Home & Garden

why do painters simply paint around light switches and outlets, shouldn't they remove the cover at least? big issue

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 6th, 2020 1:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
3364 posts
788 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON

why do painters simply paint around light switches and outlets, shouldn't they remove the cover at least? big issue

So a painter cut corners and simply put painters tape around every light switch and outlet and simply painted around them. when the job was done i purchased some new decora receptacles and light switches to change the old ass ugly beige ones, and to my surprise, about half the light switches and covers can show some of the old paint colour around it. My guess is the new outlets and face plates are probably slightly different size than the old ones so the gap is a noticeable difference especially in the kids room where we changed the colours, it takes two friggin seconds to remove a cover and get a good coverage for the switch, how hard is that? also one of the face plates where he painted around was "glued" to the wall from the paint so when i removed it, it ripped off some of the paint and dry wall layer, what a dufus. im going to call the guy to come back and ask for him to touch up all the light switches and outlets that he cut corners on.
Hi
55 replies
Apr 8, 2010
721 posts
376 upvotes
toronto
most don't put tape... they just cut into the light switches as it's faster. I feel you though, takes a minute or so to take them off.

next time, hope there will not be a next time but get a utility knife and cut around the paint/ face plate to get it off if it's stuck
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
13352 posts
13701 upvotes
Oakville
GoodFellaz wrote: So a painter cut corners and simply put painters tape around every light switch and outlet and simply painted around them. when the job was done i purchased some new decora receptacles and light switches to change the old ass ugly beige ones, and to my surprise, about half the light switches and covers can show some of the old paint colour around it. My guess is the new outlets and face plates are probably slightly different size than the old ones so the gap is a noticeable difference especially in the kids room where we changed the colours, it takes two friggin seconds to remove a cover and get a good coverage for the switch, how hard is that? also one of the face plates where he painted around was "glued" to the wall from the paint so when i removed it, it ripped off some of the paint and dry wall layer, what a dufus. im going to call the guy to come back and ask for him to touch up all the light switches and outlets that he cut corners on.
Yea, that's shitty work and that guy should never get a recommendation. It takes just as long to tape around it as it does to take off the plate, and taking it off gives a much better result. Are you sure he even taped it? He probably just painted up to the plate.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9059 posts
7346 upvotes
Markham
Just like with everything else in life, you get what you pay for.
Nov 23, 2011
507 posts
471 upvotes
West GTA
This should be a question when you are hiring a painter.

There are many little or even big things a painter should do, but if you want the bare bones cheap price.. this is the mess you will get.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3731 posts
1743 upvotes
Most people not only painters don't remove them.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
13352 posts
13701 upvotes
Oakville
Anikiri wrote: Just like with everything else in life, you get what you pay for.
Hopefully the OP did pay very little. If he paid a lot for this paint job, shame on the painter even more.
mickman wrote: This should be a question when you are hiring a painter.
There are many little or even big things a painter should do, but if you want the bare bones cheap price.. this is the mess you will get.
It shouldn't have to be a question, but clearly removing plates and taping edges has to be pre-agreed upon.
Feb 11, 2018
610 posts
556 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: So a painter cut corners and simply put painters tape around every light switch and outlet and simply painted around them. when the job was done i purchased some new decora receptacles and light switches to change the old ass ugly beige ones, and to my surprise, about half the light switches and covers can show some of the old paint colour around it. My guess is the new outlets and face plates are probably slightly different size than the old ones so the gap is a noticeable difference especially in the kids room where we changed the colours, it takes two friggin seconds to remove a cover and get a good coverage for the switch, how hard is that? also one of the face plates where he painted around was "glued" to the wall from the paint so when i removed it, it ripped off some of the paint and dry wall layer, what a dufus. im going to call the guy to come back and ask for him to touch up all the light switches and outlets that he cut corners on.
Did you remove pics and other objects from the wall or did the painter removed them? If it is you who removed them then you should have also taken the time to remove the two screws from each plate so you can remove the plate. It is that simple. A cordless electric screwdriver makes the job very easy.

Trades people are always in a hurry as they are paid per job, not per hour. Always make it as easy and as quick as possible for the people you hire.
"God is light and Satan is the necessary darkness or shadow to set it off, without which pure light would be invisible and incomprehensible" - E. Levi
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2328 posts
1354 upvotes
Toronto
They're paid to paint, not take things apart. Your job is to prep, or be clear with the person you hire on what is part of the job.

Would you expect them to remove wall mounted light fixtures, or ceiling fixtures if they were painting the ceiling?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
15167 posts
1804 upvotes
Out west
We hired a painter in the past due to the size of the project. Did an amazing job, every door was taken away and sprayed off site, which of course was weird for a day with no doors

Anyway, he said, anything we want to remove we can remove ourselves, or he would paint around it. He was upfront, and it made sense to me, how is he supposed to know. If it was a little labout for us to save him time, so be it

Every wall plate was removed, even the cold air return vent covers. Anything hung on the wall was gone, even if screwed Never had an issue. Wasnt much work for us, and allowed no lines to worry about
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
1815 posts
1033 upvotes
Toronto
I would say the issue here is what you paid, if you paid a cheap price that's the quality you'll get. Now at least you know to put it in the contact that you wish the covers to be removed.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
7648 posts
2253 upvotes
WikkiWikki wrote: We hired a painter in the past due to the size of the project. Did an amazing job, every door was taken away and sprayed off site, which of course was weird for a day with no doors

Anyway, he said, anything we want to remove we can remove ourselves, or he would paint around it. He was upfront, and it made sense to me, how is he supposed to know. If it was a little labout for us to save him time, so be it

Every wall plate was removed, even the cold air return vent covers. Anything hung on the wall was gone, even if screwed Never had an issue. Wasnt much work for us, and allowed no lines to worry about
Yup. This is the norm. If you want paint behind the covers, take them off before the painter shows up.

You really want them charging you labor for something as simple as turning a screw left then going around and turning them all right after painting and cleaning up?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
15167 posts
1804 upvotes
Out west
Gutty96 wrote: Yup. This is the norm. If you want paint behind the covers, take them off before the painter shows up.

You really want them charging you labor for something as simple as turning a screw left then going around and turning them all right after painting and cleaning up?
Lots of times thats when you decide if you want to change things anyway. Maybe a picture goes to a new spot, or removed completely. And as well, dont have to worry about things getting painted on as well
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2274 posts
252 upvotes
North York
OP, agree it's lazy painting - they should have said before the job started that is what they will be doing.

I don't think touch up's will look good, just go and buy the oversized wall plates, instead of the standard size ones - IMO they don't look great, the scale is wrong. But they'll look better then the old paint poking around each plate.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
9800 posts
6230 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
What's stupid is that it probably took longer to tape around the edges of the cover (assuming they took their time) than to have just removed the cover. :lol:
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!