Pets

Why do people pick dogs instead of cats?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2017 11:23 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11461 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
silky28 wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 9:28 am
Wait till your cat takes an evil turn, goes senile etc. etc. etc. and decides to start peeing/spraying all over the house....then talk about smell.
It is like leaving the hurricane prone east coast to Alberta where tornadoes happen instead. Tornadoes are worse, but very rare you encounter it.
Same for cats doing that stuff you said. I don't think it is common.
What dogs do is on a daily basis.
I hate jane and finch
Deal Addict
May 31, 2006
1057 posts
102 upvotes
Burlington
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 8:35 am
I can't think of 1 thing that makes dogs better than cats.

Dogs make noise. Cats don't.
Dogs make a mess in the house. Cats don't.
Dogs leave yucky smell. Cats don't.
Dogs wreck stuff. Cats don't.
Dogs get aggressive and bite people. Cats don't.
Dogs take off and you need to chase them down the damn road. Cats can roam the house and outside without incident.
Dogs seem to require overall too much maintenance. Cats seem more independent.
Having a cat doesn't add a whole host of chores like dogs do.

Cats are easy to deal with. They are very discreet about where they litter. It took me a while before I ever noticed what their poop looked like. Dog poop is left by them anywhere and they piss on things everywhere.
What is nicer? Starting the day to the aroma of Febreeze, or the 'smell of dog'? Where I live, I walk out of my room and am greeted by the smell of dog.
Don't like it one little bit!
One simple answer: cats are disgusting!!!

Actually, two answers. The second: to a dog, you're a god... to a cat, you're merely staff. Who the hell would want to be a slave to a cat? :facepalm:

Oh, and... cats don't wreck stuff and don't leave a smell? You've clearly never been owned by one!

Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14269 posts
1551 upvotes
Toronto
Cats give you brain parasites. Dogs give you love.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
2826 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 10:04 am
It is like leaving the hurricane prone east coast to Alberta where tornadoes happen instead. Tornadoes are worse, but very rare you encounter it.
Same for cats doing that stuff you said. I don't think it is common.
What dogs do is on a daily basis.
cat spraying is very common and it often emerges when there is a lifestyle change...ie starting a new job where you are away more.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1845 posts
224 upvotes
In another world
Cats usually ignore people when they're called. Unless they're hungry, then they come.
A dog generally greets their owners when they return home with a wag. Or when someone is a stranger, some dogs bark and advice. Cats ignore them.
I'd say, point for dogs.

Mexico earthquake: rescue dog who has saved 52 lives in her career searches for more victims
People rescued by a dog: 52
People rescued by a cat: 0
Point for dogs.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4963 posts
2461 upvotes
Edmonton
I've had cats, and we've got dogs now. My $0.02...

Cats DO wreck stuff. Just as much as dogs. And they're not as "trainable" as dogs, in my experience, to get them to stop doing the negative behaviours. And dogs can be crated during the day or at night, when you're not paying attention to them.
Cats... Do their business in their litter box, scratch around in there to cover things up... Then promptly jump up on your kitchen countertops and/or pillow. Nice...
Cats do mark their territory and make messes in the house. We had one cat that seemed to think it was his job to mark all our dirty laundry. Eventually we just threw it in a closet and shut the door so he couldn't.
I've been attacked by cats before. Usually a sneak "hit-and-run" across the ankles. Not life-threatening. :)
Cat litter boxes do smell.
Cats shouldn't be outdoors (IMHO). They crap in other people's flower and vegetable gardens, and their lives are typically shorter than indoor cats. Dogs are easily contained in your own yard.

Dogs are more maintenance. Can't be gone for more than 10 hours from our house without arranging some form of care. Cats... If you get someone to pop in and check on them every couple of days, being gone for a week isn't a problem.
Dogs are louder/noiser. Ours aren't particularly well trained (they came with my GF), and bark at anyone going past in the backyard. But they're pretty good in the house. But our cats would also yowl when they were hungry. Or lonely. Or bored.
May 25, 2010
643 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
There is a pet forum for this post....

Also, I have a dog and would continue to choose a dog over a cat. Just my personal preference,.She is also super clean and well behaved. And when I say super clean, I literally MEAN super clean. I have not bathed her for over half a year cause she is never dirty and has no BO at all. I do wipe her butt when she poops and clean her paws when I take her out for a walk, mind you she is a short haired chihuahua.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/pets-f120/
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7973 posts
789 upvotes
Ottawa
It's a personal preference thing?

FYI you can probably list half of those annoyances to kids and yet people still want to have kids lol. Living beings all have faults and that's part of what makes them who they are.
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
13920 posts
9536 upvotes
Toronto
I've had both. Just finished fostering 3 kittens. They were fun and destructive.

Currently have a 3 year old Golden Retriever at home.

For my lifestyle a dog is great. Having one encourages me to get out and take long walks/explore the city getting my step count up. Also dogs can be amazing icebreakers. On the street and transit it isn't unusual for me to get stopped often by people that want to greet the dog.

With 3 kittens at home you could definitely smell their presence. Even with us cleaning the litter box very meticulously...

To each their own though. Cats are great for pest control in some cases and provide companionship on their own terms.
"Had one yesterday and there was a full slice of onion no thinner than a polio shoe.

I cried out in despair." RFD user Dingus
Apr 25, 2011
712 posts
266 upvotes
British Columbia
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Dogs make noise. Cats don't.
I have 4 cats. They all make varrying degrees of noise, one is downright annoying the amount he meows sometimes. Some dogs hardly bark.
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Huh? What kind of mess? If you mean pooping in the house the simple answer is housebreak your dog. Most dogs can hold it several hours. Sometimes my dogs haven't been out in 12 hours. No issues. If you mean ripping stuff up then cats can too. Cats have destroyed many plants, carpets, furniture, and just last night one of them somehow opened a cupboard downstairs and dumped out all its contents on the floor. A few weeks ago one of the cats knocked over my water glass too. Dogs past the puppy stage that are well cared for (don't become bored) usually don't wreck stuff. Cats can have hairballs and that is pretty messy...
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Dogs leave yucky smell. Cats don't.
Have you been around a cats litter box recently? Especially after they've just gone... It clears a room sometimes.
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
I owned a cat that wrecked not just furniture or carpets or plants (and watch out if they have PICA!) but an entire house. He sprayed everywhere.
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
I have scars on my body from cats biting me, not dogs. Many from my own cats. One of them would just randomly viciously attack. Otherwise he was lovely. Crazy but lovely. I have a cat right now that plays too rough and another that hates to be held and will bite.
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Dogs take off and you need to chase them down the damn road. Cats can roam the house and outside without incident.
Dogs can roam the house without incident as well. They ALSO can come when called if trained. Mine are off leash every single day with zero issues. My cats on the other hand, if they escape the house are a nightmare tracking down...
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Dogs seem to require overall too much maintenance. Cats seem more independent.
This is a pro or a con depending on your lifestyle and what you are looking for in a pet.
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Having a cat doesn't add a whole host of chores like dogs do.
Such as? I enjoy walking and interacting with dogs daily. I hike with my dogs and go swimming with my dogs frequently.

Just because you are strictly a cat person does not mean dogs do not have many wonderful traits. You get what you put into them. Sounds like you've spent time around dogs where people do not actually have time for them.
Last edited by Karala on Sep 28th, 2017 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18606 posts
3706 upvotes
Thornhill
I have both, works out pretty well :)
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1441 posts
359 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Based on parts of your bullet list, you definitely haven't seen MY cats haha. Cats can have special needs and be high maintenance too.
"So let it be e-mailed - so let it be done!"