so they should be easy to get a spot for. ALtisHR usually specializes in that as well as manpower. She'll need to tailer her resume to highlight how many words per minute she can type, her organizational skills, etc.

I should note that it'll be tough for her even after she gets the job though - as on some level she'll feel resentful, angry, etc that she has a degree and can't get anything better than an admin job. Furthermore, by getting that job, she's essentially locking herself into that career stream. But considering that its almost been six months since she graduated, it doesn't look like she has any other choice but to do that and keep networking. What I can do is that if I hear anything about an urban planning job, I'll pass it on to you in a pm.

P.S - its a common misconception that recruiters work for people - but in actuality - they work for companies. In this labour market, if your significant other doesn't match the job description to a "T" - then she is rejected.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
2619 posts
273 upvotes
the country has been fllooded with the overeducated for decades. there are consequences for stupidity
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2010
2726 posts
79 upvotes
Since she's not working, it's a good time to have a baby or babies.
It's good to have kids and to be a stay at home mom.

A guy married a woman who is an optometrist.
Optometrist is a good, highly educated job.
When she became pregnant,
she quit her job because she didn't want to work anymore.

Imagine being pregnant and having to go to work.
After the baby arrives, you let a stranger look after your baby while you go back to work.
It's not good.

She could also continue her education.

-
PROTECT your pet from HOT SUN/HEAT. Dogs can die of heat stroke/dehydration=panting, fast breathing. Dogs need WATER, SHADE, COOL air
http://youtu.be/rYmk2jJZGdM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHgrrA1ERgo
Jun 22, 2011
32 posts
NORTH YORK
lpsaad wrote: Please get professional help; for your wife's sake & your family's financial security.

Thank you very much for your input.
We tried getting professional help but we get nothing from them up to this point. We contacted employment foundations, employment agencies, recruiters and etc, nothing has happened so far....
I might be too emotional when I was writing my first posting, but it's really a frustrating thing seeing her not getting a job.

I don't know if posting her resume here would help and I don't know if she minds. She has a profile in Linkedin but again nothing has happened yet...
Jul 3, 2011
143 posts
36 upvotes
Canada
Welcome to the Club! That is, the Club of educated but not eligible to work anywhere people. Could be the wrong education at the wrong time. This is becoming extremely common in North America. There are tens of thousands of people with a BA, BS or MS degrees in various programs who are not going to work in the fields of their choice because of lack of opportunities and hyper-extreme competition. For some it will occur very soon after graduation, for others it will occur after 25 or more years of working. Suddenly they are out of their environment and having to choose something they have never done before. So what? The preoccupation and obsession with work and career satisfaction is one of the most damaging aspects of life on this continent. Find another area of satisfaction in life and pursue that.
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2008
1402 posts
140 upvotes
Vancouver
I feel for you and this really sucks. However, I'm not surprised and you should not be as well.

First of all her education is in the US - employers in Canada don't like this and would rather hire someone who went to school here.

Second of all, Urban Planning jobs are really scarce and there is a flood of graduates all over Canada every year beating each other down for jobs... just like any other industry basically. I would compare it to jobs like Actuary and Investment Banker, where there are maybe 40 openings a year Canada-wide with 5-10,000 people competing for them.

You need a Plan B, what else is she good at?
Aug 30, 2008
909 posts
184 upvotes
ON
I have a friend in the US that has a masters degree in something similar. It took her YEARS to get something in her field (in a diff state - there just wasn't a market for whatever field it was called) with salary and benefits. You wouldn't believe the random jobs she's had in the meantime, but at least it paid off for her in the end...

If your SO is doing the same thing over and over again with no luck, well, as other posters have suggested, her strategy is going to have to change. Is she looking for a field or jobs that are a bit too specific? She must have picked up skills that are transferable and aren't just data entry jobs. She shouldn't settle for those jobs unless that's actually what she wants BUT there's nothing with working those jobs for now while job searching. Going to work and making money, in general, is pretty good for morale and gives a sense of normalcy.

My friend graduated with a sociology degree and no real work experience and ended up finding work in a completely unrelated field for decent pay...ya, this is just another random antidote, but expanding your horizons always helps. Her job is not related to sociology at ALL lol, but it's good. Her communication skills and people skills are great anyway which is more important.

Anyway, don't despair..I'm sure your SO is smart but finding a job is not a natural skill people have...my school had a week going over those things, but my interviews were horrible until a friend actually helped me with mock interviews and told me I literally did everything wrong hahah. It seems the problem right now though, is landing the interview so as some people have suggested, I'd post the resume up on RFD for some critique. People here are pretty good at giving honest feedback. And never too early to look into interview practices for when they DO come in.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
2017 posts
245 upvotes
stardustcross wrote: My friend graduated with a sociology degree and no real work experience and ended up finding work in a completely unrelated field for decent pay...ya, this is just another random antidote, but expanding your horizons always helps. Her job is not related to sociology at ALL lol, but it's good. Her communication skills and people skills are great anyway which is more important.

Lol wut
May 29, 2007
316 posts
19 upvotes
BananaHunter wrote: Urban planning is NOT an easy field to get a job in. Just tough it out and get any office job if money matters. Maybe as her "office experience" builds up, she can try again. If money is not a problem, just keep trying. Sadly "Planning" jobs are not that common.

this is true

everyone that i know in Urban Planning got a job because they did co-op or some type of related work while in university. it's tuff and you can't limit the job pool to just that
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
dibksbgon wrote: Get over the notion that you go to university or college for one thing and will wind up working in a directly related field. It is a myth. I mean I am not saying it doesn't happen, but if you limit yourself, no wonder you don't get a job.

So true.

A friend of mine took marketing and is now working at mcdonalds making $11/hr.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)