Pets

Why do people pick dogs instead of cats?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2017 11:23 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11461 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch

Why do people pick dogs instead of cats?

I can't think of 1 thing that makes dogs better than cats.

Dogs make noise. Cats don't.
Dogs make a mess in the house. Cats don't.
Dogs leave yucky smell. Cats don't.
Dogs wreck stuff. Cats don't.
Dogs get aggressive and bite people. Cats don't.
Dogs take off and you need to chase them down the damn road. Cats can roam the house and outside without incident.
Dogs seem to require overall too much maintenance. Cats seem more independent.
Having a cat doesn't add a whole host of chores like dogs do.

Cats are easy to deal with. They are very discreet about where they litter. It took me a while before I ever noticed what their poop looked like. Dog poop is left by them anywhere and they piss on things everywhere.
What is nicer? Starting the day to the aroma of Febreeze, or the 'smell of dog'? Where I live, I walk out of my room and am greeted by the smell of dog.
Don't like it one little bit!
I hate jane and finch
59 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
8074 posts
2877 upvotes
Toronto
Dogs has more personality I suppose.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2342 posts
151 upvotes
I don't think my cat liked me very much since I was too full of energy when I was young. He favored my parents more than me.

A dog is likely to complement my personality more than a cat. The more love you give to a dog the happier they become.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11461 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 8:50 am
Dogs has more personality I suppose.
I guess personalty might be something. Dogs are more 'active' with their owners. So that might be a factor.

But I guess you must be a real lover of how dogs are, or the negatives listed above are discouraging.

Funny how my landlord is talking about cats vs dogs right now lol
I hate jane and finch
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11461 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Cats can be litter trained so no need to worry about taking your pet out. Dogs, if you don't take them out at the right time, you come home to a nasty surprise on the carpet.

Of all the pets, dogs require the most work and bring the most nuisance PERIOD.
I hate jane and finch
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2430 posts
1307 upvotes
I don't own either, but I find cats smell way worse than dogs. It might be just that most dogs pee or poop outside, whereas most cast are litter trained indoors? Cat owners can't tell what 'cat smell' smells like. You gotta be an outsider.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11461 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
superfresh89 wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 9:04 am
I don't own either, but I find cats smell way worse than dogs. It might be just that most dogs pee or poop outside, whereas most cast are litter trained indoors? Cat owners can't tell what 'cat smell' smells like. You gotta be an outsider.
I always find this waft of dog smell passing my nose in this house. 'dog BO'
I have never noticed 'cat smell' in houses with cats. Definitely less noticeable than dogs. The BO from these yucky dogs is more obnoxious than any house with a cat and kitty litter I have seen.

As for hygiene, I think dogs have at least as much need as we do for cleaning. They need to be bathed. Maybe that is why I smell this. If they bath them, maybe I would not smell it.
Last edited by Ilovejaneandfinch on Sep 28th, 2017 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
I hate jane and finch
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
3712 posts
458 upvotes
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 8:35 am
Having a cat doesn't add a whole host of chores like dogs do.
this ... I do prefer dogs (all the way) but if I had to choose to have one of those two in the city it would be most likely a cat ...
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2430 posts
1307 upvotes
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 9:09 am
I always find this waft of dog smell passing my nose in this house. 'dog BO'
I have never noticed 'cat smell' in houses with cats. Definitely less noticeable than dogs. The BO from these yucky dogs is more obnoxious than any house with a cat and kitty litter I have seen
I must disagree. Can't stand the smell of cats. I used to have a dog... Would get a dog again over a cat for sure.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2430 posts
1307 upvotes
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 9:09 am
As for hygiene, I think dogs have at least as much need as we do for cleaning. They need to be bathed. Maybe that is why I smell this. If they bath them, maybe I would not smell it.
Yes. When we had dogs, they were bathed weekly in expensive organic oatmeal shampoos. It's expensive and requires a lot of work to take care of a dog.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11461 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
superfresh89 wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 9:12 am
I must disagree. Can't stand the smell of cats. I used to have a dog... Would get a dog again over a cat for sure.
Ok I don;t know why my experience has been different.
lubmar wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 9:11 am
this ... I do prefer dogs (all the way) but if I had to choose to have one of those two in the city it would be most likely a cat ...
Maybe this is why I like cats more. I am a Toronto person.
I hate jane and finch
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11461 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
superfresh89 wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 9:15 am
Yes. When we had dogs, they were bathed weekly in expensive organic oatmeal shampoos. It's expensive and requires a lot of work to take care of a dog.
This right here is why. If I don't like dogs enough, I would not take on the cost and work required.
I hate jane and finch
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7215 posts
991 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Let me put this out there as a cat owner.

They do smell. They are noisy (especially when they get older and are going deaf). They do leave messes (but hairballs are usually fairly controllable). They can also interact with their owners and play and greet you when you get home.

As much as I would like a dog, it is so much easier to be able to go away for a number of days and not have to find someone to take care of the pet. Maybe some day but for the moment, they are just too much extra effort. Heck, I am waiting for the cat to go...
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11461 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
don242 wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 9:22 am
Let me put this out there as a cat owner.

They do smell. They are noisy (especially when they get older and are going deaf). They do leave messes (but hairballs are usually fairly controllable). They can also interact with their owners and play and greet you when you get home.

As much as I would like a dog, it is so much easier to be able to go away for a number of days and not have to find someone to take care of the pet. Maybe some day but for the moment, they are just too much extra effort. Heck, I am waiting for the cat to go...
Ok well here is something we all seem to agree about. Dogs are a lot of work.
I hate jane and finch
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
2824 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
Wait till your cat takes an evil turn, goes senile etc. etc. etc. and decides to start peeing/spraying all over the house....then talk about smell.