¯\_(-.-)_/¯
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
3454 posts
1080 upvotes
BC / GVA
WOWMAN wrote:
Aug 1st, 2016 10:21 pm
Actually the Chevy commercials have turned me off the brand ...
I thought you guys would enjoy these:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
3454 posts
1080 upvotes
BC / GVA
One of the worst Chevy ads yet, just wait till the end, very cringe worthy:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
May 23, 2015
301 posts
475 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
What is toyota thinking? No Honda does not have toyota safety sense, because it has honda sensing.

Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
1223 posts
544 upvotes
Richmond
Car commercials do have a clear and important purpose: they create the "image" that the manufacturer is trying to establish for a particular model, and they make you aware of the existence and market positioning of that product. They may be going for sportiness, luxury, youthful "fun", family utility, tough trucker, wilderness explorer etc. etc.. The important thing is that after the commercial you remember something like "the Maxorola Gumpy is a great little car for young people with lots of friends and a fun lifestyle!". They don't expect you to actually believe anything in the commercial, they just want you to remember the Maxorola Gumpy if you are in the target demographic and shopping for a new car.

Sure, the actual content of the commercials can sometimes be offensive and horrifying, but it doesn't matter as long as you remember it. So carry on, SUVs laying waste to the pristine natural environment - it's not like most buyers will ever drive it off-road, it's just an image. Sure, it would be illegal and irresponsible to drive that sporty car on city streets like they show in the commercial (* driven on closed track) - but even car advertisers are careful about that one ever since Porsche was successfully sued by the family of a young idiot who drove his new car just like they showed in the commercials and crashed and died.
Feb 9, 2013
708 posts
339 upvotes
Ottawa
My favourite will always be this masterpiece:

They also did a version for 2017, which I think was brilliant:

Jan 18, 2009
29 posts
7 upvotes
oakville
And then there are the Nissan ones. It does not matter the time of the year or season.
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
13537 posts
2173 upvotes
Toronto
The Chevy commercials are terrible. I don't really care if they won car of the year or awards. The cars are still junk.
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
13963 posts
945 upvotes
THOSE NONSENSICAL ONES FROM SUBARU.

WHAT MARKETING IDIOT THOUGHT THEY WERE GOOD? MAY BE PEOPLE ARE REALLY HEADING TOWARDS AN IDIOCRACY AFTER ALL.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
3454 posts
1080 upvotes
BC / GVA
Supercooled wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 7:03 pm
THOSE NONSENSICAL ONES FROM SUBARU.

WHAT MARKETING IDIOT THOUGHT THEY WERE GOOD? MAY BE PEOPLE ARE REALLY HEADING TOWARDS AN IDIOCRACY AFTER ALL.
You mean like this one?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
Apr 22, 2009
975 posts
146 upvotes
Scarborough
dealseaker101 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 4:37 am
One of the worst Chevy ads yet, just wait till the end, very cringe worthy:

ugh. glad im not the only one who cant stand watching any of the chevy ads. its so unbearable. cring is correct
Past: 02' Protege5 | 07' Mazda3 GT | 02' BMW M3 | 10' Mazdaspeed3 |03 S2000 Now: 05' S2000
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
3910 posts
1792 upvotes
Montreal
Most people in marketing will tell you there is no such thing as bad publicity. Adverts are designed to make one aware of a product whether cringe worthy or not. At the risk of downvotes and angry retorts I won't post the 2 very short commercials of the Ford Sportka in the early 2000's that were designed around the early emerging days of social media/email marketing (remember no Facebook, YouTube had just started). One was not 'supposed' (I'm cynical) to be released but somehow it was and immediately went viral. Whether it worked in terms of sales is unknown but it was a big controversy for a long time and discussed for over a year, from that angle the marketing campaign was successful.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel