• Feb 17th, 2013 9:06 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 26, 2012
940 posts
25 upvotes

Why is Credit Score Important

If your not planning to take out a loan, why is it important?
and what are the benefits of using a credit card over paying with cash or debit
35 replies
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
43368 posts
3061 upvotes
Toronto
That's the thing, you plan not to loan money but you never know when you will need a loan, ish happens.
Credit card provides rewards whether it be points or cashback. You also get extended warranty when buying with your credit card, less trouble having to carry cash/change every where also.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
1082 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
If in the future you apply for a car loan or a mortgage your credit score will determine the interest rate. As mentioned above some cards have benefits. If you are disciplined and pay them off fully each month you can use them to your advantage.
Doug Boswell
intelliMortgage Inc. Brokerage #12326
FSCO #MO09002332
Aug 26, 2008
460 posts
35 upvotes
Vancouver
taeyang987 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2013 4:54 am
Nevermind just loans or the potential to get mortgages/future loans... There are companies out there willing to give you FREE money and rewards based on your credit score. That is a tangible and immediate benefit.
I buy: US Starter Shares with DRIPs
I sell: Bitcoin
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2640 upvotes
Vancouver
If you apply for a job where you have financial responsibility, the employer may consider your credit rating. And if you ever apply for a government security clearance, they will look at your credit history.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2189 posts
426 upvotes
A small number of employers are beginning to use credit scores and other things (suitability of online social network information, and the like) to make determinations for offers of employment. The use of credit scores as a determinat factor in offering employment may be on the rise in Canada
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Jul 5, 2004
21643 posts
1722 upvotes
JamesA1 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2013 10:20 am
If you apply for a job where you have financial responsibility, one of the things the employer may look at is your credit rating. And if you ever apply for a government security clearance, one of the things they will look at is your credit rating.
The latter isn't true. Credit checks aren't always necessary to get government security clearance. I have security clearance and have never went through a credit check
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20372 posts
1594 upvotes
Shaner wrote:
Feb 10th, 2013 10:24 am
The latter isn't true. Credit checks aren't always necessary to get government security clearance. I have security clearance and have never went through a credit check
Jobs related to finance control usually will. For example, select CRA employees will require a credit check to qualify for RS clearance.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20372 posts
1594 upvotes
taeyang987 wrote:
Off the top of my head, obtaining loans (mortgage, car, cash, business, credit cards), rental/leases of property, employment. While not as pervasive as credit scores in the US, they play an important role in many aspects of life.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2640 upvotes
Vancouver
Shaner wrote:
Credit checks aren't always necessary to get government security clearance. I have security clearance and have never went through a credit check
It depends on what type and level of security clearance you are applying for, and you may not be aware of what they have looked at - the exact details of what they check is kept confidential.
Jul 5, 2004
21643 posts
1722 upvotes
JamesA1 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2013 12:09 pm
It depends on what type and level of security clearance you are applying for, and you may not be aware of what they have looked at - the exact details of what they check is kept confidential.
I agree with this. Depending on what you're applying for, a credit check may occur, but just getting government security clearance doesn't always require a credit check. I do know my credit wasn't checked nor is it checked for anyone that has the security clearance that I do
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13016 posts
1121 upvotes
fieldhousehandyman wrote:
A small number of employers are beginning to use credit scores and other things (suitability of online social network information, and the like) to make determinations for offers of employment. The use of credit scores as a determinat factor in offering employment may be on the rise in Canada
Right, but as Canadians, we should not be complicit while this happens. It's important that we send a strong message to opportunistic employers; that we will draw a legal line in the sand about what is fair game and what constitutes discrimination in this country. Myself and many others are of the strong opinion that my ability to pay my Rogers bill in the past, should not affect the opportunity to pay my Rogers bill in the future.
Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
2232 posts
336 upvotes
Quebec
taeyang987 wrote:
when you apply for a rent, they use credit score for almost everything now to check what kind of responsible or irresponsible personne you are.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
4104 posts
621 upvotes
Credit score is important for getting loans: namely for mortgage or for a car. But credit score is just a number. It's important to form a consistent habit of good financial management. My advice is NOT to obsess over your credit score. If you focus your energy on being financially responsible, a good credit score will follow naturally. DO NOT think getting a good credit score itself is a good indicator of your financial savvy.

For example, don't do silly things like increasing your credit limit or spending a lot just to improve your credit score.
Oct 17, 2012
69 posts
HyperTech wrote:
Feb 10th, 2013 1:10 pm
when you apply for a rent, they use credit score for almost everything now to check what kind of responsible or irresponsible personne you are.
Is it not the credit report that the landlords check after you sign the consent form? How do they get access to your credit score?

Like the post directly above, credit score is just a number if you don't want to get a loan (although how you can definitely guarantee that you won't need one is a little questionable). Credit report is a history of your liabilities and frequently seen as a marker to your responsibility.
× < >