Shopping Discussion

Why did they end up selling those green boxes at superstore?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2020 8:40 pm
[OP]
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
5198 posts
1760 upvotes

Why did they end up selling those green boxes at superstore?

They used to promote those I think. Buy $250 and they give you a free one and you can also buy it for $10 but now I don't see them anymore. What are people moving to now that they start charing for bags? Bring your own reusable ones?
41 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
6949 posts
7339 upvotes
Vancouver
vivibaby wrote: They used to promote those I think. Buy $250 and they give you a free one and you can also buy it for $10 but now I don't see them anymore. What are people moving to now that they start charing for bags? Bring your own reusable ones?
Costco cardboard boxes. I keep a couple in the trunk of the car. I use them for grocery shopping everywhere, not just at Costco. Much faster and easier than packing bags.
Dec 18, 2017
633 posts
303 upvotes
London, On
We bought 7 or 8 of the black cloth bags that Loblaws used to sell years ago, and still use those. We also had some black plastic boxes that Food Basics sold, but they ended up just being something we left junk in the garage in lol
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11754 posts
9015 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
We’ve done it all over the years...

* 5 cents for Plastic Bags
* $ x for Cloth / Canvas Bags
* $ 10 for Supermarket Bins
* And even more $$ for the collapsible crates that Costco and other places sell (similar to the milk crates many of us grew up with ... “picked up” in our younger days to store our LP Collection Smiling Face With Sunglasses )

Far and away the best experiences have been with Bins / Boxes / Crates vs Bags.

Regular one time use plastic grocery bags ... take over your house ... and the planet.

Cloth & a Canvas Bags have their own issues ... namely they wear out / fall apart fairly quickly. And remembering to clean / launder them regularly becomes just one more stupid chore. **

The Grocery Store Bins have been great ... so much so that like many other Shoppers we found we bought some for other tasks around the house. If there was a downside, it was they weren’t collapsible... so not the easiest to store between Grocery trips.

The foldable / collapsible crates are the best of everything. They come in different sizes, they are durable, they fold down for storage ... and they are easy to clean ... just wipe them down or spray them off with a Antibacterial Wipe.

And yes, they gets lot of use ... both at home & for shopping. Perfect for hauling stuff around or corralling odds & ends.

** Interesting fact, its been stated after society switched from disposable one use plastic bags to cloth / canvas to transport groceries around ... people never thought much about needing to keep these clean. So a lot of these bags end up contaminated with raw meat juices ... that then are a breeding ground for bacteria ... that then gets passed on the next time you stuff the bag full of newly bought groceries ... like fresh veggies etc. (One more reason to wash your veggies folks). If you use these reusable bags, they need to be cleaned / laundered regularly ... preferably between trips. Or else designate particular bags for meats ... and make sure they get washed often (and / or are in a clean & soiled rotation).

Like I said, after we read this ... SO and I were grossed out. And decided that was too much hassle for us (remembering to launder every week) ... so we just went out and bought the bins. Super easy to maintain. Wipe down after use ... takes like a minute of our time.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
6949 posts
7339 upvotes
Vancouver
PointsHubby wrote: Far and away the best experiences have been with Bins / Boxes / Crates vs Bags.
Regular one time use plastic grocery bags ... take over your house ... and the planet.
Excellent points. That's why I love my Costco boxes so much. They're going to end up in the cardboard recycling bin anyway, so why not continue use them for grocery shopping until they fall apart, are tossed in the bin, and are replaced with another set of Costco boxes. No disposable bags to toss, no reusable bags to wear out or wash.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6748 posts
3157 upvotes
Alberta
If you buy these bins from RCSS how do they know that you bought these when you take them back on your next grocery trip? Do they give you stickers or something?
Jan 17, 2013
541 posts
155 upvotes
Bella Coola
PointsHubby wrote: We’ve done it all over the years...

* And even more $$ for the collapsible crates that Costco and other places sell (similar to the milk crates many of us grew up with ... “picked up” in our younger days to store our LP Collection Smiling Face With Sunglasses )

Cloth & a Canvas Bags have their own issues ... namely they wear out / fall apart fairly quickly. And remembering to clean / launder them regularly becomes just one more stupid chore. **

The Grocery Store Bins have been great ... so much so that like many other Shoppers we found we bought some for other tasks around the house. If there was a downside, it was they weren’t collapsible... so not the easiest to store between Grocery trips.

The foldable / collapsible crates are the best of everything. They come in different sizes, they are durable, they fold down for storage ... and they are easy to clean ... just wipe them down or spray them off with a Antibacterial Wipe.

And yes, they gets lot of use ... both at home & for shopping. Perfect for hauling stuff around or corralling odds & ends.

** Interesting fact, its been stated after society switched from disposable one use plastic bags to cloth / canvas to transport groceries around ... people never thought much about needing to keep these clean. So a lot of these bags end up contaminated with raw meat juices ... that then are a breeding ground for bacteria ... that then gets passed on the next time you stuff the bag full of newly bought groceries ... like fresh veggies etc. (One more reason to wash your veggies folks). If you use these reusable bags, they need to be cleaned / laundered regularly ... preferably between trips. Or else designate particular bags for meats ... and make sure they get washed often (and / or are in a clean & soiled rotation).

Like I said, after we read this ... SO and I were grossed out. And decided that was too much hassle for us (remembering to launder every week) ... so we just went out and bought the bins. Super easy to maintain. Wipe down after use ... takes like a minute of our time.
That is why you see people putting the meat items into the clear plastics provided by the store. The issue of contamination is also apparent on the shopping baskets provided by the store. This contamination is largely caused by meat items or any items that is wet. The stores with the dirtiest shopping baskets are Superstore, followed by Walmart. At one time, Walmart offers paper "liners" with advertisement on the liners for use on the basket.

Superstore's dirty shopping baskets are compounded by the basket's handle, unlike other stores' shopping basket handle which are solid plastic, Superstore's shopping basket handle is made of polyester/cloth-like straps that are super dirty and yucky to touch.
Jan 17, 2013
541 posts
155 upvotes
Bella Coola
jackrabbit000 wrote: If you buy these bins from RCSS how do they know that you bought these when you take them back on your next grocery trip? Do they give you stickers or something?
I believe the printed logo/wording on the bins are different and if I recall, the customer bins have no straps while the store bins have straps on them.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2367 posts
1069 upvotes
B.C.
vivibaby wrote: They used to promote those I think. Buy $250 and they give you a free one and you can also buy it for $10 but now I don't see them anymore. What are people moving to now that they start charing for bags? Bring your own reusable ones?
jackrabbit000 wrote: If you buy these bins from RCSS how do they know that you bought these when you take them back on your next grocery trip? Do they give you stickers or something?
They give you a sticker.

Was Ottawa way ahead of the curve on these? I remember Loblaws coming out with the bins in the late 90's. I swear there was some kind of other bonus like they loaded them in to your car or something if you owned the bins.
[OP]
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
5198 posts
1760 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: We’ve done it all over the years...

Supermarkets are disgusting and never wipe down their bins.

I bought the clevercrates from costco but they always collapse on me. The sides get pushed in if I carry them with one hand and the bottom of one kept falling off. Reviews seem to be good for them so I don't know why I'm having problems.
[OP]
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
5198 posts
1760 upvotes
The grocery ones have black straps.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11754 posts
9015 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Yes they have a sticker on them
That represent they were paid for ... and not just taken off the shelf in store

Not 100% sure WHY the PC+ Loblaws Group are discontinuing their current Green & Purple Grocery Bins
(As they appear to have been quite successful)
But thinking it might have to do with their 2020 Plans to roll out a new Reuseable Containers Program Launch
https://www.thestar.com/business/2019/0 ... trial.html

Perhaps everything will be similar in look / marketing etc
Jun 5, 2016
517 posts
572 upvotes
stack21 wrote: I believe the printed logo/wording on the bins are different and if I recall, the customer bins have no straps while the store bins have straps on them.
The bins you buy are green (superstore) or yellow (no frills). The in store bins are grey.
Jan 17, 2013
541 posts
155 upvotes
Bella Coola
fremmy wrote: The bins you buy are green (superstore) or yellow (no frills). The in store bins are grey.
That's it. Bins you buy are green for Superstore and store bins are grey. I don't think I see any straps on the green bins.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11754 posts
9015 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
stack21 wrote: That is why you see people putting the meat items into the clear plastics provided by the store. The issue of contamination is also apparent on the shopping baskets provided by the store. This contamination is largely caused by meat items or any items that is wet. The stores with the dirtiest shopping baskets are Superstore, followed by Walmart. At one time, Walmart offers paper "liners" with advertisement on the liners for use on the basket.

Superstore's dirty shopping baskets are compounded by the basket's handle, unlike other stores' shopping basket handle which are solid plastic, Superstore's shopping basket handle is made of polyester/cloth-like straps that are super dirty and yucky to touch.
True enough ...

But the report I read / saw
Said it didn’t matter
In many cases “the ooze” was still an issue in the majority of folks Reusable Grocery Bags

I agree it’s also a problem when it comes carts in the store
Some of the most disgusting thing we all touch ... if we really think about it

Prob why more & more people are wiping down at least the handrail

I also see a lot of people now shopping with a method where their selected groceries go into their own bins
(Like the PC+ Loblaws Group GREEN Bins = https://www.realcanadiansuperstore.ca/H ... 1175631_EA
As they shop ... possibly because they KNOW at least their own stuff is cleaner than the cart )