• Dec 11th, 2017 7:29 pm
Tags:
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
11213 posts
10058 upvotes
Kootenays

Why can't we have deals like this?

Mint SIM deals in the USA: (Kudos to JWL in the Travel forum!) Please note, these plans are in the USA and SIMs must be shipped to the USA.

They use the T-Mobile network and have a special on right now.

Unlimited talk/text and 2GB per month of 4G LTE $45 for 6 months (works out to $7.50 per month)

Unlimited talk/text and 5GB per month of 4G LTE $60 for 6 months ($10/month)

Unlimited talk/text and 10GB per month of 4G LTE $75 for 6 months ($12.50/month)

Prices doubles after 6 months.

https://www.mintsim.com/plans/
Last edited by smacd on Dec 9th, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
28 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6990 upvotes
GTA
Move to the US, where the population per square feet is denser.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
coriolis wrote: Move to the US, where the population per square feet is denser.
And more wireless competition.

I still think Nettalk wireless is a better deal IMHO.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
11213 posts
10058 upvotes
Kootenays
titaniumtux wrote: And more wireless competition.

What's their deal? I can't see it without signing in.
Nov 9, 2009
834 posts
142 upvotes
Wellington, ON
We badly need more competition here in Canada. Our rates are among the highest, if not the highest, in the World.
++++++++++++++
It's a thin line that separates a gourmet from a glutton.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
11213 posts
10058 upvotes
Kootenays
inhaliburton wrote: We badly need more competition here in Canada. Our rates are among the highest, if not the highest, in the World.
Couldn't agree more!
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
smacd wrote: What's their deal? I can't see it without signing in.
I think it's $45 USD per month for unlimited everything, includes roaming in Canada and Mexico, doesn't require the 50% usage in the US because it's a "business account".

Buy their dual-sim burner phone, that covers first three months. So it's like getting the phone free. Looks like they added referrals as well.
inhaliburton wrote: We badly need more competition here in Canada. Our rates are among the highest, if not the highest, in the World.
Until you discover the games you can play with the carriers. If you know what you're doing, data is dirt cheap here.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Nov 22, 2016
122 posts
32 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: I think it's $45 USD per month for unlimited everything, includes roaming in Canada and Mexico, doesn't require the 50% usage in the US because it's a "business account".

Buy their dual-sim burner phone, that covers first three months. So it's like getting the phone free. Looks like they added referrals as well.

Until you discover the games you can play with the carriers. If you know what you're doing, data is dirt cheap here.
I added on an additional line to my grandmothers AT&T unlimited plan. It's $20 US per month plus taxes totalling $28 US as she is in NYC. I get unlimited data with 22 GB at full speed, for use in US and Canada. It also uses a US IP address which enables me to access US Netflix. In Canada 22 GB would cost me at least $100. NetTALK isn't that useful as it runs on the T Mobile network and only allows 5 GB of data outside the US. It's also useless in most rural USA. NetTALK uses Bell or Telus as its roaming partners and AT&T uses Rogers.

If you have a freind in the US you can ask them to do the same and now AT&T has a promotion that if your freind upgrades their phone and adds a line the additional line can get a free iPhone 8. The iPhone however will be locked to AT&T for two years.
Last edited by FindDealstoronto on Dec 9th, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
11213 posts
10058 upvotes
Kootenays
There are small roaming charges for texts (2 cents) and talk (6 cents per minute) with MINT, but I wonder if there's a roaming charge for data? US$12.50 for 10 GB/month would be great.
Jul 2, 2011
285 posts
173 upvotes
Pickering, ON
titaniumtux wrote:
Please enlighten me. I've been with Rogers for decades and I've had a "smart" phone for years but I've always had the data feature turned off just so I don't have to give in to Rogers extortion. I do text and calls only. My self control drives my kids crazy, LOL!

I've decided it's time to get with the times so I'm trying to educate myself by looking through the forums. I'd like to start using data and Boxing day is coming up so I'm hopeful that there will be sales on with lesser known carriers that are a lot better than I'm used to with Rogers. Also, I'd like to switch to the Bell network since I've heard that it's better than Rogers as well. Which carriers should I check out? And what kind of plans should I watch for?

Thank you in advance,

Tom
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
tom_no.1 wrote: Please enlighten me. I've been with Rogers for decades and I've had a "smart" phone for years but I've always had the data feature turned off just so I don't have to give in to Rogers extortion. I do text and calls only. My self control drives my kids crazy, LOL!

I've decided it's time to get with the times so I'm trying to educate myself by looking through the forums. I'd like to start using data and Boxing day is coming up so I'm hopeful that there will be sales on with lesser known carriers that are a lot better than I'm used to with Rogers. Also, I'd like to switch to the Bell network since I've heard that it's better than Rogers as well. Which carriers should I check out? And what kind of plans should I watch for?

Thank you in advance,

Tom
Best phone deals IMO are with Koodo and Virgin. You can do much more damage with a dual-sim phone. Fido's tablet plan works in phones and is dirt cheap. Steps to get these deals are in cellphones and hot forums.
Jul 2, 2011
285 posts
173 upvotes
Pickering, ON
titaniumtux wrote: Best phone deals IMO are with Koodo and Virgin. You can do much more damage with a dual-sim phone. Fido's tablet plan works in phones and is dirt cheap. Steps to get these deals are in cellphones and hot forums.
Thank you very much Sir!

Tom
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6675 posts
5466 upvotes
LaLaLand
smacd wrote: There are small roaming charges for texts (2 cents) and talk (6 cents per minute) with MINT, but I wonder if there's a roaming charge for data? US$12.50 for 10 GB/month would be great.
There is no data roaming with Mint Sim.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoContract/com ... onal_data/

T-Mobile has a better deal (because roaming is included), 10GB with North America data roaming for $55. However, there is a 5GB cap for data roaming.

https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/simply-prepaid

AT&T has a similar plan, $45 for 6GB.

I love the competition in the US.
Last edited by batcave on Dec 9th, 2017 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 5, 2007
889 posts
473 upvotes
Mississauga
Well, should we deal with rogers/bell or comcast.....
Banned
Oct 14, 2015
264 posts
109 upvotes
Markham, ON
titaniumtux wrote: And more wireless competition.

They have 4 big carriers just like us
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Xfiles wrote: They have 4 big carriers just like us
Who's the fourth? We have Bell & Telus on one network, Robbers on the other, and no other carrier has their own towers nation-wide.

US has MVNO's. Canada has a few, but since the CRTC would not mandate wholesale tarrifs on wireless, it's insanely difficult to launch an MVNO in Canada.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6675 posts
5466 upvotes
LaLaLand
Xfiles wrote: They have 4 big carriers just like us
They almost had three carriers if the T-Mobile/Sprint merger went through. Thankfully they could not agree to terms.

However, there is way more competition in the US so it will always be cheaper.

The CRTC needs to serve Canadians better rather than serve the carriers interests. The chair and CEO of the CRTC is a former VP at Telus. This speaks volumes.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ian-sco ... -1.4210590
Banned
Oct 14, 2015
264 posts
109 upvotes
Markham, ON
titaniumtux wrote: Who's the fourth? We have Bell & Telus on one network, Robbers on the other, and no other carrier has their own towers nation-wide.

US has MVNO's. Canada has a few, but since the CRTC would not mandate wholesale tarrifs on wireless, it's insanely difficult to launch an MVNO in Canada.
Freedom/Shaw is the fourth . Bell and Telus do not share all towers and freedom/Shaw It's no worse than tmobile or Sprint in the states.

We are lucky we have three good networks, the US only have two, Verizon and AT&T
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6675 posts
5466 upvotes
LaLaLand
titaniumtux wrote: I think it's $45 USD per month for unlimited everything, includes roaming in Canada and Mexico, doesn't require the 50% usage in the US because it's a "business account".
They ask for an Employer Identification Number or a Social Security Number. I'm not sure If they can verify it, but making this stuff up may not be a great idea.
Banned
Oct 14, 2015
264 posts
109 upvotes
Markham, ON
batcave wrote: They almost had three carriers if the T-Mobile/Sprint merger went through. Thankfully they could not agree to terms.

However, there is way more competition in the US so it will always be cheaper.

The CRTC needs to serve Canadians better rather than serve the carriers interests. The chair and CEO of the CRTC is a former VP at Telus. This speaks volumes.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ian-sco ... -1.4210590
You must not pay attention to the states if you think they're better or crtc is worse than FCC

And of course the chair of crtc should be a former big Telco exec, that's a requirement for the job if you want someone who understands the sector. Who can do it without being a big Telco exec? Much like a medical officer of health should have training as a doctor and judge should have a law degree and have been a lawyer