Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes

Why did my dog develop this habit? She splits her legs apart when laying down

Her legs moved on their own and sometimes her tail will be wagging :lol:

I find this really gross because she's mushing per pee all over the floor and furniture

How the heck did the dog learn to do this?

20 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
3740 posts
3962 upvotes
Toronto
They all do that. It just natural for them. They're dogs, stop implying human traits on them there is nothing gross about it.
Apr 22, 2015
388 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto, ON
My dog did this all the time, I imagine it's just a comfy way for them to lay down
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2014
2170 posts
341 upvotes
Mississauga
Male dogs do it to keep their pencil cool during summers
Oh sada kehra bapu karda black nee, Jehra tere shahir (Toronto), Le lawan flat nee
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
MehtabS wrote: Male dogs do it to keep their pencil cool during summers
Oh so she's doing it because the home is too warm?

Interesting
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2541 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto
AgentRoyal wrote: My dog did this all the time, I imagine it's just a comfy way for them to lay down
Yep! It's comfortable because that's the natural movement of the hips for them ...

It's also the body language of a very comfortable and content dog :)
Deal Guru
Jul 5, 2001
10104 posts
12725 upvotes
Toronto
george__ wrote: Her legs moved on their own and sometimes her tail will be wagging :lol:

I find this really gross because she's mushing per pee all over the floor and furniture

How the heck did the dog learn to do this?
I hope you don't let your dog kiss you because guess where that tongue's been!
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2979 posts
263 upvotes
Burlington
Yep my lab does it all the time, looks super funny but she's comfy so I'm happy.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1209 posts
471 upvotes
Toronto
I thought that was the ways dogs can quickly cool down their body temp in the summer. It has the least amount of fur on the body and maximizes skin surface area on the cool ground.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
some1not wrote: They all do that. It just natural for them. They're dogs, stop implying human traits on them there is nothing gross about it.
Agreed. Over the years we have had many dogs and each and every one of them did it. As a matter of fact our current dog is at my feet in that exact position. They love to stretch out. Doesn't matter if the dog is a male or a female.

I could be wrong, but George (OP) did you not used to have a pup that passed away last year? If so, I would be very surprised if he/she did not do same.
Jan 14, 2010
701 posts
249 upvotes
Central Ontario
I thought that pose signified healthy hips?
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
Blanche123 wrote: Agreed. Over the years we have had many dogs and each and every one of them did it. As a matter of fact our current dog is at my feet in that exact position. They love to stretch out. Doesn't matter if the dog is a male or a female.

I could be wrong, but George (OP) did you not used to have a pup that passed away last year? If so, I would be very surprised if he/she did not do same.
I'm too young to remember much about how the previous dog got trained. This is my "first" true dog
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1682 posts
1578 upvotes
Etobicoke
"mushing per pee all over the floor" ....what?...get over it
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
xxxray wrote: "mushing per pee all over the floor" ....what?...get over it
I bought her some doggie diapers...
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
4253 posts
1078 upvotes
this is normal...my frenchie has always layed down like that. Mush what pee? I usually wipe any poo/pee residue off of him when we get back from a walk anyways
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
nx6288 wrote: this is normal...my frenchie has always layed down like that. Mush what pee? I usually wipe any poo/pee residue off of him when we get back from a walk anyways
She going through her first heat cycle, it looks so painful :(
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3518 posts
689 upvotes
Allenford
george__ wrote: She going through her first heat cycle, it looks so painful :(
Get her fixed.

lso she will still do this after being fixed but get her fixed.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)