Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 28, 2002
966 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto

Why didn't my banana bread rise??

I'm a little confused. I just made some banana bread and it didn't rise at all. I use the following ingredients.

1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups pastry flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup mashed banana
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Any idea why this wouldn't have risen? It's supposed to nearly double in size. I checked the date on the baking powder and it's good until 2007 (I just opened it today),

Oh well ... Maybe I'll try another loaf this evening.
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
5845 posts
431 upvotes
Temperature in an oven can cause many problems in baking even if you follow the recipe to a T.

Lots of ovens like mine are not calibrated properly so sometimes the 100 degrees setting on an oven may not necesarily be 100 degrees but less in most casees.

Not sure how to calibrate it apart from testig it first by stickng a thermometer in and if it's off adjust it until you get waht setting on your oven will be equivalent to the recipe recommendation or call a professional.

this is just one thought on what can go wrong with baking and if temperature is not the problem then something else might be.

Not enough mixing to release the gluten, too much mixing and gluten release.

The one egg used may have been too small.

Best is to try another using the same recipe and see how it comes out then you can start investigating stuff and eliminating them one by one until maybe you may even end up concluding that he recipe proportions are at fault and it is just not a fullproof recipe and when you try another recipe, this may proven when you see better results with the new recipe etc.

Try a different brand baking powder and baking soda etc.

I never remembered banana bread rising to a size double of the inital size though as the mixture is more like a dense cake rather than bread.
Mar 23, 2005
58 posts
banana bread isn't suppose to rise that much
the leavening agent is baking soda, not yeast
it's not logical to have it double in size. if it did, everything would spill out because this is a quick bread and its a batter not a dough
the main reason that i can think of is the amount of banada and nuts that you put in.
because this recipe is not in baker's percentage, it is very unaccurate. how much exactly is 1/2 a cup of nuts? 100g? 150? 75? who knows. the same thing goes for bananas
too much of these two ingredients would weight it down. you should try decreasing these two ingredients
as for gluten, mix as little as possible just to incorporate the flour. Quick breads are suppose to be muffin like, the less gluten development the better.

good luck
Dec 4, 2004
382 posts
13 upvotes
Coquitlam
i made banana bread the other day, using this recipe and it turned out spectacular!

1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed banana
1/2 cup margarine

Bake at 350 F for about 55-60 minutes

it actually did rise up a bit. the batter took up just over half of the bread pan, and fully cooked, it just peaked past the top of the pan in height. so it was nearly double in size

and i used NO NAME brand for pretty much everything, except the flour and sugar. and my baking soda and powder have been in my cupboard for well over a year, if not 2
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
4 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
From my experience, don't over mix/beat the mixture. Beating it too much will make it rise very poorly. But it's never supposed to rise a whole lot to begin with. As soon as it looks like it's mixed, you can stop. Don't go nuts with mixing it
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5432 posts
172 upvotes
BC
banana bread isnt supposed to double in size. it only gets a little bit bigger during cooking.

the question is... did it taste ok??

old baking powder/soda could be a reason it didnt rise.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2004
2301 posts
GTA
Keelie wrote: old baking powder/soda could be a reason it didnt rise.

Took the thought right outta my head. :)

Also- if anyone wants to make a lower fat version, substitute apple sauce for some (or all!) of the butter/margarine.

There are some great low fat recipe's kicking around, with LOTSA flavour!
"Feelin' okay this mornin', and you know,
We're on the road to paradise...Here we go"
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
5845 posts
431 upvotes
I forgot to mention that proper procedure is very important as most banana breads follow a similar procedure to that when making a cake so you need to cream the butter and sugar first then beat in the eggs and add the banana and then add the dry ingredients which are usually all mixed together.

Mixing by hand is always best to prevent overmixing with an automated mixer which can often lead to a stiffening of the batter with the release of too much gluten and so the bread may not rise as it should as the stiffness from the gluten bond keeps it down possibly
Oct 3, 2004
339 posts
This is one thing to keep in mind:
Some recipies give you the ingredients for 2 loafs not one but it's not obvious.
I once had the same problem and that was because I poured double the amount of ingredients into the bread pan when I baked it.
Nov 8, 2004
390 posts
4 upvotes
i just made one last week. Follow by Longo's Calandar receipt. It requires Yogurt inside. why your guys' receipt not mentioned?
What's difference?
Waiting ....... and waiting.............
Mar 23, 2005
58 posts
yogurt contributes to taste and texture of the final product
Dec 6, 2003
253 posts
25 upvotes
Leduc
the one with baking soda and yogurt would rise a bit more because baking soda needs an acid to activate (yougurt it that case) baking powder is baking soda with an acid in it (cream of tarter) butter milk would work instead of yogurt
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5432 posts
172 upvotes
BC
Jareds_Mommy wrote:the one with baking soda and yogurt would rise a bit more because baking soda needs an acid to activate (yougurt it that case) baking powder is baking soda with an acid in it (cream of tarter) butter milk would work instead of yogurt
its actually cream of tartar
That's my 2cents worth
× < >