Entertainment

Why do Canadians tolerate Canadian TV network practices?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2012 7:57 pm
[OP]
Aug 12, 2010
141 posts
6 upvotes

Why do Canadians tolerate Canadian TV network practices?

CTV is the absolute worst and most pointless television network to ever grace TV screens on planet Earth.

99% of what it airs is American content (simultaneous substitution of U.S. networks), and it even has a secondary channel dedicated to nothing but U.S. programming as well! Global used to be even worse than CTV at this, but over the last year or so they've really impressed me by cutting down on U.S. content and simsubbing opportunities, as well as the fact that their "secondary U.S. dump" network is gone.

The Oscars last night in particular was a joke. I do not get simsubbing on HD channels, so I was able to compare the CTV feed to the ABC feed throughout the night. CTV's audio quality was completely pathetic, compared to ABC's crisp and clear reception. CTV kept cutting out prematurely to commercials to avoid the in-house message of "brought to you by [ABC sponsor X]", which was extremely unprofessional, and I stayed to watch the full credits to see if CTV would cut away prematurely, and of course they did. There was still about 5 minutes of the Oscar broadcast left after CTV cut to the news, and the simsub probably forced most Canadians to watch the CTV feed anyway.

Don't even get me started on the Super Bowl, which of course CTV spent the entire time promoting their US CONTENT during the commercials. How do we stand for this in Canada? These fools are making millions of dollars from this stupidity, because the advertisers know that the viewers are "tricked" into thinking they are watching ABC, NBC, Fox or CBS when they are in fact watching the CTV feed.

The only argument for keeping CTV on the air while allowing such a huge amount of American content has historically been "news coverage", but that is now obsolete thanks to the Internet. It is time for Canadians to petition to have this pathetic leech of a network that does nothing but press a button to import American TV networks taken off the air, or at least dedicate more than 10% to original Canadian content during PRIMETIME HOURS.
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6078 posts
821 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Well "SimSubbing" is mandated by CRTC, as said in the FIRST LINE of the wiki page you've linked, and it is enacted by your TV service provider (Rogers or Bell for example). Though all Canadian broadcasters had a hand in creating that policy I am sure. So CTV is not entirely to blame but I see your point.

And CTV has some good Canadian shows in the past and present, such as Corner Gas and Flashpoint. Also, a lot people do not get US channels anyway. If you don't live near the border and don't subscribe to a service provider than CTV/Global are the only way you can watch those shows.
There's a sucker born every minute.
[OP]
Aug 12, 2010
141 posts
6 upvotes
number8888 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2012 12:09 pm
Well "SimSubbing" is mandated by CRTC, as said in the FIRST LINE of the wiki page you've linked, and it is enacted by your TV service provider (Rogers or Bell for example). Though all Canadian broadcasters had a hand in creating that policy I am sure. So CTV is not entirely to blame but I see your point.

And CTV has some good Canadian shows in the past and present, such as Corner Gas and Flashpoint. Also, a lot people do not get US channels anyway. If you don't live near the border and don't subscribe to a service provider than CTV/Global are the only way you can watch those shows.

Well, the reason simsubbing was implemented in the first place was to increase advertising dollars for the Canadian networks so that they could produce original Canadian content. But of course they have now hijacked this benefit to their advantage and air virtually every U.S. television show to ever grace ABC, CBS, Fox or NBC, regardless of whether it would be relevant to Canadian culture. You cannot watch any of those U.S. networks during primetime hours without them being simsubbed by either CTV, CTV Two or Global.

Basically, besides being embarrassingly lazy and greedy, CTV and Global TV's practices are contributing largely to the Americanization of Canadian culture. If they actually made more than two Canadian TV shows per decade, maybe Canada could further develop its own cultural identity. It's not that they have never aired Canadian shows, but look at the most recent ones like Flashpoint — how do you distinguish that from a U.S. cop drama? Anyone from outside of North America watching that show would assume it's "American", there's nothing about it that is distinctively Canadian, unlike historical shows like Red Green, Trailer Park Boys and Corner Gas. This is strongly indicative that Flashpoint itself (not to mention that "Rookie Blue" garbage) is a prime example of our culture being Americanized (or should I say Americanised?) due to Canadian TV leeching practices.

No other country's TV shows but Canada's could be mistaken as being "American". Think about that.

What about late night shows? Comedy shows? Anything relevant to Canadian politics or current events? WE HAVE NONE OF THEM except from the taxpayers' CBC, and it's thanks entirely to CTV and Global's greedy practices of airing virtually only U.S. shows and raking in the advertising money.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
number8888 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2012 12:09 pm

OP's in PEI, so he can't pick up US broadcasts. If he wants to ditch CTV and Global he should just cancel his cable and watch CBC.

I understand why "simsubbing" exists, but it's really stupid that they do it during events like the Super Bowl, then go on during the news and other shows about all the "wonderful" American Super Bowl ads - that they didn't air. :facepalm:
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2015 upvotes
Nowhere
CIS wrote:
Feb 27th, 2012 11:22 am
The Oscars last night in particular was a joke. I do not get simsubbing on HD channels, so I was able to compare the CTV feed to the ABC feed throughout the night. CTV's audio quality was completely pathetic, compared to ABC's crisp and clear reception.

I get my tv OTA and there was an audio problem on both CTV and ABC. I was watching CTV and switched to ABC when I first noticed the audio problems so the problem existed with the original feed. The ABC feed was also a few seconds behind CTV.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
CIS wrote:
Feb 27th, 2012 12:45 pm
Well, the reason simsubbing was implemented in the first place was to increase advertising dollars for the Canadian networks so that they could produce original Canadian content. But of course they have now hijacked this benefit to their advantage and air virtually every U.S. television show to ever grace ABC, CBS, Fox or NBC, regardless of whether it would be relevant to Canadian culture. You cannot watch any of those U.S. networks during primetime hours without them being simsubbed by either CTV, CTV Two or Global.

Basically, besides being embarrassingly lazy and greedy, CTV and Global TV's practices are contributing largely to the Americanization of Canadian culture. If they actually made more than two Canadian TV shows per decade, maybe Canada could further develop its own cultural identity. It's not that they have never aired Canadian shows, but look at the most recent ones like Flashpoint — how do you distinguish that from a U.S. cop drama? Anyone from outside of North America watching that show would assume it's "American", there's nothing about it that is distinctively Canadian, unlike historical shows like Red Green, Trailer Park Boys and Corner Gas. This is strongly indicative that Flashpoint itself (not to mention that "Rookie Blue" garbage) is a prime example of our culture being Americanized (or should I say Americanised?) due to Canadian TV leeching practices.

No other country's TV shows but Canada's could be mistaken as being "American". Think about that.

What about late night shows? Comedy shows? Anything relevant to Canadian politics or current events? WE HAVE NONE OF THEM except from the taxpayers' CBC, and it's thanks entirely to CTV and Global's greedy practices of airing virtually only U.S. shows and raking in the advertising money.

FYI, you've been "Americanized" already. "Americanized" is the US spelling. "Americanised" is International English, which we should be using here. If you really want to stand up for Canada against negative US influences,
FYI, you've been Americanized already. "Americanized" is the US spelling. "Americanised" is International English, which we should be using here. If you really want to stand up for Canada against negative US influences, make sure the Region settings - Location, Keyboard, and Format - on your PCs (and those of your friends and relatives) are all set for Canada. Spell-checkers too. Most PCs still come with them setup for the US. I just had to reset my 3 month old laptop right now.

As for shows like Flashpoint looking American, hate to break it to you but that's how major Canadian cities (with the possible exception of QC) look. Not every Canadian show can have the Anne of Green Gables look. :razz: Though that would be great for a comedy. (Republic of Doyle comes to mind - I tuned in to my first episode last week. I'll be watching it again).

We should be able to make our own talk shows and comedies, but sadly most of our talent heads south (or elsewhere) ASAP. The Canadian establishment has never taken our own homegrown talent and products seriously, so that's what inevitably happens. (Look at what happened to the designers of the Avro Arrow 50 years ago for a good example). We'll never be true world-beaters so long as we keep allowing that to happen, but that's what always does.
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17488 posts
1641 upvotes
Woodbridge
Tornado F2 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2012 1:42 pm
OP's in PEI, so he can't pick up US broadcasts. If he wants to ditch CTV and Global he should just cancel his cable and watch CBC.

I understand why "simsubbing" exists, but it's really stupid that they do it during events like the Super Bowl, then go on during the news and other shows about all the "wonderful" American Super Bowl ads - that they didn't air. :facepalm:
It's a joke.

I hate it but learned to accept it like Gas Prices.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
bembol wrote:
Feb 27th, 2012 2:16 pm
It's a joke.

I hate it but learned to accept it like Gas Prices.

I'd happily live with "simsubbing" if they could just lower, or at least freeze, gas and insurance prices. The way things are going, people will soon stay home as much as possible, watching DVDs or streamed content, and traditional TV networks, along with personal automobiles, will be confined to history's scrapheap. Find ways to do more work and education, along with online conversations, without leaving home, and we'll soon become a nation of isolated hermits. Next step, cram everybody into high-rise apartments/condo buildings, and wait for Matrix technology to fully mature. The human race (at least in developed countries) is doomed.