Personal Finance

Why is cp24 (Toronto) showing infomercials that poses as news show?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2013 4:07 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 14, 2013
2 posts

Why is cp24 (Toronto) showing infomercials that poses as news show?

So i'm trying to watch CP24 at midnight on a Sunday (technically).
Instead of seeing news on the storm, traffic conditions, etc. I see a "this program is not endorsed by CP24" infomercial on montages sponsored by a real estate agent.
Funny thing is, it has the format of a real news broadcast - "live" callers and all - also - it's hosted by a well known CityTV former news host lady.

Is that what CP24 has lowered itself to?
how did this happen?
Is Bell really hurting this bad that they need to pretend and try to fool people into thinking its infomercials is real news?
3 replies
Feb 28, 2013
945 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
You must not watch a lot of TV in the middle of the night but this is a very common type of infomercial. There's one that's a good laugh. I think it's called Free Money.

It's a way to get stupid people who think they're smart involved. This is opposed to simply stupid people.
[OP]
Dec 14, 2013
2 posts
Beans1234 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2013 2:08 am
You must not watch a lot of TV in the middle of the night but this is a very common type of infomercial. There's one that's a good laugh. I think it's called Free Money.

It's a way to get stupid people who think they're smart involved. This is opposed to simply stupid people.
yes I understand there are infomercials at night catering to the less intelligent.
My concern is that this is a an advertised 24/7 news channel that is advertising paid services and masquerading it as real news.

even Fox News doesn't go this far.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1195 posts
93 upvotes
People still subscribe to cable/satellite TV?