Shopping Discussion

Why do Mail-In-Rebates always take sOoOo long?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2010 6:34 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 4, 2008
280 posts
5 upvotes
Vancouver

Why do Mail-In-Rebates always take sOoOo long?

the "process" period is usually at least 6-8 weeks.

does the company offering the MIR need to verify every single purchase or something else before sending out the cheques?

:mad:
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5853 posts
1511 upvotes
BC
Because the MIR is managed by 3rd. party companies that do them for lots of manufacturers/stores.

They have no motivation to have fast turnaround, and may benefit by the 6-8 week delay,
- some customers will have moved or even passed away by the time the rebate gets mailed, so never gets cashed.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
16908 posts
4600 upvotes
Toronto
macnut wrote:
Dec 14th, 2009 8:17 pm
Because the MIR is managed by 3rd. party companies that do them for lots of manufacturers/stores.

They have no motivation to have fast turnaround, and may benefit by the 6-8 week delay,
- some customers will have moved or even passed away by the time the rebate gets mailed, so never gets cashed.
+1. A lot of people also forget about the rebate after a few weeks. In addition, a lot of people do not keep copies of their rebate forms and receipts so have no proof if they run into any problems.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5489 posts
872 upvotes
Toronto
I avoid any deal that has MIRs. Too much running around.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
2617 posts
968 upvotes
Toronto
icqboy51 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2009 7:25 pm
Why do Mail-In-Rebates always talk sOoOo long?
Maybe spelling mistakes on your form.....ha,ha
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2002
5713 posts
201 upvotes
My OCZ rebate came back within a month because I paid 3$ out of the 25$ rebate for them to process it faster. No complaints (well unless the check bounces lol).
Apr 5, 2008
678 posts
86 upvotes
It's december and I mailed in my rebate for OCZ back in september. I've had to contact customer support 2 times so far to atleast get the rebate status as approved. Good thing about OCZ rebates is that they can be tracked...but the bad thing is that you have to keep on top of it to make sure it get's looked after. Kind of a pain in the ass just for $40.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11669 posts
1384 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I just got my OCZ rebate in, also. It was sent at the end of Aug.

WARNING: It's a prepaid Master Card, as expected. However, it comes in a normal Citi Bank envelope. When I first saw it, I thought it was just Citi Bank trying to get me to sign up for a credit card :) . I didn't get around to checking it out a few days later. Just a heads up, in case you automatically shred what you think is junk mail.

PS. Unlike the other dude above, I just waited patiently. I didn't try contacting the rebate centre, wondering what's going on. It was no hassle at all.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2006
1731 posts
105 upvotes
macnut wrote:

Exactly, there's no incentive to process it with any speed.

Oh I hate rebates. I was refused a rebate on a Creative Zen MP3 player that I bought at BB a few years ago. What a pain. I'm so glad BB, FS and Costco stopped doing rebates.

I'm actually pretty disciplined about sending in rebates (though it's been a long time since I've bought something with one), but it's gotten to the point were I don't factor the rebate into the product price. There's just no guarantee that you'll get your money.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6225 posts
883 upvotes
The rebate company collects interest on the money that they owe you. If a rebate is $25 they can put that into a short term savings account and collect a couple points on it. Multiply that by the millions of rebates for various products over the course of a year and it adds up nicely (not as much as it used to of course when interest rates were much higher). The longer they hold it the more they make on your rebate.

I suspect that the rebate processing company processes the rebates for free and doesn't charge the original manufacturer anything for this service. In turn the manufacturer isn't going to complain about slow payment of rebates because they know they are getting the service for free, everything being paid for by the interest being collected.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1603 posts
138 upvotes
Hampton
I think the most likely cause for delay is that the process is probably something like this:

1 - Receipt etc received at Canadian processing centre via mail or website upload
2 - Scanned images of documentation sent to India for validation and data input etc
3 - Data sent back to Canada
4 - Screwed up data sent back to India with comments
5 - Repeat steps 3 & 4 for 3 weeks.
6 - Data verified by Canada - request for funds sent to company providing rebate
7 - Company sends request for funds to its own centre in India for processing
8 - Repeat steps 3 & 4 for 1 week
9 - Funds transferred to rebate company
10 - Cheque request sent to India for processing by rebate company
11 - Repeat steps 3 & 4 for 1 week
12 - Rebate company issues cheque to customer
Aug 5, 2005
466 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
I've never received any of my MIR when I send them in. I avoid purchses of those bc it's a waste of a stamp. =P lol
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2006
3433 posts
283 upvotes
Downtown Canada
I too actively avoid MIR products. I was once denied a valid rebate claim, and when I contacted them about it, they said "sorry, rebate period has expired." I kid you not.

It is the biggest "legal" scam since MLM came to Canada. Although a few rare companies still handle their own (like Apple, I believe).

:cool:
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2002
3569 posts
22 upvotes
Sask
macnut wrote:

Not true. The company that wants to offer a rebate gets to decide how long the money is held. The rebate fulfillment companies give them a menu of choices and financial breakdown for each campaign:

a) make your customers wait 6 weeks --> worth $2000
b) make your customers wait 10 weeks --> $3000
c) make your customers wait 12 weeks --> $4000

They also give them parameters to play with to try and increase 'breakage', which is the industry's term for customers whose claims they can deny.

a) 30 day time limit to submit --> breakage + 20
b) 21 day time limit to submit --> breakage + 40

The actual processing and verification takes a few days at most. Even with the shadiest one out there, you can go look at your scanned documents within days of submission.

If the company whose product you purchased wanted, they could pay your rebate within a week. Apple does for example.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2008
4367 posts
506 upvotes
Scarborough
fakishan wrote:
Dec 15th, 2009 8:57 am
My OCZ rebate came back within a month because I paid 3$ out of the 25$ rebate for them to process it faster. No complaints (well unless the check bounces lol).
That's probably exactly it...They want you to 'spend' the extra money so you get the 'expediated' shipping

rabbit wrote:
Dec 15th, 2009 6:25 pm
I just got my OCZ rebate in, also. It was sent at the end of Aug.

WARNING: It's a prepaid Master Card, as expected. However, it comes in a normal Citi Bank envelope. When I first saw it, I thought it was just Citi Bank trying to get me to sign up for a credit card :) . I didn't get around to checking it out a few days later. Just a heads up, in case you automatically shred what you think is junk mail.

PS. Unlike the other dude above, I just waited patiently. I didn't try contacting the rebate centre, wondering what's going on. It was no hassle at all.
Has anyone tried cashing in the CC, like doing a cash advance? I'd rather have money in the bank than have to use the CC when I buy something else.
Help Contribute to our Wedding Fund :) A wise fortune cookie once told me this:
"A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist"
FS: Christmas Window Decor :lol:
FS: 10mm H&R Trak+ wheel spacers, 5x100/112, 57.1c/b