• Nov 20th, 2017 4:25 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3314 posts
708 upvotes
Mississauga

Why did Panda Express Fail in Canada?

The food is fantastic and great value in the States. I haven't gone to the one in Canada but I am guessing it is failing because of low quantity and quality. I hardly see anyone going to Panda Express here.
signature removed for rule violation. no referrals allowed.
38 replies
Apr 8, 2006
705 posts
143 upvotes
I don't even see alot of them around probably why you never hear about it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7968 posts
2812 upvotes
Toronto
Too many competition here.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14181 posts
1533 upvotes
Toronto
Literally the only location I know of is tucked into a barely visible spot in the Stockyards plaza that formed around Target. That's a terrible location, and I have no reason to go to that area now that Target is gone.

I didn't even know they were in Canada before I saw that one, and I'm guessing most people still don't know.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7374 posts
922 upvotes
Toronto
I dunno, it's kinda western-ppl Chinese food, e.g. really rich w/ sauces, kungpow chicken, general tso etc etc etc. I don't see any differentiation vs those other 'Chinese food' chains one can find in the mall foodcourts.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2326 posts
1232 upvotes
Probably has to do with how Toronto and Vancouver are already chock full of authentic Chinese restaurants due to the size of the Asian populations there.

Americans don't know good Chinese food and it really shows when you visit a Chinese restaurant in the US, even in a huge city like NYC.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3314 posts
708 upvotes
Mississauga
I don't care what people say but the food at Panda Express in the States tastes amazing lol. There is a reason why there are lineups there.
Dec 12, 2010
72 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
I went to one in Canada and my meal was like $15 or $16 if I remember correctly. Could of went to a local place and got something similar for half that.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3314 posts
708 upvotes
Mississauga
Kab wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 3:27 pm
I went to one in Canada and my meal was like $15 or $16 if I remember correctly. Could of went to a local place and got something similar for half that.
In US it's $9 USD for 3 HUGE meat portions.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15813 posts
4706 upvotes
Ottawa
It's quite pricey for the subpar quality and taste.
Jun 12, 2017
94 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
superfresh89 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 3:14 pm
Probably has to do with how Toronto and Vancouver are already chock full of authentic Chinese restaurants due to the size of the Asian populations there.

Americans don't know good Chinese food and it really shows when you visit a Chinese restaurant in the US, even in a huge city like NYC.
This is so true for the GTA. So many good authentic Chinese places for everybody.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
6085 posts
904 upvotes
Mississauga
Is Panda Express still at Heartland? I went to it once or twice, the servings were really small and they charge alot.

Remember when PF Chang tried to come into Toronto? They tried to present themselves as an upscale fine dining establishment (when in US, it was just a regular casual place), serving awful 'chinese' food. Their prices were ridiculous, we took one look at the menu and quickly left. They didn't last long.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.