• Feb 23rd, 2011 1:15 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 10, 2006
851 posts
42 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Aug 26th, 2010 6:24 pm
All laminate for me... and tile in the bathroom. But I don't like that my hallway to my door and kitchen are laminate too.

As a pet owner... no carpet is key!
+1
Frosc wrote:
Aug 26th, 2010 6:37 pm
I like seeing a bit of carpet rather than just having it all bare; I prefer when it matches the drapes though.
Your carpet matches the drapes? lol
Dec 15, 2009
671 posts
8 upvotes
historically carpet was seen as something the affluent could afford to put down in their homes. people w/ hardwood were viewed as people who could not afford such luxury.

we bought a great century home where the elderly owners carpets the entire house save 2 of the 4 bedrooms. we need to refinish the floors due to the zillion staple/tack holes in the floor, and due to it being worn but this couple grew up in a time where if/when they became wealthy enough to lay carpet they were conditioned to do so.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4109 posts
150 upvotes
Well I am a pet owner and I still prefer carpet on the second floor. Luckily my dog does not shed. I think its because I grew up in a house without carpet that I got used to the comfort of walking around barefoot on carpet. We chose to put hardwood/tile on our main floor and carpet on the second floor. Much nicer to get out of bed onto a soft, warm floor. We even put a carpet runner on the stairs--mainly to prevent wipeouts from us and the dog :) Something about carpet feels cozier. Even in the areas where I have hardwood I plan to get area rugs for the centre of the rooms.
Nov 29, 2007
839 posts
80 upvotes
Victoria BC
Justine wrote:
Aug 26th, 2010 6:47 pm
Your carpet matches the drapes? lol
In color. Not length, that would be kinda gross. :(
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10200 posts
1008 upvotes
Brampton
mbg wrote:
Aug 26th, 2010 5:49 pm
If you already invested in a vacuum cleaner, it is not too useful with other flooring types. So, to recoup your investment you may continue to use carpet.
That's not true. We have central vac & it's very useful with other flooring types! I use it almost everyday (to clean up after our 3 kids :D )
on our hardwood floors & tiles :) Just make sure you have a special attachment for hardwood floors.
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
Mar 23, 2008
3772 posts
300 upvotes
Toronto
I am a huge carpet fan. Hardwood looks nice, but the fact that carpet is soft and warm when steped on really makes me feel at home. Surely there are cons such as vacumning, hard to clean after a spill, but the overall effort for its comfort is worth it.
Nov 4, 2007
767 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
We have 2 small kids and it just feels more comfortable lying down on the carpet and playing with them than it would on hard wood / laminate - not as homey. We have tile in the kitchen and bathroom and I can't see myself rolling around on those surfaces with my kids.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3320 posts
349 upvotes
Toronto
The people living above us have hardwood/laminate and I wish they had carpet... can hear it whenever they drop something on the floor.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
1788 posts
205 upvotes
Vancouver
I personally do not like carpet, but I do not mind it in the bedroom. Once could also use a throw on rug beside the bed for those without carpeted bedrooms so when getting up one does not have to step on a cold floor.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
394 upvotes
GT&A
How often do you vacuum your carpets?
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Mar 15, 2008
510 posts
32 upvotes
Montreal
mbg wrote:
Aug 26th, 2010 5:49 pm
Personally, though... I don't like carpet but I like the idea of dust being trapped in carpet rather than floating around everywhere.

Not exactly how it works. The dust, allergens, etc get trapped and can accumulate in the carpet (as much as hundreds of times the concentration in the air). They get released back into the air from disturbance (from walking, etc). It also becomes very difficult to remove them with a vacuum, with studies showing that you have to repass the same area 16 to 24 times to reasonably clean it (which nobody does).
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10047 posts
104 upvotes
longitude wrote:
Aug 30th, 2010 1:42 pm
How often do you vacuum your carpets?

24 times a day, and a bit more on weekends.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28497 posts
837 upvotes
Fernando Po
Its cement for me.
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” -HL Mencken
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
394 upvotes
GT&A
mbg wrote:
Aug 30th, 2010 1:56 pm
24 times a day, and a bit more on weekends.

It feels good after a good vacuum session, the carpets spotless and clean.

I like walking over it barefoot to feel the cleanliness.
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
× < >