• Mar 12th, 2018 3:57 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16264 posts
4942 upvotes
Toronto

Why was the "CCTS Complaints against PM/Koodo/Telus" Thread Locked

@titaniumtux , this is a borderline attack on free speech. The question asked by OP was a reasonable one and not click bait. While the 1600 some odd complaints were being addressed in bulk by attempting to close them to the retraction of the price increase, that does not mean the customers who initiated the claim have to agree with this proposed resolution. I did respond to the CCTS closure recommendation. The CCTS ruled that the additional points I provided in my rebuttal were outside of their mandate, nevertheless they felt the points had sufficient merit to be forwarded to the carrier for review and disposition with the customer. Telus thought that it was important enough that they are trying to contact me. There has been a bit of telephone tag going on but otherwise the conversation continues. If this is click bait, then I will end by saying in before the lock.
10 replies
Jan 13, 2014
868 posts
262 upvotes
Calgary
Free speech doesn't apply on a message board like this. The government isn't censoring you.
May 8, 2009
6480 posts
2732 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
@will888 as mentioned in the thread, the price increase cancellation with Public Mobile had already been resolved. In the locked thread, OP wanted pursue the complaint with the CCTS because they found the whole ordeal ridiculous (meaning OP wanted to fight PM based on their opinion on the situation, despite the issue already doing been resolved).

The actual thread ran in Hot Deals (even though a price increase on PM is not a hot deal) since RFDers on PM wanted as much attention drawn to this as possible. Consumers won, PM did not follow through with the price increase.

I fail to see how this is an issue with free speech. Had OP asked as a question whether they have grounds to pursue a complaint with CCTS even though the issue had been resolved, I'd be more inclined to leave the thread and allow RFDers to weigh in. Since OP has already made up their mind (it's kind of like a millenial deciding to write a letter to the government asking for compensation for the years where same sex marriage was illegal, even though it's now been legal for several years).

@will888 I can appreciate that you were affected by the price increase scare on PM, but the issue is resolved and you won't be paying more for your wireless service on PM for a good while. Worthy discussions are whether it's still worth switching carriers, where to get a good phone deal while on prepaid/BYOD, etc. but certainly not pursuing a complaint with the CCTS even after an issue has been resolved.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16264 posts
4942 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 7:08 am
@will888 as mentioned in the thread, the price increase cancellation with Public Mobile had already been resolved. In the locked thread, OP wanted pursue the complaint with the CCTS because they found the whole ordeal ridiculous (meaning OP wanted to fight PM based on their opinion on the situation, despite the issue already doing been resolved).

The actual thread ran in Hot Deals (even though a price increase on PM is not a hot deal) since RFDers on PM wanted as much attention drawn to this as possible. Consumers won, PM did not follow through with the price increase.

I fail to see how this is an issue with free speech. Had OP asked as a question whether they have grounds to pursue a complaint with CCTS even though the issue had been resolved, I'd be more inclined to leave the thread and allow RFDers to weigh in. Since OP has already made up their mind (it's kind of like a millenial deciding to write a letter to the government asking for compensation for the years where same sex marriage was illegal, even though it's now been legal for several years).

@will888 I can appreciate that you were affected by the price increase scare on PM, but the issue is resolved and you won't be paying more for your wireless service on PM for a good while. Worthy discussions are whether it's still worth switching carriers, where to get a good phone deal while on prepaid/BYOD, etc. but certainly not pursuing a complaint with the CCTS even after an issue has been resolved.
I was more than emotionally scarred by the threat of a 25% price increase. My wallet has suffered material impact even with the price increase withdrawn. I went from having a nearly free cell line to having to pay whether I stay with Public Mobile or leave to Koodo. There might be more than just the two of us wanting to pursue the situation further and for our own individual reasons with or without the assistance of the CCTS. I see this discussion as having merit and the information sharing being useful to others. I appreciate that a thread like this will draw some thread crapping from those who don't have a dog in the race and you can go after those people for violating forum rules.
May 8, 2009
6480 posts
2732 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
will888 wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 9:01 am
I was more than emotionally scarred by the threat of a 25% price increase. My wallet has suffered material impact even with the price increase withdrawn. I went from having a nearly free cell line to having to pay whether I stay with Public Mobile or leave to Koodo. There might be more than just the two of us wanting to pursue the situation further and for our own individual reasons with or without the assistance of the CCTS. I see this discussion as having merit and the information sharing being useful to others. I appreciate that a thread like this will draw some thread crapping from those who don't have a dog in the race and you can go after those people for violating forum rules.
@will888 since you're more of a veteran here on RFD than OP in the locked thread, you're more than welcome to kick-start a thread discussing taking further action regarding potential price increases with PM.

My 2c. You agree their ToS by using their service, which most likely reserves the right to make changes any time with little or no notice (the usual carrier stuff). No one is entitled to "nearly free" wireless service. But if you post your thread in a well-written way, I won't lock the thread, and you'll be free to discuss fighting the good fight against the carrier without suggesting that you're entitled to nearly free service or that them making changes that they are entitled to do as per their own ToS is ridiculous.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Sep 27, 2003
9212 posts
2086 upvotes
Newmarket
OP, why not start a general thread that discusses your concerns? CCTS would not be the proper approach at this point as it is outside of their mandate. I don't think any of the mods / admins would have an issue with that.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
May 8, 2009
6480 posts
2732 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
WorldIRC wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 10:36 am
OP, why not start a general thread that discusses your concerns? CCTS would not be the proper approach at this point as it is outside of their mandate. I don't think any of the mods / admins would have an issue with that.
+1

My point exactly.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
14596 posts
5310 upvotes
Oakville
will888 wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 9:01 am
My wallet has suffered material impact even with the price increase withdrawn. I went from having a nearly free cell line to having to pay whether I stay with Public Mobile or leave to Koodo.
Yeah, I don't think you're going to get very far with that line of argument either. PM didn't raise your rates, Koodo simply offered a fantastic deal for some of your referrals to leave. Would you have sued Rogers if they offered a $40/4GB promo to poach PM customers?
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Sep 27, 2003
9212 posts
2086 upvotes
Newmarket
wearysky wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 3:16 pm
Yeah, I don't think you're going to get very far with that line of argument either. PM didn't raise your rates, Koodo simply offered a fantastic deal for some of your referrals to leave. Would you have sued Rogers if they offered a $40/4GB promo to poach PM customers?
Thank you for your insight. As this topic is within the C&S section, I'd like it to not venture too far away from the OP in which we were asked why the thread was locked.

An answer was provided to the OP in this regard.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
14596 posts
5310 upvotes
Oakville
WorldIRC wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 3:22 pm
Thank you for your insight. As this topic is within the C&S section, I'd like it to not venture too far away from the OP in which we were asked why the thread was locked.

An answer was provided to the OP in this regard.
Ahh - I didn't notice it had been moved (I came to it via the Cell Phones section RSS feed ;))
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient