Food & Drink

Why did Panda Express Fail in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2017 11:50 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4083 posts
1118 upvotes
I find their food tastes pretty good, although a bit bland. But definitely too expensive for what it is.
Jul 26, 2015
374 posts
194 upvotes
Toronto
Isn't Manchu Wok basically the same thing? Chinese fast food.

But I agree, there's too much competition here lmao
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3313 posts
704 upvotes
Mississauga
meepsheep wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 1:18 am
Isn't Manchu Wok basically the same thing? Chinese fast food.

But I agree, there's too much competition here lmao
There is more competition in the States though. It could however be because our population is so small we can't support all these businesses.
signature removed for rule violation. no referrals allowed.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7314 posts
481 upvotes
When it comes to these types of places, I expect to pay pretty cheap prices for decent quality of food even though it's crap food. So if the prices are sky high, forget about it. I'd spend the equivalent on better quality food that is healthier.

When I saw quality I mean ingredients. I still hope these establishments serve fresh food that is crispy if fried etc.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
4013 posts
312 upvotes
GTA has tons of very good-excellent Chinese restaurants at prices equal or less than Panda Express. In many US cities, they don't have many very good-excellent Chinese restaurants, so Panda Express can thrive, especially as Panda Express has been around a long time in the US (back when US had even less "good" Chinese restaurants). If Panda Express opened in GTA 35 yrs ago, they may've had a chance.
Feb 5, 2007
241 posts
18 upvotes
Mississauga
It's because you can get better tasting for the same if not lower price. I never had it in Canada but had it once in States. Not bad. But given GTA has so much Chinese competition that even Chinese restaurants die out quickly I don't expect it to do well especially there are other names like Manchuwok etc around.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1446 posts
432 upvotes
I remember reading Panda Express was founded by a Chinese chef. It was fairly expensive in the US. Dishes didn't seem that inspiring on the menu but I never did go into the restaurant.
Jul 26, 2015
374 posts
194 upvotes
Toronto
ar2020 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 9:22 am
There is more competition in the States though. It could however be because our population is so small we can't support all these businesses.
I've been to NYC and there's barely any Chinese food that compares to Toronto. We have like four different "Asian food" spots in Toronto alone, it's crazy. And what about population? There's lots of people here too o.o
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15756 posts
4661 upvotes
Ottawa
meepsheep wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 9:46 pm
I've been to NYC and there's barely any Chinese food that compares to Toronto. We have like four different "Asian food" spots in Toronto alone, it's crazy. And what about population? There's lots of people here too o.o
Hands down, "authentic" Chinese food in Toronto is the best in NA.
Nov 29, 2013
111 posts
38 upvotes
We often go to Panda Express in California. Everything on their menu is laced with sugar. I have traveled extensively in the US and not even New York or San Francisco can compare to Toronto or Vancouver when it comes to Chinese food. We have the best here.

Oddly though, the best Thai and Korean food I've ever had was in Los Angeles.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2308 posts
1224 upvotes
ar2020 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 9:22 am
There may be more people and more restaurants in the US, but they basically have zero competition in the Chinese restaurant space.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13191 posts
666 upvotes
ar2020 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 3:21 pm
I don't care what people say but the food at Panda Express in the States tastes amazing lol. There is a reason why there are lineups there.
I do go to a few in various airports in the US. One of the reasons is that there is never any line compared to the McDonald's, any given TexMex chain etc......
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
2214 posts
209 upvotes
As someone that needed to live on Panda Express for a years while I lived in the U.S., it's because the people in the U.S. generally eat at Chinese takeout type restaurants, whereas in the GTA and other parts of Canada, there is much better options for Asian food. Even most Chinese takeout restaurants in America are horrible. Why would anyone eat Panda Express when you could eat Hakka for example? Panda Express is also inferior in almost everyway to Manchu Wok and most of the Chinese places in mall food courts.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3935 posts
522 upvotes
Aurora
Perhaps we could use this criteria as a metric for Panda Express business viability:

Do the Chinese population in the target area grumble about the lack of good/real Chinese food in their area?

- If NO, Panda Express and the like should not set up shop there. Too many Chinese and, thus, too many educated non-Chinese, who already know about good real food.
- If YES, proceed with startup. There are no good Chinese food options in the area and few people who know about real Chinese food.