Automotive

Locked: Why do normal people buy BMW, Benz, etc.? Why?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2012 3:05 pm
[OP]
Banned
Jul 10, 2012
620 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto

Why do normal people buy BMW, Benz, etc.? Why?

Why do average (aka "not rich", average income) people spend hard-earned money on an expensive, highly depreciatable asset like BMWs and Benz when you can get a decent one with better quality at far cheaper price? They spend 80k on a car that is riddled with all sorts of problems and lose so much of their value compared to Japanese or even American cars? Why?!
"The larger [European] manufacturers, Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz, are among the worst automakers overall," Consumer Reports said.

It turns out that expense and luxury don't always equate to reliability, said Jake Fisher, senior automotive engineer with Consumer Reports. Often, there is an inverse relationship.

Big luxury cars come with "a lot of power equipment, electronic gizmos and complexity," Fisher said, "and that means more chances for something to go wrong."
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct/27 ... y-20101027
But "Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz are among the worst automakers overall in terms of reliability," CR says. And among the worst individual models in the 2011 ratings: the supercharged Audi A6 3.0T (not a turbo, despite the "T"), Jaguar XF, Mercedes-Benz E-Class coupe, BMW's 135i and its Mini Cooper convertible.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/au ... 7_ST_N.htm
Share:
240 replies
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
528 upvotes
ballers spend 78K on 335i and lose 28K after taking delivery. :)
Feb 7, 2012
331 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
For some, it's a status symbol; for others, it's because they are fun to drive; for others still, it's because they love one particular car. Whatever their reasons, it's their money and they are welcome to do with it as they please, it doesn't affect me one bit!

Disclosure: shopping on Audi at the moment =P
[OP]
Banned
Jul 10, 2012
620 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
aTywin wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2012 3:37 pm
For some, it's a status symbol; for others, it's because they are fun to drive; for others still, it's because they love one particular car. Whatever their reasons, it's their money and they are welcome to do with it as they please, it doesn't affect me one bit!

Disclosure: shopping on Audi at the moment =P
I would perfectly understand if it was a good car - then status symbol makes sense. I am saying they are not good cars and doesn't really help with status symbol when the car is low in reliability.
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
528 upvotes
shuffler wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2012 3:42 pm
I would perfectly understand if it was a good car - then status symbol makes sense. I am saying they are not good cars and doesn't really help with status symbol when the car is low in reliability.
you have stats of the low reliability? or you just grabbing stats out of the air?
[OP]
Banned
Jul 10, 2012
620 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
packardbell wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2012 3:46 pm
you have stats of the low reliability? or you just grabbing stats out of the air?
See my post - I have posted articles.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2005
2436 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
Because "normal" people are boring. They are like sheep flocking towards one of two options:
1) cheap and reliable
2) status symbol

And there are only a few brands of each category that have been engraved into their minds. They don't know or care enough whether it's a good car or not.

I'll only own a car that has character or some special engineering to it.
May 23, 2011
674 posts
94 upvotes
:facepalm:

A status symbol has nothing to do with reliability, it has to do with cost. Nobody looks at an expensive car and contemplates the reliability, they look at it and think "That's an expensive car, that person must be rich."

Especially considering 90% of the population probably has no clue about how reliable particular brands of cars are. They just hear a commercial where the narrator has a thick german accent and immediately assume it's a good car.

Also, the majority don't buy them, they can't afford to; they lease them.
Banned
Dec 18, 2011
3995 posts
951 upvotes
Mississauga
Not every Audi, BMW, Mercedes is $80K+. That's GT-R/Porsche money. You can find plenty of excellent BMWs/Mercedes/Audis for $35K.

But to me, you lost all credibility when you said they have lower resale value than GM. You either have no idea what you're talking about or you're trolling.

Note: I've also never owned a BMW/Mercedes/Audi in my life. I currently drive a truck worth probably $2500 that I've had for as long as I can remember. I maintain it and it serves me well. That and I'd have to stretch the budget to afford a $30K+ luxury vehicle.
Oct 22, 2012
596 posts
50 upvotes
shuffler wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2012 3:32 pm
Why do people spend hard-earned money on an expensive, highly depreciatable asset like BMWs and Benz when you can get a decent one with better quality at far cheaper price? They spend 80k on a car that is riddled with all sorts of problems and lose so much of their value compared to Japanese or even American cars? Why?!

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct/27 ... y-20101027

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/au ... 7_ST_N.htm

It's like this. You can get a Samsung Galaxy SIII for a phone, or you can get one of those very simple Nokias 1110s. The Nokia is very reliable, very cheap and probably has less quality problems too. However, people want more, better quality stuff. They pay more to get those stuff. Sure the SIII is fragile and it may not be as dependable as the Nokia 1110, but with the SIII you get a lot more technology, better convenience and better status. A BMW/Benz/Audi has lots of technology and they do sell them at a high price. So what? A beige 1999 Corolla may be a more reliable transportation than say a 2013 BMW 760Li in the long term, but those who can afford it will choose the BMW. Why? Because there is so much more comfort and convenience and luxury found in the BMW.

we need 240silvia and jon04cts here. They can probably explain why they bought expensive cars (e.g. Acura RL and Caddy CTSs) instead of Honda Civic DX with no air con or power windows or locks or mirros and a Pontiac Wave (rebadged Kia Morning).
PozzyD wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2012 3:55 pm
Not every Audi, BMW, Mercedes is $80K+. That's GT-R/Porsche money. You can find plenty of excellent BMWs/Mercedes/Audis for $35K.

But to me, you lost all credibility when you said they have lower resale value than GM. You either have no idea what you're talking about or you're trolling.
Lol i didn't notice that.
shuffler wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2012 3:42 pm
How are they not good cars? Define your definition of "good". wait, scrap that because I don't want to know. Oh, and status symbol is independent of reliability. I cannot imagine how far I will go to not have a dinner with you.

This fits the situation fo this thread perfectly.
TROLL IN THE DUNGEON!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oynJcSnLSI4
[OP]
Banned
Jul 10, 2012
620 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
PozzyD wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2012 3:55 pm

Where in my post did I say that? Can you show me? I said they lose more of their value - so if you buy 1 GM for $17k and sell for $5k after 5 years, you lose $12k. If you do the same with the 80k, after 5 years you sell for tops $30k, so you lose $50k. Reading Comprehension -1.
Nov 15, 2004
241 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
I'd love to own an M5 just to be able to take it to the track.
Banned
Dec 18, 2011
3995 posts
951 upvotes
Mississauga
shuffler wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2012 3:58 pm
Where in my post did I say that? Can you show me? I said they lose more of their value - so if you buy 1 GM for $17k and sell for $5k after 5 years, you lose $12k. If you do the same with the 80k, after 5 years you sell for tops $30k, so you lose $50k. Reading Comprehension -1.
shuffler wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2012 3:32 pm
riddled with all sorts of problems and lose so much of their value compared to Japanese or even American cars?
Lol, you're also comparing total dollars lost on a car that costs 20% of what you're trying to disprove to begin with,

Yeah you're definitely trolling, nobody is that stupid.
[OP]
Banned
Jul 10, 2012
620 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
kennyopti wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2012 3:56 pm
Because they don't want to live like SH**

It's like this. You can get a Samsung Galaxy SIII for a phone, or you can get one of those very simple Nokias 1110s. The Nokia is very reliable, very cheap and probably has less quality problems too. However, people want more, better quality stuff. They pay more to get those stuff. Sure the SIII is fragile and it may not be as dependable as the Nokia 1110, but with the SIII you get a lot more technology, better convenience and better status. A BMW/Benz/Audi has lots of technology and they do sell them at a high price. So what? A beige 1999 Corolla may be a more reliable transportation than say a 2013 BMW 760Li in the long term, but those who can afford it will choose the BMW. Why? Because there is so much more comfort and convenience and luxury found in the BMW.

we need 240silvia and jon04cts here. They can probably explain why they bought expensive cars (e.g. Acura RL and Caddy CTSs) instead of Honda Civic DX with no air con or power windows or locks or mirros and a Pontiac Wave (rebadged Kia Morning).

Lol i didn't notice that.

How are they not good cars? Define your definition of "good". wait, scrap that because I don't want to know. Oh, and status symbol is independent of reliability. I cannot imagine how far I will go to not have a dinner with you.
Comparing cars and cell phones. I ain't even going to respond to that insane comparison... Don't worry nobody asked you to have dinner with me.
May 23, 2011
674 posts
94 upvotes
shuffler wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2012 4:02 pm
Comparing cars and cell phones. I ain't even going to respond to that insane comparison... Don't worry nobody asked you to have dinner with me.
It's called an analogy. And it's a very good one at that.
× < >