Art and Photography

Locked: Why Did Android DSLR/Mirrorless Cameras Not Become Mainstream?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2019 2:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1873 upvotes
Cochrane, AB

Why Did Android DSLR/Mirrorless Cameras Not Become Mainstream?

So I see that Samsung made the NX2000 a few years back which ran Android in a mirrorless camera body with interchangeable lenses. But it was discontinued. So why did this product category not become mainstream? Imagine having the power of Google's Pixel camera app with the larger sensor of a mirrorless and "real" bokeh. Or imagine the power of Huawei's far superior hand held Night Mode in a mirrorless body. It seems like this is what Canon, Nikon, and Sony should be making instead of hohum mirrorless cameras with no advanced algorithms and no cellular or apps (Sony's camera app store is a sorry excuse for an app store with only 20 "apps") .
Share:
25 replies
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1148 posts
422 upvotes
I hope it's a genuine question or I nominate you the biggest troll of 2018 of this sub forum.

I can see how good it may sounds on paper, but with Android (or IOS), a lot of things come into play, like security (you'll spend extra time before every usage), apps compatibility like a lot of apps are vertical only while a camera is horizontal, etc. Smartphone tech is growing exponentially while camera's tech is going slowly but steady. So before the camera' sensor become obsolete, the OS and CPU will be twice or thrice earlier. Also, your battery life will get hit bad.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4150 posts
519 upvotes
already covered in your 7 page troll thread

tl;dr smartphones have bleeding edge processors so can leverage AI
dslr and even mirrorless cameras have dinosaur/super weak ones
you can have the best software/algo but it's meaningless without brute processing power

samsung certainly had the R&D and manufacturing prowess to establish a system that can outdo Canikony...but why bother? little to no money to be made in a crowded and shrinking market when they're already experts in the mobile space
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7620 posts
1506 upvotes
Simple... Camera people didn’t trust Cell Phone makers to make good cameras and there didn’t buy.

Plus the boot up time on those were slow unless you never turn the camera off.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Nov 12, 2012
619 posts
277 upvotes
Calgary
Advanced algorithms will only get you so far
Nov 4, 2016
850 posts
505 upvotes
Because Android systems often takes 10+ seconds to boot up. And after 10 second OOPS you already missed your shot.

Now if in the future Google is willing to make a DSLR version of Android, that boots up in less than a second, and Google is willing to update it, we might be talking.
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
4524 posts
1401 upvotes
Debtario
Can't speak for the market, but when I handled one it was easy to see the idea sounded better than it actually was. The hardware may have been good, but Android is not an OS designed for cameras. It reminded me of the LG smart fridges circa 2000, adding an OS to an appliance doesn't make it a better appliance.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
17580 posts
2873 upvotes
Toronto
There is no chance in hell I'm trusting Android's data harvesting with any of the things I use my DSLR to shoot.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4150 posts
519 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 2:06 pm
There is no chance in hell I'm trusting Android's data harvesting with any of the things I use my DSLR to shoot.
are you taking 60-megapixel images of your hemorrhoids?

i hope you're not using insta or whatsapp on another OS because that'd be pretty ironic
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
17580 posts
2873 upvotes
Toronto
twitchyzero wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 2:30 pm
are you taking 60-megapixel images of your hemorrhoids?

i hope you're not using insta or whatsapp on another OS because that'd be pretty ironic
I'm not. I don't use any social media, or have a facebook account.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1873 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
CCHIPSS wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 1:26 pm
Because Android systems often takes 10+ seconds to boot up. And after 10 second OOPS you already missed your shot.

Now if in the future Google is willing to make a DSLR version of Android, that boots up in less than a second, and Google is willing to update it, we might be talking.
Do you also shutdown your phone every time you put it on your pocket and start it back up and wait a minute every time to check RFD? No one shuts down, everyone puts their phone in standby and the resume instant. Same thing can be done for an Android mirrorless camera.
Nov 4, 2016
850 posts
505 upvotes
JoeStale wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 2:43 pm
Do you also shutdown your phone every time you put it on your pocket and start it back up and wait a minute every time to check RFD? No one shuts down, everyone puts their phone in standby and the resume instant. Same thing can be done for an Android mirrorless camera.
OMG standby mode? What an amazing idea! No camera manufacturer has thought of this before!!! 🤣

DSLRs drains a lot of power. It cannot afford to go on standby. That's why crazy things like battery grips were invented.

How many batteries do you plan to take with you on an outdoor 14 hour wedding with no power source. And meanwhile your Android OS keeps on draining power too. And the Android OS often lags and not responsive. And the few seconds you need to wait while it lags, OOPS you just missed another shot.

Like I said if Google decide to make a DSLR edition of Android, focus on power saving, boot up time and smooth operation, it is feasible. But it doesn't exist yet.
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1873 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
CCHIPSS wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 2:50 pm
OMG standby mode? What an amazing idea! No camera manufacturer has thought of this before!!! 🤣

DSLRs drains a lot of power. It cannot afford to go on standby. That's why crazy things like battery grips were invented.

How many batteries do you plan to take with you on an outdoor 14 hour wedding with no power source. And meanwhile your Android OS keeps on draining power too. And the Android OS often lags and not responsive. And the few seconds you need to wait while it lags, OOPS you just missed another shot.

Like I said if Google decide to make a DSLR edition of Android, focus on power saving, boot up time and smooth operation, it is feasible. But it doesn't exist yet.
Android devices don't use much power at all on standby. You can easily get over 2 weeks of standby on an Android phone. It is the screen that uses most of the power on smartphone when you turn it on.

The moment Google or Apple decides to make a mirrorless-smartphone hybrid with their backing is the moment Canon and Sony's camera divisions will go bankrupt.

And funny you talk about lag. The pinch to zoom on the Canon M100 is so laggy, it's like I'm using a $50 Android phone from 8 years ago. Modern day smartphones are way faster than any DSLR/mirrorless.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1117 posts
745 upvotes
Montreal
JoeStale wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 4:41 pm

The moment Google or Apple decides to make a mirrorless-smartphone hybrid with their backing is the moment Canon and Sony's camera divisions will go bankrupt.
Nope
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
3243 posts
1101 upvotes
aerok wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 10:30 pm
Nope
As always, he's looking at it from a consumer perspective. I'm a hobbyist, but even I know enough to realize that Canon and Sony do not make their money in the market segment he's talking about. There's a reason why the successors to the A6000, OMD EM-10 and others haven't seen substantial changes.