• May 27th, 2015 5:43 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2006
3503 posts
103 upvotes
Halton
No problem with fog lights it's just extra driving lights when it's dark. I drive with mine on at night.

Now the yellow fog lights are useless unless it's foggy
Enjoy Life
Nov 17, 2014
590 posts
303 upvotes
Ontario
spham wrote:
May 22nd, 2015 4:36 pm
It looks better. It's not like they actually help with fog or add anymore light. They're practically useless other than to look nice or be more visible on the road. Might as well put them to use while you have them.
Ah so here is one of those people who think their ride looks cool with them on. It makes you look like an idiot more than anything, unfortunately. "Hey look at that guy driving with his fog lights on when it's clear out, what a tool!"
Feb 3, 2015
970 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote:
May 21st, 2015 10:24 am
When it's not foggy outside?
My drl are my fogs. So its on during the day.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1494 posts
159 upvotes
Oakville
I'm usually using my fogs during darktime. They do provide much better visibility at closer distance to 9-11 and 1-3 directions. Pretty important on dark country roads, etc.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2007
4716 posts
920 upvotes
London
Copper1212 wrote:
May 22nd, 2015 11:00 pm
Ah so here is one of those people who think their ride looks cool with them on. It makes you look like an idiot more than anything, unfortunately. "Hey look at that guy driving with his fog lights on when it's clear out, what a tool!"
I guess I'll just leave them there and only use them for the two times a year where I actually encounter fog even though they don't actually do anything in the fog and are put there for aesthetics. It's not like I'm using them in the middle of the day. They're only on at night.

Some of you people have some issues if you let a couple of lights bother you that much.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1465 upvotes
Pickering
I used to run the fog lights all the time on my older A4. The headlights were amongst the worse I have seen and the fog lights were actually in the headlight. The reasons that the Canadian A4 has stricter crash requirements and the bumper was bigger so there were no room for the fogs down low. So leaving them on contributed a bit and his the shameful amount of headlight output available.

On that car I could control the front and rear dogs separately and only used the rear when appropriate.
Nov 17, 2014
590 posts
303 upvotes
Ontario
spham wrote:
May 22nd, 2015 11:50 pm
I guess I'll just leave them there and only use them for the two times a year where I actually encounter fog even though they don't actually do anything in the fog and are put there for aesthetics. It's not like I'm using them in the middle of the day. They're only on at night.

Some of you people have some issues if you let a couple of lights bother you that much.
Technically yeah you should only use them the couple times a year that they are necessary. That's what I do. You think it looks aesthetically pleasing a lot of other people think it looks idiotic and pointless. Not everyone thinks you have an extra sweet ride because you have them on.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1297 posts
218 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
I was stopped at a police check for drunk drivers. The officer asked why I had my fog lights on, and said that having them on without there being foggy conditions was illegal.
Banned
Jan 28, 2015
883 posts
226 upvotes
Markham
robertz wrote:
May 23rd, 2015 6:43 am
I was stopped at a police check for drunk drivers. The officer asked why I had my fog lights on, and said that having them on without there being foggy conditions was illegal.
"I hit a patch of fog 800m ago"
Feb 24, 2013
359 posts
45 upvotes
Ontario
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote:
May 21st, 2015 10:24 am
When it's not foggy outside?
If they are real fog lights they are usually amber, have a very low, wide beam that only lights up the surface of the road and would never bother oncoming traffic. Or are you really talking about driving lights, which are higher up and have beams that light up the road a greater distance than regular high beams? Many modern cars have daytime running lights that are amber and may look like fog lights to some people.
Feb 1, 2014
802 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
Have them on all the time and wired them with turn signals to stand on all the time as well. They make an aggressive stance and other drivers notice me coming and provide a better closer view. Not sure why all cars don't come standard with them and use them as DRL like how nissan does.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2007
2419 posts
172 upvotes
I drive with them on all the time.

Better visibility, at least with this specific car. Not speaking for all types. There is a clear difference when I turn them off. I completely understand that at high speeds it won't help much because I won't be able to stop in time for anything that comes my way. But I also drive at low speeds.

Also, it helps others see me. Four lights are more visible than two. You may say this is unnecessary as drivers should be able to see you just with the headlights on. Maybe, but remember that there people on the road who shouldn't be on the road (unskilled drivers, poor eyesight, drunk, etc.). While foglights aren't the only way to make yourself more visible and you can never be certain if or how much they'll help in any given situation, it takes a second to turn them on so why not.

I don't really understand the blinding concerns. I turned my lights on then go out and stood/crouched down in front of my car to see what other drivers would see. Didn't see an issue. I've also been driving for 10+ years and I've never been blinded by fog lights.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
22979 posts
7992 upvotes
Toronto
Blinding concern has more to do with those whio put in hid kits into halogen fog
Feb 24, 2013
359 posts
45 upvotes
Ontario
booblehead wrote:
May 24th, 2015 9:42 am
Blinding concern has more to do with those whio put in hid kits into halogen fog
There should be no blinding concern from proper fog lights, properly aimed.
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2010
2590 posts
665 upvotes
Vaughan
1. The car looks better with them on
2. It adds some extra light on the road
3. It is aimed low and does not distract oncoming traffic
4. The car just looks sooo much better with them on

/end thread.