• Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2010 10:10 pm
Jan 10, 2009
6 posts
9 upvotes
Niagara Falls

Why did you Choose Accounting?

Hello,

I am a University student currently in the CA designation, and I am just wondering from professionals or students in training why they decided to become an accountant?

Thanks.

Jesse
61 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
12578 posts
903 upvotes
Toronto
I'm good at it, it's secure, and I don't mind doing it one way or the other, so it's the perfect job. If I had chosen to take a job in the field of something I do as a hobby I'd probably end up hating it by now due to it being work.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2008
2138 posts
185 upvotes
When I was a junior accountant in a small NPO, I realized that accounting is not just about boring numbers - it's also about one's ability to problem solve, communicate, and I was able to be part of their operations team to implement changes and policies. Maybe this was only possible due to the small size of the company - but nonetheless, when you look at the "big picture", accounting is an interesting field!
Banned
Feb 25, 2010
186 posts
Toronto
I think the CGA designation gives you exposure to different businesses rather than just working in public accounting before qualification but at the same time the opportunity to be granted a public accounting licence as long as enough audit hours have been accumulated.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5430 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto
I hope no one chose it for the money, because it's a very boring profession. The promises made by your associations are empty.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
3967 posts
585 upvotes
I chose it because I like working with money. The knowledge is relatively practical. What you learn in accounting can help you build better financial senses, better manage your taxes, and will certainly help if you decide to start a business.

People kept telling me it's a stable field with good job security. Now that I'm working, I'd think this statement is relatively true. You might not roll in mega bucks, but every company needs accounting people. Though computers are taking over a lot of the menial tasks in the past century, you'll always need someone to do budgeting, analysis, and ensuring financial controls are in place.

It's certainly not an exciting field. But most jobs can get boring anyways. It's usually your coworkers that make the difference between a happy job and a terrible job.
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2008
1394 posts
120 upvotes
Vancouver
I didn't choose accounting, it chose me.
Aug 10, 2009
158 posts
TorontoAccountant wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2010 8:20 pm
I think the CGA designation gives you exposure to different businesses rather than just working in public accounting before qualification but at the same time the opportunity to be granted a public accounting licence as long as enough audit hours have been accumulated.
Exposure to different businesses is not exclusive to CGA. I would say the average CA probably get exposed to more organization types and industries than the average CGA. I've worked with public, private, government, crown corps, NPOs, charities in a large range of industries and that was all in 2 years of being an auditor (now in tax focusing on technology firms...but still not limited to that industry)
Banned
Feb 25, 2010
186 posts
Toronto
Douces wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2010 12:32 pm
Exposure to different businesses is not exclusive to CGA. I would say the average CA probably get exposed to more organization types and industries than the average CGA. I've worked with public, private, government, crown corps, NPOs, charities in a large range of industries and that was all in 2 years of being an auditor (now in tax focusing on technology firms...but still not limited to that industry)
You might have misunderstood. The exposure to different industries working as an auditor is different from the exposure actually working in the different industries. Most CA students spend the first 2 or 3 or 4 years in a public accounting firm. But CGA students are not required to spend that much time in a public accounting firm. Even those interested in a public accounting licence, they just need to accumulate enough audit hours. The rest of experience requirement can be gained in different industries
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7626 posts
161 upvotes
Montreal
BananaHunter wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2010 10:11 pm
The knowledge is relatively practical.

People kept telling me it's a stable field with good job security. Now that I'm working, I'd think this statement is relatively true.
this for me. i actually like accounting and i need a rather stable and somewhat boring job to counterbalance my rather explosive/crazy personality. if i didn't, i'd probably burn out by now :lol:
have you seen boxing day? if you have any infos that can help us locate him, please contact us @ 1‒800‒867‒5309

(V)^,,,,^(V) woop woop woop woop woop
flashy_mcflash wrote:
Mar 19th, 2012 3:17 pm
haha. Though seriously, what a ridiculous year for CG to be trendy. If there was one year NOT to spend $600 on a coat, it was this winter.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
12868 posts
1103 upvotes
Funny you mention this.. I actually didn't choose accounting at all.
Aug 10, 2009
158 posts
TorontoAccountant wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2010 12:58 pm
You might have misunderstood. The exposure to different industries working as an auditor is different from the exposure actually working in the different industries. Most CA students spend the first 2 or 3 or 4 years in a public accounting firm. But CGA students are not required to spend that much time in a public accounting firm. Even those interested in a public accounting licence, they just need to accumulate enough audit hours. The rest of experience requirement can be gained in different industries
yeah, but how many CGA students are jumping around job to job in different industries in their first 3 years? One wouldn't be gaining that much experience from doing that. I'm going to guess that CGA students, for the most part, stick to one job in their first three years of experience? It wouldn't exactly look very good on a resume to jump to 5 different jobs the first couple years after school.
Banned
Feb 25, 2010
186 posts
Toronto
Douces wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2010 2:15 pm
yeah, but how many CGA students are jumping around job to job in different industries in their first 3 years? One wouldn't be gaining that much experience from doing that. I'm going to guess that CGA students, for the most part, stick to one job in their first three years of experience? It wouldn't exactly look very good on a resume to jump to 5 different jobs the first couple years after school.
Even one out of 1,000 CGA students move to a different job after 2 years would mean more exposure because CA students must stay in a public accounting firm which means the average is always 1 industry for CA students. The average for CGA students could be 1.00000001 industries.
Sep 2, 2007
155 posts
1 upvote
i've fallen into it after running out of options in other things and having a business degree. just going through monster and workopolis there are so many more jobs for people with accounting designations than anything else.
Banned
Feb 25, 2010
186 posts
Toronto
Go for CMA. 2 years and 7 months and you are a professional accountant....no questions asked.
× < >