• May 27th, 2015 5:43 am
Tags:
None
Banned
Apr 9, 2015
22 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Some of them have fancy lights to show off, some really don’t know its on or of and most of them don’t care.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
9734 posts
3815 upvotes
Brampton
UrbanPoet wrote:
May 21st, 2015 11:30 pm
My fog lights are... Strictly ornamental! The originals burned out and i replaced it with these cheAp LED ones from ebay... Same yellow color, but not bright at all... Its only bright enough to illuminate that yellow color to give the illusion of fog lights lol.
What a waste the IS300 actually has good projector fog lights.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
9734 posts
3815 upvotes
Brampton
Most 'fog' lights on cars today are just aesthetic trinkets called 'driving lights'

Doesn't do squat in fog or anything really. It becomes an issue when jimbob mcredneckbeard decides a huk huk HID everything = gooder.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2011
1485 posts
347 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
May 21st, 2015 3:02 pm
Wow, exaggerating much?
Considering both vehicles are driving pass each other...it's only "in your face" a few secs!
Even if you see it from 1 mile away, the intensity is minimal!
Not in pitch black roads.
daivey wrote:
May 21st, 2015 3:44 pm
fog lights suck.. even when there is fog they dont really do anything.
Not in thick fog. I already drove on the highway at night (mind you at low speeds because the fog was dangerous) with only my corners + fog lights + street lights. I couldn't see anything with my normal lights. Same applies for big snowstorms with thick flakes.

The problem with modern or unmodded cars in Canada is you can't have the fog lights run independently from the regular lights. To have them on, the normal lights need to be also on... They become ornamental and can't be useful when they should (only fog lights + corners).
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
9734 posts
3815 upvotes
Brampton
ToNIX wrote:
May 22nd, 2015 9:06 am
Not in pitch black roads.

Not in thick fog. I already drove on the highway at night (mind you at low speeds because the fog was dangerous) with only my corners + fog lights + street lights. I couldn't see anything with my normal lights. Same applies for big snowstorms with thick flakes.

The problem with modern or unmodded cars in Canada is you can't have the fog lights run independently from the regular lights. To have them on, the normal lights need to be also on... They become ornamental and can't be useful when they should (only fog lights + corners).
Those lights that can't turn on without the low beams being on are ornamental 'driving' lights. Can't even be called real driving lights as those are supposed to work with highbeams on.
Banned
Jun 28, 2012
5562 posts
813 upvotes
Calgary
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote:
May 21st, 2015 10:24 am
When it's not foggy outside?
Because I have a pretty expensive LED fog kit in my car, 6000k 18w/per and unlike most fogs, these put out a lot of light so when I have it doubled up with my HIDs in their projectors, it looks amazing and gives me double the light. My fogs light up right from my bumper front and sides within 3ft outwards and the HIDs covers 2.5ft and beyond. I adjust them so that they overlap about 6" so that I have no cut off between the two.

Ive gotten quite a few compliments from strangers on how nice it looks at night.
daivey wrote:
May 21st, 2015 3:44 pm
fog lights suck.. even when there is fog they dont really do anything.
Thats cause yours are factory halogens. Upgrade them to LEDs and throw in a full LED conversion kit with ballasts and I gaurentee you will change your mind. My LED fogs are actually brighter than my 35W HID headlights. This is why I decided to pay the money for a high quality LED kit, I want them to be actually useful, plus the bulb life on them is like 50,000 hours. Trying find that in halogens. Even if it dies in 25,000 hours, I would have sold the car well before then. Nice knowing the bulbs will most likely outlast the car.

You get what you pay for. I would not own a car that has a single halogen bulb inside.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15320 posts
4610 upvotes
Because they are superstitious and believe using the fog lights will prevent fog from arriving. :cheesygri
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7006 posts
790 upvotes
Toronto
EdLeafs wrote:
May 21st, 2015 10:50 am
Probably so that they can see further and clearer at night.
Fog lights are not designed to allow the driver to "see further and clearer at night".
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1487 upvotes
Montreal
Shawns13 wrote:
May 22nd, 2015 3:38 am
The true purpose of fog lights is not to help you see better in the fog, but rather be seen better by oncoming traffic. They serve the same purpose as rear fog lights.
The Honda Accord I drive sometimes helps in fog greatly. If I toggle fog lights on/off it makes a HUGE difference in visibility.

I can see how people forget them on...same vehicle is manual switch. If you forget to turn them off, they will stay on next time you drive.
Oct 23, 2009
44 posts
8 upvotes
tebore wrote:
May 22nd, 2015 9:01 am
Most 'fog' lights on cars today are just aesthetic trinkets called 'driving lights'

Doesn't do squat in fog or anything really. It becomes an issue when jimbob mcredneckbeard decides a huk huk HID everything = gooder.
plus the car burns more gas driving with unnecessary lights on
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1487 upvotes
Montreal
w3s wrote:
May 22nd, 2015 1:32 pm
plus the car burns more gas driving with unnecessary lights on
but, the lights heat up the air infront of you, making your car glide easier giving it a performance boost.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14630 posts
1036 upvotes
Markham
neverhaveiever wrote:
May 22nd, 2015 3:03 pm
but, the lights heat up the air infront of you, making your car glide easier giving it a performance boost.
I used my fog lights at the strip and it give me a 0.1s improvement!
ShadowVlican
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11453 posts
1063 upvotes
ShadowVlican wrote:
May 22nd, 2015 3:17 pm
You should just cover your car in fog lights then. Install enough and it'll turn your car into a time machine.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15320 posts
4610 upvotes
ShadowVlican wrote:
May 22nd, 2015 3:17 pm
Is not 0.1S within the margin of error?
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2007
4711 posts
912 upvotes
London
It looks better. It's not like they actually help with fog or add anymore light. They're practically useless other than to look nice or be more visible on the road. Might as well put them to use while you have them.