Site Comments & Suggestions

Why do "holiday related" deals have to have a separate area?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2018 10:37 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 9, 2016
185 posts
319 upvotes
Leask

Why do "holiday related" deals have to have a separate area?

A hot deal is a hot deal, regardless of whether it's related to Boxing Day, Black Friday, Arbor Day, blah blah blah. I've probably missed a ton of deals because they were part of a pre-pre-pre Black Friday deal and ended up in the Black Friday forum. I don't care if the site admins want to duplicate Black Friday deals in the Black Friday forum, however a hot deal is a hot deal regardless of when it is, and belongs in hot deals.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5212 posts
1461 upvotes
Space
Just an idea, Can you guys add more categories ? Such as, US BF deals, BF flyers, BF deal discussion, BF hot deals etc, easier to find what we are after.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
10256 posts
16274 upvotes
Scarborough
We can't get anything done for this year but I'm hoping we'll be able to bring in a few changes for next year that will help a lot in this respect. Being able to filter the view to only see what you want to see if a high priority for us.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5212 posts
1461 upvotes
Space
Good to hear.
TomRFD wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 10:15 am
We can't get anything done for this year but I'm hoping we'll be able to bring in a few changes for next year that will help a lot in this respect. Being able to filter the view to only see what you want to see if a high priority for us.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
10256 posts
16274 upvotes
Scarborough
Solsearchin1 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 2:50 pm
Good to hear.
In my perfect RFD world we'd incorporate Black Friday deals into Hot Deals with a clear indication that they are/aren't Black Friday related. You could then easily toggle seeing the forum in mixed view with regular Hot Deals, only regular Hot Deals or only Black Friday deals. Things get too fragmented having 2 separate deal forums. We'd also add additional filters for categories to help (e.g: don't like toys? filter the category out from your view).

I hope 2019 is finally the year we get this. Fingers crossed!
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Sep 30, 2001
27218 posts
6210 upvotes
Toronto
TomRFD wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 3:09 pm
In my perfect RFD world we'd incorporate Black Friday deals into Hot Deals with a clear indication that they are/aren't Black Friday related. You could then easily toggle seeing the forum in mixed view with regular Hot Deals, only regular Hot Deals or only Black Friday deals.
I hope this gets implemented. the current setup is just too awkward, but I guess it probably helps with SEO.
Don't talk about it, be about it
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5212 posts
1461 upvotes
Space
Personally I would prefer the segregated section. Black Friday and Boxing Day are major events for shoppers and IMO deserve a dedicated section which includes deals/discussion. Hot deals is always super full as it is. It’s already hard navigating all the hot deals before they disappear into the depths of the forum lol. Categories are okay if you’re looking for something specific. What about the casual browsers who scour recent posts? I’d bet that’s the majority of people here.
TomRFD wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 3:09 pm
In my perfect RFD world we'd incorporate Black Friday deals into Hot Deals with a clear indication that they are/aren't Black Friday related. You could then easily toggle seeing the forum in mixed view with regular Hot Deals, only regular Hot Deals or only Black Friday deals. Things get too fragmented having 2 separate deal forums. We'd also add additional filters for categories to help (e.g: don't like toys? filter the category out from your view).

I hope 2019 is finally the year we get this. Fingers crossed!
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
3610 posts
2264 upvotes
Burnaby
Solsearchin1 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2018 11:55 pm
Black Friday section clutter - more categories?

Just an idea, Can you guys add more categories ? Such as, US BF deals, BF flyers, BF deal discussion, BF hot deals etc, easier to find what we are after.
BF is a pretty dynamic event that can't be easily and appropriately compartmentalized because 1) it's usually for a collection of very diverse items (not just one or a few items or just a narrow category), 2) sometimes new items are added as the sale takes place and are revealed at last minute.

I don't see how further atomizing (and compartmentalizing) threads into categories can help navigating the forums during this short-term sale events (i.e., hottest deals go OOS quickly). Particularly because the deals are announced through flyers (printed or online) and not through direct link to items on sale (at sale prices) until a few days later during the actual sale. People taking their picks and discussing their merits take place in these threads and only the hottest deals are spawn into their separate threads later on. This method works appropriately as it is. Navigation could be easier if posters used tags appropriately (which they don't). For example tags like "flyer", "US deal", "preview", "doorcrasher", "4K TV", etc. could help users select deals readily clicking on the pertaining tag. (clicking a tag searches all forums by latest post by default, using advanced search with tags allow searches tailored searches in subforums).

Regarding navigating threads by product category, there's a "Category" pulldown selection in the forums webpage and a column in the BF deals webpage that can be used for that. Again, these tools are useful only if posters use an appropriate category when creating a thread.

BF discussion is already a separate forum category.

What would really help finding deals is a forum search tool that allowed compound (complex) queries (and|or|not|wildcards|etc) not sorting threads into a myriad of categories or subforums. In any case, you could just use Google advanced search tools (e.g., site:<forum-you-want-to-explore> <advanced query expression>). BTW. Nope, the current search tools in RFD do not make the cut (neither general search all forums nor search within this forum / search within this thread).

======
RFD-BF2018-HD-ThreadList.JPG
RFD-BF2018-Using-Advanced-Search.JPG
yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion and advertising]
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
1154 posts
1148 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I totally agree with this. I don't know why RFD makes dedicated forums for events like Black Friday and Boxing Day. It's confusing. I have to check 2 forums instead of 1.
It would literally be like creating a new forum, in addition to the regular Hot Deals forum, for each day of the year.

By definition, a deal posted to the Hot Deals forum on Black Friday is a Black Friday deal...