Food & Drink

why coat chicken with flour before pan frying ?

• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2010 10:01 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2007
1157 posts
15 upvotes

why coat chicken with flour before pan frying ?

hi,

why coat chicken with flour before pan prying for example to make "teriyaki chicken" ? what's the purpose of the flour? if i skip the flour-ing part, do i really miss out?

1. add breading-like texture to the meat
2. prevent the chicken from burning
3. prevent sticking of the chicken to the pan
4. other

who know's the leading authority on this ? is it any of the above or a combination of the above.

thanks in advance!
5 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
2524 posts
59 upvotes
I found that it soaks up more of the sauce, like General Tsao's chicken.
Jul 18, 2006
43 posts
flour is also smothered on fish and other meats to prevent or minimize oil splattering when frying.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
22668 posts
868 upvotes
Markham, ON
dansoo wrote:
May 26th, 2010 1:44 pm
flour is also smothered on fish and other meats to prevent or minimize oil splattering when frying.
+1

the starch (corn, etc) will soak up the excess water and also allows the marinate to adhere to the meat
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2009
4984 posts
524 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
The flour helps seal the skin from the flesh. It combines with the fat and moisture in the skin to form a pliable, but imperfect seal around the meat.
The chicken part is then cooked by the action of hot oil on it. As the temperature quickly rises, moisture is forced out of the flesh (bubbles) and the skin thickens to a desirable crustiness, helped by the flour proteins.

Pan fried chicken is quite easy if you can control the oil temp. to 325-365 F, just as it is easy for the accompanying French fries.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1943 posts
19 upvotes
jayt90 wrote:
May 26th, 2010 7:53 pm
The flour helps seal the skin from the flesh. It combines with the fat and moisture in the skin to form a pliable, but imperfect seal around the meat.
The chicken part is then cooked by the action of hot oil on it. As the temperature quickly rises, moisture is forced out of the flesh (bubbles) and the skin thickens to a desirable crustiness, helped by the flour proteins.

Pan fried chicken is quite easy if you can control the oil temp. to 325-365 F, just as it is easy for the accompanying French fries.

+1 And maybe twice a year, I'll make southern fried chicken this way. It is sooo good!
× < >