Shopping Discussion

Why do people buy sale items that are priced higher than normal price at other stores

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 5th, 2015 12:47 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 28, 2015
52 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Maybe it was just an impulse purchase. I like to look things up and compare prices all the time. Some people either don't realize they can, or don't think it'll make a difference, or don't think it's worth the hassle. But to me, nothing feels as good as a great find for a great price - I totally feel like I've won every time ;)
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4783 posts
1328 upvotes
Richmond
jetsetr wrote: You do realize you are wasting data when you do this? This is so un-RFD
Fido's 1$ data pass for 10 mb is enough for a few quick searches. $1 is cheaper than getting ripped off for $40+
Dec 29, 2014
577 posts
534 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
bluebellrose wrote: Fido's 1$ data pass for 10 mb is enough for a few quick searches. $1 is cheaper than getting ripped off for $40+
40$ worth of 1$ 10mb = 400MB
40$ would get 1-2GB of data = 1000-2000MB
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21133 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Generally the people buying overpriced stuff at Target are not savy/smart shoppers. They have no idea what the market price of these items are and have the mentality that 25-40% off is better than nothing. They fail to realize that they are saving little to no money on some products. I see people buying toilet paper.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2003
4646 posts
746 upvotes
For the same reasons that Bell and Rogers have so many customers.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2003
4646 posts
746 upvotes
One could also ask why Bell and Rogers have so many customers. People are lazy and generally unaware of how much money they are flushing down the toilet.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3097 posts
474 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
That anyone even uses Fido, Rogers, Bell, Telus, etc is a testament itself.
I find it hard to imagine any excuse besides decades-old grandfathering of old contract pricing to not switch to Wind (or Mobilicity a few years ago).

bluebellrose wrote: Fido's 1$ data pass for 10 mb is enough for a few quick searches. $1 is cheaper than getting ripped off for $40+
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4783 posts
1328 upvotes
Richmond
carmaster wrote: Generally the people buying overpriced stuff at Target are not savy/smart shoppers. They have no idea what the market price of these items are and have the mentality that 25-40% off is better than nothing. They fail to realize that they are saving little to no money on some products. I see people buying toilet paper.
some of the stuff on sale at target right now on clearance is on clearance at target.com for the exact same price. And some of the stock i see is actually new arrivals at target.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
Simple, they may not know the price at other stores, and dont spend all their time hunting for deals, or waste their time going store to store.

Also, people may not be from the area, or have to pick something up in an emergency. They could see something they forgot they needed and decided to pick it up.

Reasons are many, doesnt make it wrong
Feb 17, 2008
285 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
the proper term is an uneducated consumer. that what a retailer wants thats on there last legs that holding low cost inventory. ctc is an example of methodology, the worst retailer to deal with, always a step behind the times and a dollar short from a customers pocket. the herd will thin themselves out.
Dec 24, 2011
891 posts
634 upvotes
eldeejay wrote: That anyone even uses Fido, Rogers, Bell, Telus, etc is a testament itself.
I find it hard to imagine any excuse besides decades-old grandfathering of old contract pricing to not switch to Wind (or Mobilicity a few years ago).
You know, not everyone lives in a City.

Hell, even the ones that do but travel across provinces would easily go with Telus/Rogers/Bell due to cell coverage.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
cstriker045 wrote: You know, not everyone lives in a City.

Hell, even the ones that do but travel across provinces would easily go with Telus/Rogers/Bell due to cell coverage.
Most RFD members cant grasp that concept
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
Tornado F2 wrote: Why do young people want overpriced Apple products? Because usually it's their parents' money being spent, not money they've earned. Some people obviously don't understand the real value of money. Usually those who have plenty of it.
I'm not a 'young people' and I've earned every bloody penny I spend and still choose Apple over anything else. I've been ripped off by MS one too many times and decided to switch to Apple after being fed up. I've always received stellar service from Apple so I've kept on supporting them.

I'll pay an extra 20% at Target or anywhere for that matter just to not have to set foot inside Walmart, wait in line like a cow at a slaughterhouse, navigate through skids of crap laying all over the place and catch whatever disease the riff raff are carrying these days in the bathroom. To me an extra $20 out of every dollar I spend it worth it.

I'm by no means cheap. There's more to life than going out of my way to save a buck or two...I look for deals that offer value.

All this to say cheap people shouldn't judge people who make spending decisions for personal, spiteful or ethical reasons.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
4594 posts
19429 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
[quote="Cas77" post_id="21797825" time="1425490367" user_id="13621"]

I'm by no means cheap.
QUOTE]

you're on the wrong forum then buddy.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7009 posts
6859 upvotes
Ottawa
wserib wrote: Was at the Target liquidation sale and saw somebody buy a toaster oven for sale price of 75$ while the same model is 50$ at walmart?
Honest to goodness truth? People, generally, are either stupid or ignorant.

I checked it out and couldn't believe the amount of the grocery stuff that was already gone. Everything was full price minus 20%, which still seemed somewhat expensive to me.

Then again, I don't know why people really shop at Independent etc, when there are stores that price match. I'd much rather go to one store and price match the front of the flyers if there is something I wanted.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
Blanche123 wrote: Kind of pathetic that some people think you have to be cheap to appreciate a good deal.
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
56 posts
2 upvotes
Westmount, QC
You should at least give us some more information, what brand, toaster has so many level, just like coffee machine !
May 21, 2014
418 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Konowl wrote: Honest to goodness truth? People, generally, are either stupid or ignorant.

I checked it out and couldn't believe the amount of the grocery stuff that was already gone. Everything was full price minus 20%, which still seemed somewhat expensive to me.

Then again, I don't know why people really shop at Independent etc, when there are stores that price match. I'd much rather go to one store and price match the front of the flyers if there is something I wanted.
Ya a lot of the target food is still priced higher than the normal prices at any other grocery store yet people are clearing the shelves. I was waiting for at least 50% off the food items before I would consider it. Targets before price is jacked up so high!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2007
4439 posts
109 upvotes
gh05t wrote: Not everyone is as price conscious as RFD'ers and /or know about the flyer websites etc for easy price comparison.

I know for small ticket items, sometimes it's not worth the gas or time it would take to go pick something up that fifty cents cheaper at another supermarket.

Some people are just lazy to do research and may not have initially intended to buy the toaster oven before visiting Target, until they saw it "On Sale".

Some people have good jobs and incomes or housewives with rich husbands and $25 is chump change for them so does not matter.
+1

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)